Waitlisted/Guarantee Cabin Any Experience

PatriciaF

When you book a guarantee in any category of stateroom, do you pay less than the lowest cabin price on their web site for that particular type of cabin? And then hope to be upgraded to a higher cabin: DV6 to DV3 or 1?

Oh wow. I honestly thought it would be more last minute. Thank you for your responses.

We were warned that it could be as late as when we arrive to check in, but it seems like each experience is different.

When you book a guarantee in any category of stateroom, do you pay less than the lowest cabin price on their web site for that particular type of cabin? And then hope to be upgraded to a higher cabin: DV6 to DV3 or 1?

We paid the going rate for our V1 Gty (there were no V1 cabins available at the time or we would have picked a cabin) and were happy to get upgraded to DV4, though prices had dropped and the DV4 was then going for the same price as we paid for the V1 Gty. I've read about others who got the same category they paid for - no upgrade. I think it's best to be sure you'd be happy getting what you were guaranteed. If you happen to get an upgrade, what a pleasant surprise!

• 2 weeks later...
We just booked our first Viking Ocean cruise and were offered the GTD V1 for our TA on Sky from San Juan to Barcelona on March 4, 2018. Like most all the PPs, I will be happy with any cabin but ecstatic if we get an upgrade....can you say Explorer Suite? LOL

Not in your lifetime will you jump from a v2 to a Explorer Suite . Maybe a DV 2 or 3 but not what your dreaming of .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not in your lifetime will you jump from a v2 to a Explorer Suite . Maybe a DV 2 or 3 but not what your dreaming of .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That was meant as a joke but I was disappointed when we were assigned a V2 even though DVs are now going for significantly less than what we paid for the guarantee. Last time I book a guarantee with Viking.

We booked several months ago. We sail JAN 25 and as of today JAN 1 don't have a cabin assignment. Has anyone not gotten their cabin until day of?

We are on this same sailing and for some reason when I tried to book a guarantee cabin it was refused and when I recently asked the question directly to Viking, they stated that they do not do guarantee bookings. My question to you is how did you manage to do so? Did you book direct or through an agent?

I know I am beating this subject to death, but I'm just trying to find out how I can book a GTY cabin in the future.

We are on this same sailing and for some reason when I tried to book a guarantee cabin it was refused and when I recently asked the question directly to Viking, they stated that they do not do guarantee bookings. My question to you is how did you manage to do so? Did you book direct or through an agent?

I know I am beating this subject to death, but I'm just trying to find out how I can book a GTY cabin in the future.

I use viking agent and they suggested it to me but somehow it was taken off my account and I was assigned a cabin right from the beginning instead of having to wait .

When we booked (about a year in advance of our cruise), it was listed on their website as being the only way to book a V2 and we booked on the phone with a Viking representative. Subsequently we transferred the booking (it was still a guarantee) to a Travel Agent to take advantage of their onboard credit offering. Sounds like maybe the Viking agent you talked to didn't have all the right info?

We booked in late January 2017 for a cruise departing on April 22, 2017. GTY was the only option for us when booking a V1 room at that time. Our rooms were assigned a few weeks ahead of our departure date and we were upgraded to PV2 rooms! We were so pleased!

• 3 months later...

We booked a guarantee DV6 for 4/14/18 Trade Routes of the Middle Ages. As of today - a week out - we do not have a cabin assignment. Last year we did Mediterranean Odyssey DV6 guarantee and were assigned a PV1 a few weeks before sailing. It was wonderful! I saw on roll call that one person who booked a specific cabin on the 4/14/18 cruise received an email yesterday offering him an upgrade for $800. They must be trying to sell the better cabins at a discounted rate before assigning guarantees. I fear I will be in a DV6 cabin and we won’t know until we get to the ship.

My sisters are on the Sea next week. They booked a guaranteed DV6 after Christmas. They didn’t know their assignment until this week (saw it in MVJ). Got a DV2 on deck 5.

You may get your assignment and possible upgrade after they make the adjustments for those lucky enough to get the email offer from Viking.

I understand the email offers are random.