Newbie on HAL-need some help

ahsmom3x

I will just apologize now, I am not tech savvy at all. I've been looking through threads for many hours today doing research, and because most of the posts were older, I want to check to see if the suggestions were current. These questions may have already been answered.

We are going on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam. Departs Vancouver goes to Astoria and then San Francisco.

We decided to fly into Seattle, we've never been there and want to get to Vancouver somehow. There will be three adults and 1 child (12).

Best way? Most cost effective way?

Any suggestion for what we might be able to fit in at Vancouver before getting on the ship?

This will be our first time on HAL.

There are several ways to get from Seattle to Vancouver. The most cost-effective way may be to rent a large van, pile in, and drive up. That way you can take breaks when you want. I did the reverse route with some others one time, and it was a pleasant ride.

You could also use the HAL bus transfer that leaves from Seattle airport and goes directly to the ship. Obviously, you won't see much of Vancouver that way. You will also get to the ship about 2:00 PM, and could feel rushed getting all those boarding details completed before you need to clean up for dinner. It will also be expensive for four people, and not a great time for a child.

I've taken it, and would be reluctant to do so again only because I felt I didn't have much time before muster.

There's a train that goes up the coast, leaving early morning. Again, this could cost a bit for four people.

There's also a short flight from Seattle to Vancouver. I've taken the reverse route.

We have been to both Seattle and Vancouver a number of times so have a number of favorite activities/locations we've enjoyed. For example, a ride on the Washington State ferry to Bainbridge Island for lunch is a favorite. A visit to Granville Island, Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, and Stanley Park are favorites in the Vancouver area.

For our Niew Amsterdam cruise in May, we flew to Seattle on Thursday and arriving in the afternoon leaving time to walk along the piers. We also had a nice dinner at a trendy restaurant in Pioneer Square. The hotel we chose was downtown near the King St. station. Friday morning we left our bags with the valet and spent the day visiting the Space Needle and Pike St. Public Market. Watch out for flying fish! Friday evening we rode the Amtrak Cascade to Vancouver. It is a nice scenic and relaxing way to Vancouver as the route hugs Puget Sound most of the way. The next morning we embarked on the NADM.

Upon return, we stayed in Vancouver overnight, then an evening train Sunday back to Seattle and flew home the next day from Seattle.

Growing up in a large metropolitan area and now living in another one, I don't mind using public transportation to save the hassle of parking. But I do use cabs and private cars though when needed. Both cities have excellent transit systems with economical day passes. I also recommend the Hop On-Hop Off buses for getting a flavor of both cities if time is limited. Enjoy your cruise - and your visits!

ahsmom3x, there is another bus option, not too expensive, called Quick Shuttle. They make 3-4 daily trips from Seattle to Vancouver, leaving from the airport and downtown Seattle locations. The only problem I can see is that unless you take the earliest shuttle, which leaves the airport at 8:00 a.m., you won't get to the ship on time. The 8:00 shuttle arrives at Canada Place at 12:35 p.m. The second shuttle leaves the airport at 10:00 a.m. and arrives at Canada Place at 3:00 p.m., way too late. Also, the times I mentioned are for the summer schedule, which runs to September 25. The fall schedule might be different. Here's a link to the current schedule: http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

One suggestion, if you haven't already purchased your tickets, would be to fly directly into Vancouver. Or, fly into Seattle, but plan on spending one night in Vancouver so that you can see a little of the city before getting on the ship.

We are on the same cruise as you. We are flying into Vancouver the day before and spending the night in Vancouver.

Good luck with your plans.

The train is a great way to get to Vancouver. It's through Amtrak, tickets are fairly inexpensive (you can also get a AAA discount, if you are a member), and the scenery is amazing. We live in the Seattle area and have taken the train to both Vancouver and Portland. It's nice to not have to deal with the awful traffic here, plus you can walk around, go to the restroom and get snacks all in route. Do check the times though. The last time I checked for Vancouver the time had been switched to departing in the late afternoon.

Welcome to Holland America.

Every time we cruise from Vancouver we rent a car at the SEATAC airport and make the three-hour drive north. There are Avis and Hertz drop-off offices about four blocks from the terminal. A van or SUV would be a good choice to hold the luggage for four

A rental car will allow you to stop and purchase all of the liquid toiletries that you did not need to bring in your suitcases. You can also pick up your water and sodas to carry on board.

OP

You didn't mention when you are flying into Seattle -- hopefully the day before you head to Vancouver. That way you won't be worrying if you can get to the ship on time.

We did HAL's transfer a couple of times (booked our own hotels). One time we got to the ship after 3 and were really rushed getting on and getting to the lifeboat drill. Never got to unpack until after dinner.

The train is a great way to get to Vancouver. It's through Amtrak, tickets are fairly inexpensive (you can also get a AAA discount, if you are a member), and the scenery is amazing. We live in the Seattle area and have taken the train to both Vancouver and Portland. It's nice to not have to deal with the awful traffic here, plus you can walk around, go to the restroom and get snacks all in route. Do check the times though. The last time I checked for Vancouver the time had been switched to departing in the late afternoon.

Amtrak actually has a train in the morning, and evening daily. There are also four Thruway buses on the same route interspersed through the day as well. The morning train will arrive early enough (11:45 am) in Vancouver to make it an option. It is about a 10-15 minute cab ride to Canada Place. I will say that I am in the group though that likes to be in place the day before I embark, just in case.

Also, Amtrak serves Vancouver, WA as well on the Cascades routes so don't confuse the two.

It seems you will be arriving in Seattle in early October. Are you spending any time in Seattle itself? Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, Smith Tower, the waterfront, Seattle Center and the Space Needle are all popular tourist sites. Be aware that Seattle is building a SeaWall and a transportation tunnel, so construction along the waterfront is rampant. It does affect traffic flow and how people move about the city since sidewalks are blocked, etc.

However, if you are not planning on taking the short flight from Seattle to Vancouver, you’ll need some kind of wheels to get between the two cities — car, train or bus.

Driving

It’s a straight shot north on Interstate 5 to the U.S.-Canada border at the Peace Arch at Blaine and then onward to Vancouver on Highway 99. Driving time is about 3 hours, more if the border is congested (as it often is on weekends). Signs on the highways near the border give wait times. We have waited up to 1 hour to cross the border, so put extra time in your plans if you are taking this option. You might want to check about car rental between two countries since you are picking up in the US and dropping off in Canada. There might be extra costs associated with that arrangement.

Train

Amtrak has trains between Seattle and Vancouver, B.C. It’s a scenic ride, with long stretches along waterfront, that takes about 4 hours. However, you will need to get to the train station from Sea-Tac airport, which is about 30 minutes apart. There are shuttles, taxis and the light rail option you can explore to get downtown.

Bus

There are bus options either from Sea-Tac Airport or downtown Seattle to various Vancouver stops. Bus travel time is about 3½ to 4 hours depending on the number of stops and border congestion. I believe the bus charges for any bags more than 1 per person, so you may want to check that out if that is an issue.

What to do in Vancouver

There are a variety of things to do in Vancouver, including Stanley Park, which includes places like the Brockton Point Totem Pole, taking the water taxi to Granville Island, go to Grouse Mountain, walk across the Capilano Suspension Bridge, see the steam-powered clock in Gastown or visit the Chinese gardens. If you have never been to Vancouver before, you may want to take the hop-on and hop-off bus which will take you to all the major attractions. The driver will provide a brief overview and you can return to any area of interest.

Have a great cruise, Astoria is a nice, small sea town (with lots of sea lions) and of course famous for the Lewis and Clark Expedition spending their final winter there (Fort Clatsop) before returning home and your final destination is a a world-class city.

Oh thank you so much everyone! You're all fantastic. You've given me lots of ways to consider how to get from Seattle to Vancouver and even things to do!

I'm doing this for my husband who is turning 50 on the cruise and celebrating his recent 20 years of military service with the AF! I'm so happy I can do this for him.

If I have additional questions, I will be sure to ask. :)