Getaway questions

Qwksilver

We are leaving on 7/10/16. Normally we like to "wing it" while on vacation. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Do I need to reserve the specialty restaurants before I board? Basically will the restaurants be full all week? I'm not sure what nights I want which food...

2) What about tickets/reservations for the comedy club, dueling piano bar... same as above, are these venues full all week?

Thanks as always,

Scott

It's impossible to say whether restaurant reservations will be absolutely necessary on your cruise. In the past few years I have been on some cruises where you could just walk up every night just about anywhere and others where things have been fully booked days in advance. A couple of years back, on a back to back cruise one the situation was totally different from one week to the next.

All I would say is that if you don't prebook things then you run the risk of not being able to get in where you want.

Perhaps just book a couple of places that you particularly fancy. You can always change reservations when onboard. Just wing it the other days, knowing that you may find everywhere is full on a particular night and have to go to the MDR or similar instead.

I'm not sure of the current situation regarding booking the comedy shows on the Getaway. It isn't something I bothered with when I was onboard, as I prefer my comedy to be funny. I think that reservations are usually available onboard though.

There's no problem with the duelling pianos though. No reservations at any point. People just wander in and out throughout the evening like a normal bar.

1. No, you do not need to make reservations, but you should. You can do this online pre-cruise or on board. I did not have any problems changing res times or venues over three sailings. I also didn't wait more then 15 min for stand by. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

2. Sort of, the reservation list will fill for the comedy shows in Headliners pretty soon so if you can, make a reservation. However, I have always gotten in stand by arriving about 15 before the show. For the show in the main theater, there's always been plenty of space.

I would use the wall computers when you get on board to make ressies for Headlines the first day because we waited and things got sold out. Luckily we went a few minutes late and there were seats.

As for specialty dining, I did my ressies 90 days out and I'm glad I did, it was one less hassle. But it also got me jazzed for the trip. If that doesn't do it for you and you are a wing it type, go for it!

I, like other posters like to reserve dining and shows, even evening ones in the theater. Believe it or not the Burn the Floor show on our May Getaway trip was "sold out" one night for the later showing. We also had the ability to reserve the Headlines venue for the dueling pianos one night- they took everyone who reserved first and then as folks left they let others waiting in. We just like to get a table we prefer. There are kiosks which are touch screen that you can use to reserve shows and dining for the whole week. The kiosks are activated after the muster drill and are very easy to use. :)

My basic advice -- if you really want to see/do something, book it before you get on board or as soon as you get on board. If you want to book Tepanyaki, I would definitely do that ASAP since it is a small venue.

Also, the later you get in the cruise, the more likely things will be booked up. You will most likely be able to walk into most restaurants at the beginning of the cruise. At the end of the cruise...not so much. People have the tendency to wait until the end and then try to fit everything in.