Differences between Cunard Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth

rose6

Differences between Cunard Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth

I would appreciate any insights experienced Cunard cruisers could offer us. Our last nine cruises have been with Celebrity, and if any of you have sailed both Cunard and Celebrity, how would you compare them? Thank you in advance for your opinions and observations.

Most differences between QE and QV are decorative. QV is three years older than QE. The sterns are different so QE can carry a few more people. QV does not have a Britannia Club category of stateroom. (These last two items are supposed to change in next year's QV drydock.)

QV does not have a Britannia Club category of stateroom. (These last two items are supposed to change in next year's QV drydock.)

Yes, and yet looking at 2017 voyages, there are still no Britannia Club balcony cabins showing to book.

There will hardly be any difference between the two ships if this does go ahead. The QE has short mat bowls, croquet and two ping pong tables (QV only has one).

Hello

I have sailed on both and booked on the QE for the August cruise to Iceland and Norway.

I greatly prefer the QV because it has the Chart Room a rather large open lounge that is popular during the day and evening. The QE has no such lounge as the space is devoted to the Britannia Club dining room. The lack of this lounge on the QE means more crowding in other lounges most especially the Commodore Club. For this reason I avoid the QE if it all possible. It is sad to me and others that Cunard plans to eliminate the Chart room on the QV in favor of a club dining room. (Although we are hearing reports that Cunard is reconsidering this plan in the face of blowback from regular passengers such as myself. Time will tell.)

In addition, since there is a sports deck directly over the Commodore Club on the QE. One can hear a soft thud overhead as passengers are playing games and heavy balls are being tossed around. . This can get very annoying if you are looking for a quiet space during the day. There is no such sports deck over the Commodore Club on the QV so it is a quieter room.

Other than these two differences the ships are similar.

My favorite ship remains the fabulous Queen Mary 2 on which I will be sailing on August 9. Hope to see you on board!

Deck Chair.

While QM2 is my favourite ship, QE and QV are very similar but I feel there is a nicer atmosphere on QV. Though this is, of course, very subjective.

At the end of the day I'm more than happy to travel on any and/or all of them - and as often as possible!

QV has it for me because of the lovely Chart Room. I shall be really sad if it goes. I also like the Winter Garden, especially when they open the roof. And I agree with Cruiseluvva about the atmosphere which is better on QV. And, despite it being the newer ship, more things (such as toilets,etc) seem to be out of order whenever we are on QE.

That said, I would be very happy to be on either, they are both lovely, it is just that QV has the edge for me.

We've only sailed once on Celebrity---the Equinox. We liked it, but prefer Cunard (particularly the QM2). Last sailed on each line in 2014.

The daytime speakers aboard Cunard ships have been a delight for us. Diverse and interesting topics always offered! Celebrity had acrobats perform in the main lobby (as a contrast). We have been treated to London stage vocalists on Cunard versus a xylophone player on the Equinox (a very good xylophone player, but it was like vaudeville vs Broadway and we prefer Broadway). In addition, there are cinema offerings on Cunard, featuring newly released movies, and the planetarium shows.

The furniture on Cunard ships is very comfortable for enjoying a quiet reading time in a public area. Not so (in our opinion) on the Equinox.

Food on the Equinox was a little better, but nothing dramatically so. Our stateroom on Equinox was roomier (we typically book inside cabins). The on-demand movies on the Equinox were convenient, while on Cunard ships, it was been difficult to find the movie schedule (and in-room selection of movies seem dated.)

Service was somewhat better on Celebrity. Not a matter of bad attitude, but more Cunard seems to overwork its personnel (in my opinion). On the other hand, it isn't important for me to find "animals" made of towels on my bed--that was a feature on Celebrity that is absent on Cunard---and basic needs (food and cleanliness) are very well met on both lines.

The libraries on Cunard ships have a great selection of books---not so on Celebrity.

We met lovely people sailing on both cruise lines.

Pleased to hear it as it still only had one in May last year.

and one when I got off in May of this year....it was always in use so wouldnt be surprised if they added another one though it would be a bit crowded in that small space...

and one when I got off in May of this year....it was always in use so wouldnt be surprised if they added another one though it would be a bit crowded in that small space...

There are two in the same space on the QE. There is a walkway in between them for access to the door. There were tables and chairs stacked in the area last year.

Thank you Jimmybean, that was exactly the type of analytical comparison I was hoping that someone would provide. It is hard to give up the loyalty benefits on Celebrity to try Cunard, but recent cut backs and price increases on Celebrity have encouraged me to look into other cruise options. The lectures on a transatlantic are of great importance to me and I was pleased to see that you had a favorable opinion of what Cunard offers.