Google Chrome

Woobstr112G

Since we recommended Opera (about the only major browser that has a built-in effective ad blocker) lets talk about browsers. On PCs (running Windows) there is generally no problem installing additional browsers (we have 3 on all of our PCs) unless you have a very old PC. Bottom line is that anyone running Win10 (or even Win,7 or 8) can install extra browsers without impacting your performance. If you later decide you do not like the browser it is simply to uninstall.

Chrome has been very popular with many of us for a few years, but times have changed and Chrome is slow to catch-up. Opera actually uses most of the same working engine as Chrome, but has the benefit of the ad blocker (and a few other nice options). Whenever we deal with web sites that tend to slow down because of various ads (i.e. CC, Luciane, Drudge, etc) we use Opera (with the ad blocker turned on) and those sites work very fast. We have had absolutely no problem with CC...when using Opera...whereas every other browser (including MS Edge and Chrome) sometimes have problems with the CC ads. As to third party ad blockers such as ad-blocker....we have not used it in a few years since we prefer to avoid many add on programs. But ad-blocker is certainly an option...although not sure it is as fast as using Opera (with its own ad blocker activated).

As to why Chrome does not yet have its own ad blocker option (we suspect this might happen by the end of the year) one needs to understand that Google (owner of Chrome) profits from many of the ads...that a blocker would block. In a sense, if Google were to put on an ad blocker they would be cutting their own profits. It is fun using Opera with some web sites that will pop up a message suggesting that "using an ad blocker will prevent some content." Of course that content are the annoying ads :)

Hank

Appreciate the info.:)

I too was having the problem with Chrome .... I was routinely locking up the machine while hearing 'disk thrashing' and seeing 'shockwave crashed'

I forced my machine to install the latest version of Chrome after doing a lil research and have seen significantly improved performance and no crash in several days.

IE prompts you to install new versions but not so with Chrome IME . . .

Thanks for the Google Chrome posts.

When on CC using Chrome, it's so slow and sort of "bounces around".

Noticed I use IE on my laptop and have no problems so am now going to IE on my PC. Problem solved!

Wonder why CC has a problem with Chrome? :confused: