Folding, portable, lightweight travel SCOOTERS

blue whale

We are thinking of buying a folding, portable, lightweight scooter to use on HAL cruises and also on airlines getting to the ship.

We are looking at models such as the Luggie Elite and the Transformer by Solax and the EV Rider, all of which can collapse rather simply and weigh under 65 pounds. The first two weigh in the upper fifty pound range.

Has anyone had experiences with this kind of scooter that can close up so that it fits in the trunk of a car or taxi? We are concerned about stability of the vehicle and the ease of use. We are wondering if HAL tours can accommodating the vehicle.

Appreciate any info folks might have, as well as other options.

Dorothy

Edited by blue whale

No experience with this type of scooter. My husbands had tremor's and a general lack of balance. He asked his doctor about getting this type of scooter and his doctor told him no, it would not be stable enough for him.

Please discuss this with the doctor before deciding whether or not to purchase.

We are thinking of buying a folding, portable, lightweight scooter to use on HAL cruises and also on airlines getting to the ship.

We are looking at models such as the Luggie Elite and the Transformer by Solax and the EV Rider, all of which can collapse rather simply and weigh under 65 pounds. The first two weigh in the upper fifty pound range.

Has anyone had experiences with this kind of scooter that can close up so that it fits in the trunk of a car or taxi? We are concerned about stability of the vehicle and the ease of use. We are wondering if HAL tours can accommodating the vehicle.

Dorothy

As long as the scooter user can enter a bus, I don't see any problem with using this type of scooter on HAL excursions. Walkers and other equipment is often stored in the large storage spaces beneath most busses.

Scott & Karen

We own a Solax. We've not had any problems with private tour operators or taxis putting it in their trunk. HAL Shore Ex - that's a different experience. :mad: We also thought it shouldn't be a problem as large buses have plenty of storage space below. The Shore Ex staff on the Volendam thought otherwise.

I'd be happy to share our experiences with buying, owning, and using a folding travel scooter, but not here. I've temporarily added an email to my signature if you'd like to contact me privately.

I own a scooter from Travelscoot.com. I've used it a few times on Hal. It folds up and weighs less than the two you are looking at. I drive it right up to the gate at the airport. They take it and return it to me when the plane lands. It fits easily into a standard cabin on HAL. Usually, a crew member helps me down the gangplank. They love riding it .Check out the website.

I've been reading Mike and Carol Preisman's blog for years and our paths sort of crossed on another cruise line.

Their trip reports are terrific and most make mention of Carol's Travelscoot.

I quickly found two references to her scooter. The 2014 Oceania Riviera report describes the ease of driving to the port with the folded scooter. The Oceania Nautica review of 2015 describes the ease of flying to Asia with the scooter.

Thepreismans.com.

I, too, have a Travelscoot that I bought prior to our 2010 cruise...prior to my hip replacement surgery. It's been a godsend. I don't use it much at home but it's been invaluable on shore excursions...esp. in the Mediterranean. The HAL Shore people can sometimes be a bit testy about the ease of storing it on a bus...but usually the bus operators are fine with it.

Dorothy

Most of those you quoted would be fine as I was in the DME business for several years:D however I would suggest that you purchase a small threshold ramp that your companion can place in front of the scooter going from and to different events on board ship as there are ridges or small intrusions on most ships and this just makes it easy to navigate thru the ship:)

I have a Lexus Lite - it separates into 2 pieces, each of which weighs around 27 pounds. Having a scooter like this enables me to go many places I would otherwise have to skip. I can take it out of the trunk & assemble it myself but most times my DS is with me and does this.

The battery detaches from the front piece. Mine came with 2 standard batteries that are "airline friendly", i.e., can be taken on planes - kind of heavy, maybe 15-20 pounds each, and they take several hours to charge (regular household current). I want to switch to a lithium battery - 7 pounds, charges in a half hour, lasts longer per charge - although I can go all day on one standard battery. I haven't read about whether the lithium battery is also airline friendly.

These scooters can tip over if you try to turn fast - the center of gravity is fairly high. And mine does move along at a good clip when the speed is set high - DS has to walk quite fast to keep up (I dial it down for him, of course, and always when there are other people around).

I was able to use it to get around the ship just fine. We had a VC cabin, which was small and we had to be creative about where to put it - couldn't have got it in there or stored it in there assembled, had to take it apart. Sometimes we left it out by the elevators if we were going to be using it again on the same day (took the key and battery to the cabin - although I don't think I would leave it out if there were many kids on board).

As for Shorex, there are some places where such a scooter will have problems - cobblestone streets, for example. And I'm sure there are some sites that won't allow them (potential damage to floors, etc.). On the Eurodam last November, the Shorex Manager, Juan Carlos I think was his name, went above and beyond in helping with the selection/booking of tours and knew which ones would allow me to take the scooter with me. If I couldn't, he made sure there was a secure place to leave it near the bus boarding area so I could ride it out to there. Unfortunately, I think many/most times Shorex people just want to sell tours and will tell you whatever they need to in order to make the sale. The Traveling With Disabilities Forum here on CC may have more info.

Thank you all!

We are sailing at the beginning of sept out of and back to NYC, up to canada. We hope to purchase a mobility device to take with us.

I have talked to our insurance company and we would be covered for loss and liability under home owners.

Dorothy

Please be aware that for Safety reasons, many Airlines will NOT take any scooter Lithium batteries onboard.

Even your small lithium battery in your mobile phone can ignite without warning, and has caused fires onboard. (and the one thing you do not want when flying over the Pacific, is an onboard fire. Trust me)

Check your local airline for details 🙂

HAL Shore Ex - that's a different experience. :mad: We also thought it shouldn't be a problem as large buses have plenty of storage space below. The Shore Ex staff on the Volendam thought otherwise.

I wanted to add that on the Juneau - Gold Creek Salmon Bake, we actually missed the bus and had to wait for the next. We were actually on the bus, and thought there were enough seats, but we had to leave the bus when we learned the back two seats were occupied by wheelchairs. No storage space under the bus.

Maybe that's why HAL Shore Ex wasn't too happy w/ the idea.

YES! Our friend on the Atlantic Adventure had one. She used it on most excursions and on the ship. For HAL excursions, she was able to get a list from HAL of excursions they would take her scooter.

We took several small excursions in cars and vans. Of the 6 or so trips, I think there was only one, where the guide took it apart. But then he realized he could fit it in the trunk after all.

This was so clever, I wanted to order one for myself. She let me try it out on our Azore excursion. I have a photo or me on it which I will try to find. Unfortunately, I don't recall the manufacturer.

Please be aware that for Safety reasons, many Airlines will NOT take any scooter Lithium batteries onboard.

Even your small lithium battery in your mobile phone can ignite without warning, and has caused fires onboard. (and the one thing you do not want when flying over the Pacific, is an onboard fire. Trust me)

Check your local airline for details 🙂

Thank you for this information. So far, I have driven to the Florida ports and not flown to ports, so had not inquired about lithium batteries on planes. (And, actually, I would not want an onboard fire flying over anything, land, sea, or??? ! :D )