Vegetarian Options on the Empress?

My daughter and her friend are both vegetarians. We're on the August 15th sailing of the Empress and I've seen two menus from two different days and there was only have one vegetarian option: the vegetable pot pie. I'm sure that will get old pretty quick. Will the chef in the MDR offer to cook them something else? What are the options at the buffet? Do they offer veggie burgers? I'm starting to get a bit worried.

Contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] and notify them of your dietary restrictions. I do know they have Indian entrees upon request every night one of which is vegetarian.

There is plenty for vegetarians to choose from. It's only vegans that get short shrift
That stinks. We're used to Disney vacations where we don't have to worry what my DD eats as there is always a selection. They really bend over backward to help people eat healthy meals.

My DD and her friend not a vegan, but it seems that the same vegetarian option is repeated for at least 2 nights on the Empress. Having one option per night is not a big deal, but I don't think that people should be forced to eat the same thing every night.

I guess I'll cover my bases with "Special Needs" but it seems odd to be "special" since in our neck of the woods being a vegetarian is on par with carnivores (like me).

I have to disagree that vegetarians need to contact special needs.

In my experience if there is nothing to your taste on the menu then ask for something else. If you have problems, ask to see the Head Waiter who, in my experience, will sort it out then and there with a minimum of fuss and will even go through the following days menu and offer alternatives if there is nothing to your taste.

From then on after dinner your waiter will automatically offer you the following days menu to check everything's ok.

This has been my experience on Carnival, Celebrity and Princess, I don't see why it would be any different on RCI.

I'm just talking about vegetarians.

That stinks. We're used to Disney vacations where we don't have to worry what my DD eats as there is always a selection. They really bend over backward to help people eat healthy meals.

My DD and her friend not a vegan, but it seems that the same vegetarian option is repeated for at least 2 nights on the Empress. Having one option per night is not a big deal, but I don't think that people should be forced to eat the same thing every night.

I guess I'll cover my bases with "Special Needs" but it seems odd to be "special" since in our neck of the woods being a vegetarian is on par with carnivores (like me).

there will always be at least TWO options ( a pasta and a veggie entree) every night and as already been stated, with advance request, the chef can whip something up, usually an Indian Curry. ships only have so much room on board in their kitchens to cater to dietary prejudices. fresh produce goes bad very fast, so they never bring overly large amounts on board to just have on hand 'in case' someone wants to eat vegetarian.

I have to disagree that vegetarians need to contact special needs.

In my experience if there is nothing to your taste on the menu then ask for something else. If you have problems, ask to see the Head Waiter who, in my experience, will sort it out then and there with a minimum of fuss and will even go through the following days menu and offer alternatives if there is nothing to your taste.

From then on after dinner your waiter will automatically offer you the following days menu to check everything's ok.

This has been my experience on Carnival, Celebrity and Princess, I don't see why it would be any different on RCI.

I'm just talking about vegetarians.

it is exactly that way. SN is for allergies and medical restrictions, not dietary choices. as a die hard lover of dead cow flesh, I actually find at least twice on a cruise the vegetarian offering is what I end up with. and I loathe pasta. furthermore some entrees CAN be made meatless with advance notice.

it is exactly that way. SN is for allergies and medical restrictions, not dietary choices. as a die hard lover of dead cow flesh, I actually find at least twice on a cruise the vegetarian offering is what I end up with. and I loathe pasta. furthermore some entrees CAN be made meatless with advance notice.

The Special Needs department covers all needs, regardless of whether it is an allergic issue or medical restriction, when it comes to food. They are as helpful as they can be to have the cruiser have a good culinary experience.....that even takes into affect kosher diners. The kitchen will not be made fully kosher in this instance, but if the cruiser is not looking for 'kosher food' but what dishes can be made without meat, they are very accommodating.

Having a conversation on embarkation day with the Maitre D' also can help facilitate a great culinary experience.

there will always be at least TWO options ( a pasta and a veggie entree) every night and as already been stated, with advance request, the chef can whip something up, usually an Indian Curry. ships only have so much room on board in their kitchens to cater to dietary prejudices. fresh produce goes bad very fast, so they never bring overly large amounts on board to just have on hand 'in case' someone wants to eat vegetarian.

There are not two options on the menu I saw here on WinksCruises' review:

04-03-MDR%20Menu.jpg

The pasta has lobster. I saw another review with two MDR menus and the "Vegetable Pot Pie" was offered twice which is my main concern.

I don't think I want to bother Special Needs, I'll talk to the Maitre D' on our first night to let him know we have two vegetarians at our table. The girls will be perfectly happy with pasta and marinara or butter sauce :).

We are on board now and the vegetarian option pot pie was pretty good. But it would get old. Still, I would contact special needs so they can alert the staff in the MDR and the chefs. I did see a few vegetarian options in WJ as well, and things like stuffed potatoes. I have been disappointed with the lack of pasta!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's unusual. On all the RCI cruises I have been on, they have always offered two vegetarian entrees - one being always available (pasta pomodoro) and the other changes nightly. That being said Empress might have a different menu than the Voyager/Freedom class ships I have been on. I would definitely speak to the Maitre D on embarkation day. The pot pie does look nice but I agree you wouldn't want to be eating the same thing night after night. If you ask the night before, I'm sure they'll be able to alter the lobster mac and cheese to regular mac and cheese minus the lobster. Last year on Explorer, I asked if they could alter one of the pastas on the menu (to add broccoli instead of shrimp) and it was no problem at all for them. Also I'm sure if you ask a day in advance they could whip up pasta with a marinara sauce for the girls.

Thank you! How far in advance do you recommend I contact them?

On certain islands Vegetarians are on the menu. They are very tender. ;) In addition to what others have said, ask your waiter, they aim to please and will frequently bring Veggie versions of main dishes. (I saw that when we have one of those at our table a few years ago) They will also make larger versions of some of the salads. (Not to say salads are all that Vegetarians eat.)

04-03-MDR%20Menu.jpg

The pasta has lobster. I saw another review with two MDR menus and the "Vegetable Pot Pie" was offered twice which is my main concern.

I don't think I want to bother Special Needs, I'll talk to the Maitre D' on our first night to let him know we have two vegetarians at our table. The girls will be perfectly happy with pasta and marinara or butter sauce :).

Many vegetarians only avoid red meat and fowl. Seafood is acceptable. Or you can request it without the lobster. Besides that leaves out the 'always available' options and I am pretty sure a plain pasta is on that. I guess I just don't see eating the same thing twice in a week as a huge horror fest. Does no one eat leftovers any more?

Many vegetarians only avoid red meat and fowl. Seafood is acceptable. Or you can request it without the lobster. Besides that leaves out the 'always available' options and I am pretty sure a plain pasta is on that. I guess I just don't see eating the same thing twice in a week as a huge horror fest. Does no one eat leftovers any more?

No, eating the same thing twice a week is not a horror fest but I did not see a menu with a vegetarian option that wasn't the Vegetable Pot Pie. I think eating the same thing five times a week is a little much.

No, eating the same thing twice a week is not a horror fest but I did not see a menu with a vegetarian option that wasn't the Vegetable Pot Pie. I think eating the same thing five times a week is a little much.

I have seen ratatouille, a truly fantabulous vegetable crepe like thing, spinach ravioli and a plethora of curries. and at least one tofu dish.

The Special Needs department will NOT think that you are bothering them....that is what they are there for....to help make a cruisers experience the best it can be. The Maitre D' will also we very happy to help!

We are on board now and the vegetarian option pot pie was pretty good. But it would get old. Still, I would contact special needs so they can alert the staff in the MDR and the chefs. I did see a few vegetarian options in WJ as well, and things like stuffed potatoes. I have been disappointed with the lack of pasta!

Here is tonight's menu! I am pleased to say that there is a new menu option for vegetarians on it.

571291d6af85f0cd4b9a5d3c65eacf8d.jpg