Airline Credit Card Flight Benefits

Classiccruiser777

If using an airlines credit card to pay for a cruise that includes air and the airline that O books is the same as the branded card do the benefits of the card fully apply on the flight? For example, many airline cards allow the first checked bag free. If I use an AA card to pay for a cruise that includes flights on AA would we get the free checked bag (and the other benefits that card offers)?

If using an airlines credit card to pay for a cruise that includes air and the airline that O books is the same as the branded card do the benefits of the card fully apply on the flight? For example, many airline cards allow the first checked bag free. If I use an AA card to pay for a cruise that includes flights on AA would we get the free checked bag (and the other benefits that card offers)?

It depends on the policy of the Credit card in question. They need to tell you what class of ticket they will honor the benefit(s) with.

It works with Delta Skymiles CC.

It did not work with United for me. However, the local airport agent waived the checked baggage fee for me when I departed. On the return flight post cruise, I was charged the checked baggage fee. The Canadian agent informed me I would need to contact the credit card. Upon return, I did this and was told to contact the airline ((United). In the end I didn't fight it. In the future I will make my own air arrangements [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It works with Delta Skymiles CC.

With Delta is doesn't matter who bought the ticket. All that matters is that you have a Skymiles card and you have your Delta FF number on your reservation. They know that you have the card.

With AA I'm not completely sure but I can't remember having to pay baggage fees, but with AA I frequently book my own flights, except for international flights then you get some free bags anyway.

With Delta is doesn't matter who bought the ticket. All that matters is that you have a Skymiles card and you have your Delta FF number on your reservation. They know that you have the card.

With AA I'm not completely sure but I can't remember having to pay baggage fees, but with AA I frequently book my own flights, except for international flights then you get some free bags anyway.

IIRC, with UA you have to use their CC to buy the tickets to qualify for free baggage.

I am sure Hawaiidan will correct me if I am wrong :D

On UA and AA, if you are flying international, you get an inclusive baggage allowance anyway, so having the 1st bag free is a non issue.

Even though you might pay for the cruise with an AA card( for example), AA is paid by O differently. They have no clue as to how you paid for the cruise, and really don't care.

Always attempt to ensure that O gives the airline your frequent flyer numbers, and ensure it is on the tickets when printed at the airport! I can tell you that the system some times stumbles, if O books you (for example) on SAS and you're wanting them to give SAS your UA ff number. Same goes with BA and AA. Always make sure this issue is addressed at airport check-in.

I have always done domestic air travel for cruises embarking and disembarking in the US on my own, so cannot comment of the purely domestic issue.

Always attempt to ensure that O gives the airline your frequent flyer numbers, and ensure it is on the tickets when printed at the airport!

Your FF number would not help you with free luggage (with AA) unless you have status with them.

However, it will ensure that you get miles for your flight.

Your FF number would not help you with free luggage (with AA) unless you have status with them.

However, it will ensure that you get miles for your flight.

And earning miles is good, anyway I can get them.

For example, many airline cards allow the first checked bag free. If I use an AA card to pay for a cruise that includes flights on AA would we get the free checked bag (and the other benefits that card offers)?

With AA yes, as long as your FF is in the reservation, all of the benefits apply:First Checked Bag Free. For benefit to apply, the Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open 7 days prior to air travel, and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled.