MSC Changes Boarding Procedures

Mikesa1721

New Boarding Procedure: (Translated From Italian)

Delivery of luggage and card withdrawal (boarding card) with the number that indicates when you must present the check-in desk;

presentation of travel documents at the counter check-in for a first inspection;

photos of pre-boarding ritual;

you board the ship, where it is carried out a second check of travel documents and personal details by security personnel;

is taken with a portable system the photo identification that will be connected to your cruise card which you will find already in the cabin.

Here is a video of the new procedure:

[YOUTUBE]j3wHhU3dC94[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Mikesa1721

So how does priority boarding fit into all this I wonder? looks like a long winded way of getting people onboard that looks ok but will fail the first time one of the scanners breaks down! After all this is MSC and sadly they are not renowned for organisation.

Bea ... Cannot wait for you letting us know how you get on.

Increase security, wonder if that's US also. I don't mind, I think it's being smart.

For now this only affects those passengers sailing itineraries in Europe I have just been told. However, those sailing European itineraries will no longer be required to complete the "Web Check-In" as you will pass through 2 different security check points before boarding the ship. Also,,you will not receive your stateroom key during check-in, your stateroom key will be waiting for you in your cabin.:D

Edited by Mikesa1721

So how does priority boarding fit into all this I wonder? looks like a long winded way of getting people onboard that looks ok but will fail the first time one of the scanners breaks down! After all this is MSC and sadly they are not renowned for organisation.

Bea ... Cannot wait for you letting us know how you get on.

There is a separate line for "Priority Boarding" Sid. Watching the video,you can see the sign to the left of the kiosk in the cruise terminal.:)

Dave ............... you're so right. MSC can be chaotic at the best of times. It'll be interesting to see how they handle these new procedures!

Mike .................. cruisecards in the cabins will more likely encourage people to head straight there on embarkation to retrieve them, when maybe cabins won't be ready for occupation which would mean the cards won't be available. Also, two points:

1. How to access the cabin to retrieve the cards and how secure will they be? In other words, how will it work that you'll be the only one able to collect them?

2. How will you get a drink in a bar or at the buffet without a cruisecard while waiting for your cabin to be readied, should it not be so on embarkation?

Dave ............... you're so right. MSC can be chaotic at the best of times. It'll be interesting to see how they handle these new procedures!

Mike .................. cruisecards in the cabins will more likely encourage people to head straight there on embarkation to retrieve them, when maybe cabins won't be ready for occupation which would mean the cards won't be available. Also, two points:

1. How to access the cabin to retrieve the cards and how secure will they be? In other words, how will it work that you'll be the only one able to collect them?

2. How will you get a drink in a bar or at the buffet without a cruisecard while waiting for your cabin to be readied, should it not be so on embarkation?

I'm asking my friends in Italy those questions now Bea,,,I should have an answer for you shortly.:)

There is a separate line for "Priority Boarding" Sid.

Haha, Mike - it might be in the video. That was probably a fairly organised terminal. I embarked in Barcelona on a cruise last year - the Divina TA - where there was no priority boarding desk! MSC was using a different terminal to the one they usually use there and couldn't adjust their embarkation procedures accordingly :rolleyes: There was chaos as wheelchair users were swamped with the general crowd pushing into the queue and total confusion as people with later numbers were ahead of those with earlier ones. We had priority boarding being Black Card and we also had my dad in a wheelchair (which the head butler, Kamil, arranged to get as they were almost impossible to find. We'd been in YC only a few weeks beforehand which was how he knew us and very generously helped us out!). The wheelchair assistant brought us to the side of the queues which was the exit point for those who'd been checked in so we ended up in everyone's way! Added to that, those in wheelchairs as well as others entitled to priority boarding began queuing up behind us in the mistaken belief that a Priority Boarding desk had opened up there.

Having said all that, in most cases priority boarding can be a breeze. Just thought I'd share my experience of how badly it can go wrong when it does! On my April cruise from Venice we arrived at the terminal and were sitting ordering lunch in the MDR less than half an hour later! So when it's good, it's very, very good :D .............. and when it's bad, it's awful :eek: :D:D:D

Morning Mike ... Thanks for pointing that out, I was going to mention the card in cabin issue as well because without it as we know you cannot get in and for the door to be left open as in locking the door open brings about a security issue as Bea pointed out.

sometimes these things are not well thought out.

Haha, Mike - it might be in the video. That was probably a fairly organised terminal. I embarked in Barcelona on a cruise last year - the Divina TA - where there was no priority boarding desk! MSC was using a different terminal to the one they usually use there and couldn't adjust their embarkation procedures accordingly :rolleyes: There was chaos as wheelchair users were swamped with the general crowd pushing into the queue and total confusion as people with later numbers were ahead of those with earlier ones. We had priority boarding being Black Card and we also had my dad in a wheelchair (which the head butler, Kamil, arranged to get as they were almost impossible to find. We'd been in YC only a few weeks beforehand which was how he knew us and very generously helped us out!). The wheelchair assistant brought us to the side of the queues which was the exit point for those who'd been checked in so we ended up in everyone's way! Added to that, those in wheelchairs as well as others entitled to priority boarding began queuing up behind us in the mistaken belief that a Priority Boarding desk had opened up there.

Having said all that, in most cases priority boarding can be a breeze. Just thought I'd share my experience of how badly it can go wrong when it does! On my April cruise from Venice we arrived at the terminal and were sitting ordering lunch in the MDR less than half an hour later! So when it's good, it's very, very good :D .............. and when it's bad, it's awful :eek: :D:D:D

We've experienced a long delay in boarding once in Miami Bea when we booked a Fantastica experience. It was quite the experience to say the least, so I pledged to myself that I will be sure to book Aurea or higher just to get priority boarding,,at least until I get to Black Card status

Hopefully someone who experiences the new procedures in the next couple of weeks will come on here and tell us how they fare. I'd like a heads-up on what to expect. If not, I'll definitely report back if the system is implemented on my upcoming trip and let ye know how I got on.

Ok Bea,,,I have been told that all staterooms will be open once you board the ship,,,however,,this would not stop someone from entering your stateroom and stealing your keys which is of great concern for me. Apparently Costa does the same thing,,or used to,,not sure,,I've never sailed Costa,,but Onarate,,who was once with Costa and is now with MSC, orchestrated this procedure and from the comments I've been reading on the Italian MSC boards,,some aren't to comfortable with this idea,,,

A poor idea that needs an urgent rethink, why go to the lengths in the video if anyone can walk into any cabin ?

Mike ... Could not resist copying your cards ... :D

I'll make some for you Sid!!! Just tell me your sail date, and the ship,,and if you are sailing Yacht Club or not,,as well as your MSC Voyager Club level...:D

Oh, Costa have the cruise cards also in the cabin and its works well.

Saturday we will board on the Preziosa in Genova and i will lock how it works., but i don't know how is for the YC.

A month ago it was the old procedure in Genova.

That seems a bit bizarre to me, Mike. I'm trying to get my head around the concept of the cruisecards lying in wait in the cabin. Also, often times people get to board before cabins are ready and are advised to head to the buffet and wait 'til the announcement informs them that they are. If you have a drinks package in place, which I always have, how can you order without the cruisecard :confused: I could do without what looks like is going to be a messy embarkation process. It's not something to look forward to when you've been travelling for up to 12 hours beforehand and are tired and hungry :(

Mike ... Could not resist copying your cards ... :D

Haha ............... very good, Dave. You need to make them a little bigger, though! You also need to change the dining from 2nd to Anytime, seeing as you're in Aurea

Edited by Beamafar

That seems a bit bizarre to me, Mike. I'm trying to get my head around the concept of the cruisecards lying in wait in the cabin. Also, often times people get to board before cabins are ready and are advised to head to the buffet and wait 'til the announcement informs them that they are. If you have a drinks package in place, which I always have, how can you order without the cruisecard :confused: I could do without what looks like is going to be a messy embarkation process. It's not something to look forward to when you've been travelling for up to 12 hours beforehand and are tired and hungry :(

Nikita posted above that they had this experience onboard Costa,,,I'll have to head over to the Costa boards and see if I can't find a thread detailing this new procedure,,:D I did find a thread where a passenger onboard Costa reveals how to get drinks if your stateroom is not ready yet,,here is the link:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2368723&highlight=room+keys

Edited by Mikesa1721

Saturday we will board on the Preziosa in Genova and i will lock how it works., but i don't know how is for the YC.

Please do - though it will be different for YC, even if the cruisecards are in the cabin. I can't say why, it's just perception that somehow it's alright because of the intimate atmosphere of YC :confused:

Nikita posted above that they had this experience onboard Costa,,,I'll have to head over to the Costa boards and see if I can't find a thread detailing this new procedure,,:D I did find a thread where a passenger onboard Costa reveals how to get drinks if your stateroom is not ready yet,,here is the link:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2368723&highlight=room+keys

Fair play, Mike (insert thumbs-up emoticon here :)) - I'll be very interested in reading that.

Edit: Well that all makes perfect sense, now! Of course they'll have it in the system, doh!

Edited by Beamafar