An Alaskan Adventure on the Sun - Pictorial Review with Menus, Dailies, and Puppies.

shadowmeboy

following

Looks great so far,

can you let us know about the Sewerage smell in the back of the ship, i am booked on the Sun in early September and are right behind the lifts on deck 10 and this has me very concerned

Sylva

following

Looks great so far,

can you let us know about the Sewerage smell in the back of the ship, i am booked on the Sun in early September and are right behind the lifts on deck 10 and this has me very concerned

Sylva

Same as us! we sail a few weeks earlier, but will be in 0324. I noticed that a recent review by 3Fluffies (I think) does mention occasional whiffs, even after the brief refit.

Same as us! we sail a few weeks earlier, but will be in 0324. I noticed that a recent review by 3Fluffies (I think) does mention occasional whiffs, even after the brief refit.

We are 0326 so when i say right behind i mean it :eek:

my email is sglie1 @ yahoo .com

if you could email me with any info that would be great, I'm also worried about the noise, but the price was just to good so we booked anyway and are hoping for the best.

sylva

We are 0326 so when i say right behind i mean it :eek:

my email is sglie1 @ yahoo .com

if you could email me with any info that would be great, I'm also worried about the noise, but the price was just to good so we booked anyway and are hoping for the best.

sylva

Ditto. I have a feeling that once we are aboard the crew will look after us well and any hiccups quickly sorted. These forums are a double-edged sword: so full of information but many sources of worry too. With luck the nasty niffs will be fleeting and outside the cabins. Crikey! You are literally right behind the lifts!!! :eek: Better pack those ear plugs! ;)

We return during the first week of September and I will report in - I hope we don't cross! I bet you're on the Sept 5th sailing?

:rolleyes:

AMF

following

Looks great so far,

Sylva

I only smelled an occasional wiff of sewage smell, but I smelled it outside on deck 6. When I was aft on the ship I didn't notice it at all.

Edited by shadowmeboy

Enjoying your review and great photos! Was on the Sun this Spring for 34 days from Buenos Aires to San Francisco...miss the wonderful crew. Have a great vacation!

Thank you!

Enjoying your review.

Thank you!

I will continue my review once I get home from work tonight.

IMG_1348.jpg

Shilshole and Puget Sound

IMG_1349.jpg

Interbay, Ballard, Magnolia, and Queen Anne hill

IMG_1350.jpg

Ballard Locks

IMG_1354.jpg

Flying over Washington's Olympic Peninsula

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

Lunch on board. Butternut Squash Ravioli. I don't normally like Butternut Squash, but it was excellent.

Note: Keep in mind, our cruise left Seward on 6/20/2016. 6/20/2016 was the longest day of the year in the Northern hemisphere. In Anchorage, it never got completely dark, it would get dusky from 1130pm till about 4am. having never experienced this before, our body clocks were totally messed up.

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_20160617_1827079_rewind.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

My sister lives in Anchorage, and let us crash at her place for a few days. She also played tour guide! Thanks Nicole!

We took her and her boyfriend out to a local pizza joint for Dinner.

IMG_20160617_2008332_rewind.jpg

Moose's Tooth - really popular even at 8:30pm!

IMG_0453.jpg

packed to the gills, a sign of a good restaurant!

IMG_1395.jpg

A better look at the logo!

IMG_1397.jpg

Loved the plates!

IMG_1396.jpg

We shared some Nashville Nacho's - BBQ pulled pork nachos.

IMG_1398.jpg

My Sister Nicole and her boyfriend Eric!

IMG_1399.jpg

Susan trying her first beer ever. She had an apple ale that Moose's Tooth brews themselves. She really enjoyed it.

IMG_1402.jpg

Dinner finally arrived - a Macaroni and Cheese Pizza with Reindeer Sausage. Yum!

Susan and Nicole decided to go for a walk around Lake Hood.

IMG_20160617_2306223_rewind.jpg

IMG_20160617_2317268_rewind.jpg

IMG_20160617_2318123_rewind.jpg

Mind you, it is 10:30pm out when this picture was taken.

IMG_20160617_2320439_rewind.jpg

They headed back, so we could get some sleep before starting to explore the greater Anchorage area.

I woke up much earlier than I wanted to, and jumped on Cruise Critic only to find out our itinerary had changed again. I am so glad people had independent shore excursions which emailed them and told them about the changes. NCL never did send out an email or any communication about the changes.

As I mentioned before, the original itinerary was Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Icy Strait Point - Juneau/Sawyer Glacier - Skagway - Ketchikan - Sea Day - Vancouver.

So our revised trip was suppossed to be Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Juneau/Sawyer Glacier - Icy Strait Point - Skagway - Ketchikan - Sea Day - Vancouver

Now, we found out it had been changed to Seward - Hubbard Glacier - Icy Strait Point - Sitka - Juneau/Sawyer Glacier - Ketchikan - Sea Day - Vancouver, 2 days before sailing.

So, I got to start my morning off by calling NCL Shore excursions. Cancelling Skagway's excursion which was going to be a Sleg Dog Experience. Cancelling Juneau's Shore Excursion which was going to be Mendenhall Glacier and a Salmon Bake. We booked the Musher's Camp and Sled Dog Discovery for Juneau since it was offered there as well as Skagway. We left Sitka open until we got to the boat. We booked NCL shore excursions becuase we had the $50 per port Shore excursion credit and the 4 nights of Specialty Dining.

Luckily, my amazing Sister made Sourdough pancakes with frech Cherry syrup! We had flown up with two huge gallon sized ziplocks full of fresh Washington Cherries, so she utilized them! BTW: The cherries got secondary screening at the TSA checkpoint in Seattle.

IMG_0456.jpg

These will brighten anyone's mood!

Edited by shadowmeboy

IMG_20160618_1053503_rewind.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

The views were just amazing!

IMG_1417.jpg

The Alaska Railroad parallels the highway for the majority of the drive.

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_20160618_1114055_rewind.jpg

As we travelled toward Whittier, where we were going first, we spotted the Alaska Railraod's Glacier Discovery train.

IMG_1425.jpg

I am a huge train fan, so pictures of trains will dot the whole review!

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

An Alaska State Wildlife trooper

IMG_1433.jpg

To get to Whittier, you must go through a tunnel. traffic alternates every hour. The tunnel is also how the Alaska Railroad gets to Whittier. In the old days, you would load you car onto a train car and you would ride the train to Whittier.

IMG_20160618_1135311_rewind.jpg

Driving through the tunnel.

IMG_20160618_1140590_rewind.jpg

exiting the tunnel on the Whittier side.

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_20160618_1151518_rewind.jpg

Susan and I by the Whittier sign.

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

Boy that glacier is heavy to hold up!

IMG_1449.jpg

Remember that train we saw, it came through the tunnel after us.

IMG_1455.jpg

You can see all the cars waiting to head back towards Portage and Girdwood.

IMG_1458.jpg