I don't get it

rvmike

Because it appears that some people try to think up a really quirky question just so they can post.

Just because I had a great time or a poor time on a cruise doesn't mean you will.

I thought it was great going on my first cruise knowing nothing except what I read in the brochure, an adventure for sure.

Why does someone need to know who the Matre'D will be.

Same as the question as what time is dinner? What floor is the dining room?:D

Sounds reasonable, until you discover that you may very well get three different answers from Princess if you call them three different times. Many here in CC have cruised more on Princess than their own phone reps have, so they are often giving better informed answers.

So true! Some of the reps have never cruised.

Also, they wouldn't have answers to a lot of the questions that are answered here such as opinions of staff members, critiques of ships, sizes and layouts of different areas. CC offers a wealth of information, and varying opinions help, too.

And, yes, that OCD thing another poster mentioned!!

Seriously read this as what flooring is in the dining room. And I thought, well, someone will be along with a picture of the carpeting in a minute. Cause this site is that thorough.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't know how some people got by years ago before the internet. :p

I know I especially think of this when I need to book a hotel, back then... no reviews , nothing, you just picked a 'brand name', called 1800# and hoped for the best. I remember when some chains came out with books and was thrilled that I got to see a picture of the motel before booking LOL I can't image life with the internet :)

90% of questions asked on these boards are available from the cruise line yet people seem to have no clue. If you booked why not ask the line and not here where you will get 3 diff. answers to the same question or many opinions that don't answer the question. I understand if you are a first timer but some are just ??? (dress code). Flame on

Totally agree. Add to that the 99% of all the questions could be answered by picking up the telephone and making a phone call or doing a 2 minute Google search. Don't get me started on the "what is the best" posts. We do not know you so how can we tell you what is the best for you.

I guess that Darwin was wrong - the monkeys are smarter.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

90% of questions asked on these boards are available from the cruise line yet people seem to have no clue. If you booked why not ask the line and not here where you will get 3 diff. answers to the same question or many opinions that don't answer the question. I understand if you are a first timer but some are just ??? (dress code). Flame on

I can beat that. Someone, while on the ship, heard some sort of announcement and posted a question about about here. I suggested that the poster ask the people on the ship. The poster didn't want to bother them.

People will ask questions on here that they should be asking their doctor.

It is a place to ask questions. Some people just cannot get past the fact that just because you can does not mean you should. In many cases there are better places to get answers.

That said, many times the people answering the questions at the call center are more clueless than the person asking the question. Call the cruise line and you can get three different answers, and all of them will be wrong. At least here, one of the three answers will probably be right.

I think you have that backwards. Why ask the reps who know nothing when you can get the answer here.

What I was thinking, too!!!

I find out so much more from these boards than I do from the cruiseline representatives.

Thanks, now I can get this off my chest:

I'd urge all of you who are offended by mere *questions* to find something weightier to be outraged about. Look around you--there are plenty of options. And if this is really the worst thing happening to you, I envy you..

+1

Srpilo

Seriously read this as what flooring is in the dining room. And I thought, well, someone will be along with a picture of the carpeting in a minute. Cause this site is that thorough.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They might as well include "what floor is the kitchen on"? :rolleyes:

Maybe they are cold and want to get flamed. :cool:

I'm in the process of planning my first cruise, and have spent a lot of time on both the Princess website and this forum. While it is true that certain questions can easily be looked up on the website, I've also found that an astonishing amount of information on the Princess website is missing, incomplete, outdated, misleading, self-contradicting, and/or just plain wrong.

The Princess@sea app is a good example. Is it available on some ships, as suggested here? Or on all ships, as suggested at the bottom of this page? In addition, until quite recently, the latter page was instructing passengers to download the Princess@Sea app from iTunes or GooglePlay, long after Princess had stopped making the app available in that fashion in favor of a new system. Many confused passengers getting ready for their cruise who could not download the app posted here, and learned from other passengers -- not Princess -- about the change.

Oh and apart from problems with the Princess website, we are indeed all OCD to a certain degree. :D

p.s. Related editorial comment: I don't know how Princess compares to other cruise lines in this regard, but I find the lack of consistent and accurate information on their website to be pretty bad in comparison to the airline and hotel websites I'm used to dealing with these days. Regular posters on this forum should be earning a commission from Princess for the amount of customer care they provide to fellow passengers!

p.s. Related editorial comment: I don't know how Princess compares to other cruise lines in this regard, but I find the lack of consistent and accurate information on their website to be pretty bad

The IT staff from Royal Caribbean likely trained the Princess IT staff.

Why does someone need to know who the Matre'D will be.

Ok -- I can answer that. My cousins used to work on Princess cruises and have a friend that is a Maitre'D. They were going to send a little something along with me if he was working on the cruise we were going to sail on.

Just because it isn't obvious to some doesn't mean there isn't a reason for certain questions.

Just an aside, once when talking to a Princess rep, she told me they no longer added the meta upgrade requests to reservations. I had to explain to her what it was -- people on this site knew about it and it is not listed anywhere on the Princess website. She even explained she was one of the 'Princess Ambassadors' and knew everything there was to know about Princess cruises. Wow!! Evidently not! I find out the MOST valuable information from this site and not from the cruise line's website or their reps. I am not trying to just keep repeating myself but sounds like people asking questions on this site just annoys some so much. There are so many pearls of wisdom on this site. I don't know what I used to do without it.

Thanks, now I can get this off my chest:

This is the only forum I'm on--and I'm on a lot--where many questions are answered with a snotty "why are you bothering to post this question"?

I'll give you a brief overview of how the Internet works:

People are interested in other people's real-world experiences.

See? Simple.

(Additionally, sometimes people can't make the call (non business hours, or they can't manage the hold time (calling from work, etc), or they know dang well that call center reps rarely have up to date info.)

I'd urge all of you who are offended by mere *questions* to find something weightier to be outraged about. Look around you--there are plenty of options. And if this is really the worst thing happening to you, I envy you.

And if you get some sort of weird endorphin rush from jumping on people for asking questions--I don't envy you at all, because there are much cooler ways to obtain enjoyment from life.

In my opinion, already too much time spent on this thread when AdoraBelle already said everything that needed to be said. Thanks, AdoraBelle.

Plus, do what we all do, skip the posts and posters that you don't want to read. And, if you cant help with someone's inquiry, then move on (like I'm going to do now).

Paul

Edited by pjrockman

Hahaha! So true! :D On the serious side, though, I can imagine someone with mobility issues being interested in what's on the floor, carpet or slick marble tile or whatnot. That isn't the kind of information you will find on the web site as a rule.

That first question has been asked because the time for td that is on your itinerary and even your cruise card varies from ship to ship. Once you get onboard you'll find that first seating is rarely the 6pm that was confirmed on your booking.

Actually, the cruise line reps do not know the answers to most of the questions here. Almost all of them have never even been on a cruise ship and if they have, it probably was only one time.

Among questions they cannot answer:

o Sizes of rooms and balconies

o Which balcony cabins are fully exposed to the sun

o Where are the smoking areas

o What are the actual times of traditional dining on a ship

o How good is a particular shore excursion

o How many men are in a tux on formal evenings

o How much noise is there from below or above for a specific cabin

o Do the berths for a third and fourth passenger come from the ceiling or are they mounted on a wall

o What refreshments are available at the elite/platinum/suite lounge

o What are the hours of the elite/platinum/suite lounge

o Where on a particular ship is the elite/platinum/suite lounge normally held

o Who is the current Captain/Maitre d'/Cruise Director/Captain's Circle rep on a ship

o What movies are currently being shown on MUTS

o How many electrical outlets are in a mini-suite

o Which nights are likely to be the formal nights on a cruise

o What choices are there on the canape list for elites on formal evenings

o What is the best place to see Venice (or glaciers in Alaska or Panama Canal locks or ...) as you sail by

o Where on a ship can I get fresh-squeezed orange juice

o Is chocolate milk available for children

..... and many more topics

Perfect. I'm pretty sure you've covered 99% of the queries posted here. Thanks Caribill :)

I don't get it. Why would you ask when you already know the answer. I mean surely, this question has been asked and answered on these boards many times before.:rolleyes:

Harry

I don't get it. Why would you ask when you already know the answer. I mean surely, this question has been asked and answered on these boards many times before.:rolleyes:

Harry

Which begs the question: Why don't people use the search feature?

Are you asking about the Princess dress code for formal nights....in case you have not heard it is an Aloha shirts with a Scottish Kilt and Van Sneakers for men.....you are welcome....:)

Are you asking about the Princess dress code for formal nights....in case you have not heard it is an Aloha shirts with a Scottish Kilt and Van Sneakers for men.....you are welcome....:)

And you can only smoke on your balcony if you're higher than Fiesta deck..

Edited by Kenswing

Good question. Why don't you call Princess and ask?