Google Chrome

Woobstr112G

Question for everyone. Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that Cruise Critic, especially the boards, has began to act real funky (real slow) when I use Chrome. I tried it on Safari, and do not notice the snail pace of the boards that I see on Chrome......:confused:

Bob

Question for everyone. Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that Cruise Critic, especially the boards, has began to act real funky (real slow) when I use Chrome. I tried it on Safari, and do not notice the snail pace of the boards that I see on Chrome......:confused:

Bob

I've been having the same problem too and shockwave crash. In response to my post about this problem with CC some one responded and suggested to google AD Block Plus....I'm still a bit hesitant and always concerned about more trouble downloading something new...Many discussed this same problem with CC lately but those posts didn't give any suggestions and quickly faded away....What to do :confused::confused::confused:...

I've been having the same problem too and shockwave crash. In response to my post about this problem with CC some one responded and suggested to google AD Block Plus....I'm still a bit hesitant and always concerned about more trouble downloading something new...Many discussed this same problem with CC lately but those posts didn't give any suggestions and quickly faded away....What to do :confused::confused::confused:...

Exactly what I've been experiencing. Have you tried Safari or any other browsers?

Bob

Rather suddenly, I keep getting

"Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Size of a request header field exceeds server limit."

when trying to post/reply, and sometimes also just go back to main menu.

VERY sudden.

Exactly what I've been experiencing. Have you tried Safari or any other browsers?

Bob

No....I prefer to stick with what I know and that's Google Chrome...I did just venture beyond my comfort zone :eek: and installed Ad Block Plus...so hopeful this will work....

The poster that recommended it is an IT guy (according to him) and said it has been working great with GC that he had been having the same problem too with CC...So here's hoping it will work for me too.

On the original conversation about the shockwave crash and slowness on CC recently ....some one I believe a CC administrator (?) responded and said they were glad to be made aware of this problem many of us were having and would check on it.... then no response or followup as far as I have been able to see....Someone posted that it may be the additional ad's CC is now posting...not sure...but definitely something happened a few weeks ago that has only caused this problem for me on CC...no other site I visit.

There have been sporadic problems for weeks now. I started a thread about it about a month ago that got quite a few responses:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369408

For me, using Microsoft Edge, sometimes it's very fast, sometimes slower than dial-up. It's definitely related to the ads - I watch the screen doing nothing until I see whatever ad is going on to the right side of the page load - then my screen responds. Someone recommended using ad blocker software, but I hesitate to load another unknown program onto my computer.

Edited by Kartgv

I was having trouble with the boards. It seemed to be tied to the new video ads that Cruise Critic was running.

My son installed Adblock Plus (free), and no issues since. In fact it seems to have helped speed up most sites I visit now.

There have been sporadic problems for weeks now. I started a thread about it about a month ago that got quite a few responses:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369408

For me, using Microsoft Edge, sometimes it's very fast, sometimes slower than dial-up. It's definitely related to the ads - I watch the screen doing nothing until I see whatever ad is going on to the right side of the page load - then my screen responds. Someone recommended using ad blocker software, but I hesitate to load another unknown program onto my computer.

Thanks for adding the link...this is exactly what I was referring to. I tend to not load programs onto my computer but made an exception for Ad Blocker Plus...and am hopeful ;)

I was having trouble with the boards. It seemed to be tied to the new video ads that Cruise Critic was running.

My son installed Adblock Plus (free), and no issues since. In fact it seems to have helped speed up most sites I visit now.

Glad to hear this...thanks for the response.

My simple solution is to download a very good free browser called Opera. It will run on the same PC as Chrome or Edge with no problems. Once you open Opera, click on the "Menu" at the upper left....then "Settings" and then click "block ads." This should solve your issue with ads on most sites. Many find Opera runs about 3 times faster then Chrome. Opera is open source software which means you can later install all kinds of add-ons if you choose (such as Flash). We started using Opera about 2 months ago and found that it solved most (not all) slow down or freeze issues due to annoying ads.

Hank

I have had a terrible time with the shockwave thing, and the Bad Request too. I did install the Chrome extension Adblock, and it works great. But with the Bad Request... it comes and goes. Sometimes I have to throw in the towel and go over to IE, but things go so slowly there, as it waits until all the ads load... I haven't tried Edge yet. EM

No....I prefer to stick with what I know and that's Google Chrome...I did just venture beyond my comfort zone :eek: and installed Ad Block Plus...so hopeful this will work....

The poster that recommended it is an IT guy (according to him) and said it has been working great with GC that he had been having the same problem too with CC...So here's hoping it will work for me too.

Good luck.....:):):)

Bob

I've been using Adblock, and now Adblock Plus, for years.

Ads on websites have become so annoying, and slow the pages down so much, that it just isn't acceptable in my opinion. Plus there have been reports of malware hidden in ads, and it's so easy to click on one by mistake.

I may be getting a little off-topic here, but people keep talking about downloading and using another browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc.). Can someone explain how adding another program that has to be huge, without 'uninstallling' the browser that came with your device, would not slow down your computer even more? It just seems contrary to common sense. Has no one had any issues doing this? I looked at Adblock plus, but it's only available in Beta for Edge, which also worries me.

I may be getting a little off-topic here, but people keep talking about downloading and using another browser (Chrome, Firefox, etc.). Can someone explain how adding another program that has to be huge, without 'uninstallling' the browser that came with your device, would not slow down your computer even more? It just seems contrary to common sense. Has no one had any issues doing this? I looked at Adblock plus, but it's only available in Beta for Edge, which also worries me.

Loading an additional browser on your PC does not slow it down unless you always have it running. Just being on the hard drive causes no performance degredation, unless the act of loading the program consumes all your hard drive space.

Loading an additional browser on your PC does not slow it down unless you always have it running. Just being on the hard drive causes no performance degredation, unless the act of loading the program consumes all your hard drive space.

Thanks for that info, may break down and try it. By the way, I also spend a lot of time on the TripAdvisor travel forums and have NO problems there. Since they are affiliated with Cruise Critic, maybe the CC technical staff should check with them to find out why there's such a difference in response times.

Since we recommended Opera (about the only major browser that has a built-in effective ad blocker) lets talk about browsers. On PCs (running Windows) there is generally no problem installing additional browsers (we have 3 on all of our PCs) unless you have a very old PC. Bottom line is that anyone running Win10 (or even Win,7 or 8) can install extra browsers without impacting your performance. If you later decide you do not like the browser it is simply to uninstall.

Chrome has been very popular with many of us for a few years, but times have changed and Chrome is slow to catch-up. Opera actually uses most of the same working engine as Chrome, but has the benefit of the ad blocker (and a few other nice options). Whenever we deal with web sites that tend to slow down because of various ads (i.e. CC, Luciane, Drudge, etc) we use Opera (with the ad blocker turned on) and those sites work very fast. We have had absolutely no problem with CC...when using Opera...whereas every other browser (including MS Edge and Chrome) sometimes have problems with the CC ads. As to third party ad blockers such as ad-blocker....we have not used it in a few years since we prefer to avoid many add on programs. But ad-blocker is certainly an option...although not sure it is as fast as using Opera (with its own ad blocker activated).

As to why Chrome does not yet have its own ad blocker option (we suspect this might happen by the end of the year) one needs to understand that Google (owner of Chrome) profits from many of the ads...that a blocker would block. In a sense, if Google were to put on an ad blocker they would be cutting their own profits. It is fun using Opera with some web sites that will pop up a message suggesting that "using an ad blocker will prevent some content." Of course that content are the annoying ads :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I just googled the problem and found this possibility, which, so far, seems to have improved the problem....go to

SETTINGS>SHOW ADVANCED SETTINGS> Uncheck "use hardware acceleration when available"

Pretty simple and no add-ons or extra software to install.