An Alaskan Adventure on the Sun - Pictorial Review with Menus, Dailies, and Puppies.

shadowmeboy

Enjoying your review! Heading out on the Sun two weeks from tomorrow via Vancover. Can't wait! Thanks again for your time.

Enjoy it. You'll feel right at home when you get on after this.

Thank you for this review with all the great photos, I have to wait until next May for my trip on the Sun, and this is great. Have been on the Pearl several times to AK, but not the Sun, so I am finding this very helpful.

Glad to help. Enjoy your trip! The Sun is small but a wonderful ship.

Love the look of the Sun! Norwegian should be paying you for some of your photos and put them on their website ;) A few questions:

1) Does the spa have a large thermal suite with a large pool in the coed area?

2) How was the Park West Gallery staff on board (if you got to interact with them).

Keep the review going :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you for this great review! I am really enjoying all of your photos and commentary. I am also enjoying your positive attitude and sense of humor.

Can't wait for my turn on the Sun for 2 weeks in October! And I think I have already gained weight just reading the menus you posted! ;)

Thanks again for all your efforts.

No problem and thank you for reading. I hope you don't gain too much more with the upcoming food pictures! ;)

Thanks for posting the pictures. Scrolling thru and remember one of the best trips of my life. Did a Northbound Alaska cruise tour last year on the Sun. Beautiful pictures.

I am glad I can bring back a great memory for you.

Thank you so much for doing a photo review...I know the effort that it takes! :)

We are booked on the Sun for a 14-day Alaskan cruise next year and I was excited to see "my balcony" on one of your exterior shots of the Sun.

Looking forward to seeing what all you did in the ports!

Glad I got it for you! I love sharing my pictures, what fun is it to take them if others can't enjoy as well. Plus, Cruise Critic is helping each other out, and i want my review(s) to be lightbulb moment or inspiration for someone else.

Seriously one of the best reviews I have read!!! Your pictures are amazing!:)

Thank you. I am shocked at some of the pictures i was able to get myself.

Love the look of the Sun! Norwegian should be paying you for some of your photos and put them on their website ;) A few questions:

1) Does the spa have a large thermal suite with a large pool in the coed area?

2) How was the Park West Gallery staff on board (if you got to interact with them).

Keep the review going :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1.No, It has Sauna/Steam Rooms but no Thermal Spa. The spa is deck 11 mid on the starboard side, not forward like other ships.

2. The limited interactions were fine, mostly in passing as we went by the gallery.

Will do!

Here is your Day 2 daily.

NCLSunDailyDay2pg1.jpg

NCLSunDailyDay2pg2_1.jpg

NCLSunDailyDay2pg3.jpg

NCLSunDailyDay2pg4.jpg

We woke up and planned out the Day's action. We had a Meet & Greet, a Latitudes party, a VIP party, Captain's Pictures, plus Hubbard Glacier. It was going to be a busy day.

We were moving at a good pace this morning, and you could feel the waves. We were fine without motion sickness pill or patches, though.

I love Main Dining Room breakfast for the choices. When we got the invitation to go to VIP Breakfast I was torn. I didn't know what to expect, and so I was hesitant. Susan suggested we go this first morning, see how it is, and then decide if we wanted to continue going to breakfast there or the MDR. You will notice there are going to be no pictures of me eating at the Garden Cafe. I do not like the atmosphere, and will avoid it like the plague.

IMG_0517.jpg

Oops, someone forgot to update the Captain on the Invitation for tonight. Its Captain Svedmark not Captain Borg, who got off at Seward.

d0d3e09c-6967-42d8-8cb1-fdb4f694a5c8.jpg?t=1468117897

We took these so we could remember when the parties were.

We arrive at VIP breakfast in La Cucina.

IMG_2168.jpg

We find this buffet spread.

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

We ordered coffee and they brought a huge French Press! French Pressed Coffee is my favorite. I was in heaven here!

IMG_2171.jpg

Susan got some fruit from the spread.

IMG_2172.jpg

She was more enamored with the tiny jam jars on the table!

IMG_2173.jpg

Fruit and cottage cheese, yes!

IMG_2174.jpg

Had to try these as well, although Susan shared these with me!

IMG_2175.jpg

Gulf of Alaska as we sail West.

IMG_2176.jpg

Traditional Egg's Benedict - one of my all time favorites.

IMG_2177.jpg

Susan had the Smoked Salmon Frittita with Asparagus

IMG_2178.jpg

I also had to try the Crab Cake Benedict. Someone had to make sure they were safe. Why not me?

IMG_2179.jpg

Rami (shortened for simplicity sake) was our server the night before here in La Cucina, and again here at Breakfast. We looked forward to seeing her each day, and she was one of 3 vacation hero's for us!

IMG_2181.jpg

After Breakfast, we headed back to the stateroom. We had a later breakfast today, due to an exhausting day yesterday. When we were passing through the Atrium both to and from our Stateroom, we watched a little of the fruit carving demonstation.

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

We went up to deck 6 and walked along the open deck to the aft of the ship.

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

It was almost time for the Meet & Greet, so we headed up to Las Ramblas.

IMG_2197.jpg

Getting set up for the Meet & Greet. group Sevices Coordinator Gringo Necesito and his staff set up Las Ramblas.

IMG_2200.jpg

Due to the make up of our cruise, a ton of first time cruisers, we had a very inactive Roll Call. That was until the itinerary changes started happening, and the Roll Call exploded. We had about 30 say there were going to come and about 10+ actually showed up.

I was introduced to Hotel Director Brian Walters, who would introduce the staff, and then we could ask some questions of the staff.

Here are the Senior Staff from out Meet & Greet.

IMG_2199.jpg

From Right to left (<--- for those of you who may be directionally challenged) Brian Walter - Hotel Director; Rico Taubert - Food & Beverage Director; Windchester Barracks - Beverage Manager; Mihaela Mocan - Restaurant Manager; Ailstair Fonseca - Executive Chef

IMG_2198.jpg

From Right to Left: Edgar Horlador - Executive Housekeeper; Claudia Condurachi - Guest Service Manager; Iain Bagshaw - Cruise Director; Gringo Necesito - Group Service Coordinator

Susan and I spent a good amount of time interacting with members of our Meet & Greet Attendees.

Thank you to everyone who came.

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2203.jpg

After the Meet & Greet, we headed back out to Deck 6. We had about 45 minutes between the Meet & Greet and Latitudes party.

IMG_2206.jpg

What should I do? well lets take some more pictures!

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

Look another cruise ship! The Regent Seven Seas Mariner passed us headed toward Seward or Whittier.

IMG_2215.jpg

i was able to spend a few additional minutes talking to Hotel Director Brian Walters beofre the doors were opened. We had a nice short conversation about the ship and the cruise thus far. Finally they opened the doors to the latitudes party being held in the Stardust Theater.

IMG_2216.jpg

The band playing on entrance.

The Latitudes Party was awesome, and the free drinks weren't bad either! Got to love me some free Rum punch!

IMG_2217.jpg

Juan Franco - one of the Cruisenext team was MCing the event.

IMG_2219.jpg

Captain Svedmark indtroduced himself and spoke briefly.

IMG_2220.jpg

He talked about how the drydock in April/May had killed all the bacteria in the water treatment plant onboard. They had yet to get the levels required by the State of Alaska to discharge waste inside State waters, thus we had to have a itinerary change to facilitate the dumping of treated sewage which did not meet Alaska levels by going to Sitka. Sitka is out on the Pacific Ocean, and not in the inside part of Alaska's Southweast. Therefore, we were able to get far enough out to Sea to discharge on our way to and from Sitka.

IMG_2222.jpg

The Captain introduced the Senior Staff: Left to Right this time: Antun Puljizevic - Chief Engineer; Brian Walters - Hotel Director; Rico Taubert - Food & Beverage Director; Iain Bagshaw - Cruise Director

We were one number off from winning the big prize. The people behind us won, and got 3 bottles of wine plus other gifts. We congradulated them and they asked if we wanted a bottle. We said sure, so they gave a us a Champagne.

We were hungry by this point and it was nearly 1:30pm. Since we were on 6 aft, we headed to Seven Seas MDR.

IMG_2230.jpg

Lunch menu from Seven Seas

IMG_2231.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

See the line in the water. You can see the where the glacier melt and the Pacific Ocean are meeting.

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

Hubbard Glacier ahead

IMG_2249.jpg

Sugar Free Lemon Cake

IMG_2250.jpg

'Madagascar' Vanilla Bean Creme Caramel

-- Note: I will finish Cruise day two tomorrow. I don't want to rush through Hubbard Glacier, becuase those are some of my favorite pictures.

We're not planning a trip to Alaska or on the Sun, but your review and photos are great. We will be on the Gem in September and it was good to see the specialty restaurant menus, as they seem to be the same through the whole fleet. Already hear the lobster fra diavolo calling my name!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Edited by jm485

We're not planning a trip to Alaska or on the Sun, but your review and photos are great. We will be on the Gem in September and it was good to see the specialty restaurant menus, as they seem to be the same through the whole fleet. Already hear the lobster fra diavolo calling my name!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Thank you. There may be small changes between ships but no huge differences. The Lobster Fra Diavolo was simply amazing. It has a little spice, but its not overwhelming. It simply was a fabulous meal to eat.

Edited by shadowmeboy

Lets get going again!

IMG_0520.jpg?t=1468194030

We returned to the stateroom and found this awaiting!

IMG_0521.jpg?t=1468194147

They were good!

IMG_2251.jpg

We headed up to the outside observation deck outside the observation lounge.

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

Edited by shadowmeboy