Room service charge? Formal night attire? Can order water package on board?

We are going on POA for the first time this month...first time with NCL.

I have read there is a charge for room service so I called NCL to confirm this

info. The reservation person said there is a $7.95 charge after 10am. So,

does that mean every day breakfast room service is free of charge? Also,

if we come back from a day out and want a snack, it looks like room service charges for everything outside of breakfast. Please clarify my thinking...thank you.

Also, I asked if there is a wait for a table in the main dining room at any time.

I was informed 5 to 10 minutes at most. Is this accurate? That's fine with me, but if it is longer, what times are good times to arrive? She also informed me that there is a formal night on the second night and you can dress up, but it is not necessary. Do most people wear formal attire on formal night? I am wondering what to pack.

I also wanted to clarify if you can order the water package once you board. The NCL rep said you could order it once onboard. The prices are prohibitive! If any one has experience with this, please confirm as I have read otherwise

recently on CC.

Thanks for any future posts to these questions.:)

The free items before 10 am are continental breakfast type things and yes, if you order anything from room service at any other time it's $7.95. (They do have upcharge items that have their own fee and if you order them it's my understanding the $7.95 would not apply although you might be hit with a 18% gratuity, maybe.)

There are no real formal nights on NCL, they've changed the names a few times so I'm not sure what they call it now but it's a chance to dress up if you want to get your picture taken by the photogs (which you actually can do every single night of the cruise if you'd like).

You can pre-order water from your MyNCL page and save 30% or more, so if you have to have the water this would probably be the way to do it.

With Freestyle dining it's like a land based restaurant, if you show up when everyone else does you'll have to wait. We eat early and always went to the MDR to eat right when it opened and had little wait, but showing up at prime dining time could result in a wait.

1- have read there is a charge for room service so I called NCL to confirm this

if we come back from a day out and want a snack, it looks like room service charges for everything outside of breakfast. Please clarify my thinking...thank you.

From NCL WEBSITE:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges:

• $13.50 USD per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 USD per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

• Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

(This will be automatically added to your onboard account)

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

2- Also, I asked if there is a wait for a table in the main dining room at any time.

I was informed 5 to 10 minutes at most. Is this accurate? That's fine with me, but if it is longer, what times are good times to arrive? She also informed me that there is a formal night on the second night and you can dress up, but it is not necessary. Do most people wear formal attire on formal night? I am wondering what to pack.

Waiting time varies on each ship ( the larger the ship longer wait ) 5 to 10 minutes is pretty accurate Best time to go is around 5.00pm to 6.00 pm

Dress up night is totally up to you some pax do some don't it's not compulsary

3- I also wanted to clarify if you can order the water package once you board. The NCL rep said you could order it once onboard. The prices are prohibitive! If any one has experience with this, please confirm as I have read otherwise recently on CC

Please refer to https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/bottled-water-packages

In my opinion the water on the ship is fine to drink , I always bring some empty water bottle and go to the buffet an fill up and bring to the room , on our last cruise we ask the steward to empty the mini bar and he always put a pitcher of water in the fridge for us ( PS: don't forget to tip him extra at the end of the cruise)

1- have read there is a charge for room service so I called NCL to confirm this

From NCL WEBSITE:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges:

• $13.50 USD per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 USD per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

• Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

(This will be automatically added to your onboard account)

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

The OP asked about room service charges, not the daily service charge. The quote you provided above has nothing to do with the question that was asked.

In fact there is a $7.95 room service charge, except for continental breakfast served prior to 10 am. Here's the information that answers the OP's room service question:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

Edited by njhorseman

The OP asked about room service charges, not the daily service charge. The quote you provided above has nothing to do with the question that was asked.

In fact there is a $7.95 room service charge, except for continental breakfast served prior to 10 am. Here's the information that answers the OP's room service question:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#norwegian-cruise-line-now-charging-room-service

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

Sorry I put the wrong quote, you have the propper quote

Edited by Orleanscruiser