Queen Suites worth it?

mattstur

We have sailed on the QM2 before; however, this time we are considering either the Princess Suites or Queen Suites. Are they worth the extra money? Is there that much difference between the Princess and Queen Suites. Thanks.

Please provide a short essay of between 1000 and 3000 words defining your concept of value for money. Also list a dozen things that you think are worth it and another dozen that you can't imagine ever paying good money for at their typical price.

Sorry if I sound flippant, but the concept of "worth it" is an abstract one that is different for all of us. If you get another five replies, they'll contain at least eight opinions about whether QG suites are worth it. They'll all be wildly variant and they'll all be wrong to somebody.

Edited by Chunky2219
after thought

I've experienced all three, and after being in the QG, I have never looked back (my 13th Cunard voyage leaves in three weeks). It's a wonderful way to travel for those who can afford the difference in fare. As other posters have said, it's difficult to tell the OP if it would be worth it for him or her--it's such an individual preference.

We have sailed on the QM2 before; however, this time we are considering either the Princess Suites or Queen Suites. Are they worth the extra money? Is there that much difference between the Princess and Queen Suites. Thanks.

Is a Cadillac worth more than a Chevy? Is a Bentley worth more than that? It is the same question for suites on all cruise lines.

It's all relative. On board Cunard, anywhere on the ship gets you all the basics and to all the same ports. Moving up to Britannia Club gets you a more plush experience and moving to Princess, even more. Queens will get you the best on offer. And that means so much more than just a larger room.

Is it "worth it"? Only you can decide.

We anxiously look forward to our first Cunard voyage.:)

Cheers!

I've experienced all three, and after being in the QG, I have never looked back (my 13th Cunard voyage leaves in three weeks). It's a wonderful way to travel for those who can afford the difference in fare. As other posters have said, it's difficult to tell the OP if it would be worth it for him or her--it's such an individual preference.

Ballater, there are those who can well afford the difference in fare, but prefer Britannia Club or Britannia accommodations rather than the Grills. Reasons vary.

I agree that it isn't necessarily a case of being able to afford the more expensive accommodation. We all choose what we feel is best for us.

We have our own reasons for normally travelling in the Grills - having said that, we have booked a balcony cabin for one of our three voyages next year because it's an extra and we have two expensive trips booked as well. But generally, we prefer to go less often and in more comfort with the dining flexibility the Grills offer, others prefer to go more often in Britannia. No rights and wrongs, just what works for each of us.

For us, it IS "worth it".

Edited by cruiseluvva

I agree that it isn't necessarily a case of being able to afford the more expensive accommodation. We all choose what we feel is best for us.

We have our own reasons for normally travelling in the Grills - having said that, we have booked a balcony cabin for one of our three voyages next year because it's an extra and we have two expensive trips booked as well. But generally, we prefer to go less often and in more comfort with the dining flexibility the Grills offer, others prefer to go more often in Britannia. No rights and wrongs, just what works for each of us.

For us, it IS "worth it".

Good morning CruiseLuvva.

I like your response.

My wife and I have been accommodated at various times at all four levels and as I have stated on another thread it generally depends on what cruise/voyage itinerary we are on but we have travelled Queens grill more than at any other accommodation level.

Irrespective of accommodation we have enjoyed ourselves on every trip and have never thought we had made a wrong decision when opting for a lower level for a particular cruise.

And I think that is the secret that the OP should consider, particularly as they are sailing again on Queen Mary 2. I copy and paste what I said earlier this week...

"For me the choice usually centres on sociability.

When travelling pure 'back to back' Trans-Atlantic I prefer Princess Grill. I find fellow table guests much more fun and the level of conversation more generative.

On the other hand, when crossing with an additional tagged further destination, i.e. Caribbean, East Coast or World segment(s), then I'm more than happy in the Queens Grill when tables companions usually change with the segments."

Luckily with Cunard we all have the choice. I hope that this comment has helped the OP.

Ballater, there are those who can well afford the difference in fare, but prefer Britannia Club or Britannia accommodations rather than the Grills. Reasons vary.

I have many friends in the situation you describe and twice in the last 18 months I have joined them in Britannia and had a wonderful time with great people and great service.

We Are Cunard.

Point taken, Salacia. I did not phrase that to imply that those who can "well afford the difference in fare" will ONLY go in QG. Obviously, cost is always part, but not all, of the equation.

On the round trip table issue, I think it's a question of your mileage may vary.

I'd rather not have the same table companions for 16 nights. I enjoy meeting and talking with a variety of people from different backgrounds.

I actually liked the HAL dinner setup. We found a group of friends and occasionally added people for given nights, or once in a while we would dine in the alternative restaurant. We just picked a time for dinner each might based on what our ports were and how late we got back.

Most of us met in the roll call, and four of us took two ports to organize independent tours ( the others like Volos, on our own). We had up to thirty people on our tours, or as few as 10. Lots of singles joined us and we all coalesced, even with people that I would have thought I had zero in common with ( for example, the unassuming Betsy from Texas with the big hair and flashing lapel pin worked in basically Cold War intelligence ops.). It's easy to underestimate people based on appearance or dining room.

I'm waiting at Ohare for my flight back to Nee York. I read this thread and just got this exhilarating rush that for two weeks in August I won't have to wait for anything. No half hour wait to get into the Britannia restaurant for lunch, no endless lines at the pursers office. No waits, bacause in Queens Grill, there are no waits, no queues, no low priority. Plus spacious room and awesome food.

We've done 4 crossing and the Grill question comes up each time we book. It's not a cost issue as we book on points (I get to charge $1 mill annually on my AMEX card for work related items.) We always go Britannia as we like being lower in the ship to minimize the movement. And we like being closer to the water as we sometimes see dolphins and whales right outside the sheltered balcony. We wonder how many people on TA crossings get to use the balcony due to the wind. The big draw of Grills that we see is that you can pick your own dining times.

One of these times we going to sail on a non-crossing voyage. When that happens we plan on booking the grills.

Thank you for all your comments (well, most of them. There were a couple of snarky ones.) I appreciate your help.

Anyone who has read the Cunard boards long enough knows that any posting that is pro-Grills gets scrutinized, picked apart, and criticized for any word or phrase that “may” be construed in any possible way as elitist. That’s a shame, as many pro-Grills posters are probably just like me—middle-class folk who work hard every day and choose to spend our saved vacation time and money on that one exquisite way to travel each year. We have thick skins, or we would never post here. Mattstur, whichever way you choose to travel, I hope you enjoy every second! Life is short.

Well said!

It would be nice if people could feel more comfortable participating without being put down. After 17 years, I just let it go and dig in for the nuggets of helpful information offered by others. I try and give back, too.

I usually just go on a board for the line on which I am planning travel. I don't know who is on there now, but HAL had a very warm and knowledgable community. At the time, I was traveling with kids (first cruise) on a long European trip.

In fairness, Cunard has a very small fleet by comparison so it's a less active board with fewer participants.

• 5 weeks later...

I am about to be a first timer so please be kind! We have booked in Queen's Grill. One different way to look at "value" is to ignore all the intangibles and focus on what is actually included. When you are in the Grills, what don't you have to pay for that you otherwise would? I am very interested in this question as I'm keen to maximize the "value" of our (expensive) Grill booking.

So.... I am in Queen's Grill, what will I still have to pay for? what alcohol is included? will I still want to book one night in the Verandah (at extra cost), or is the Queen's Grill better anyway? Do I still have to pay if I want a fancy chocolate (Godiva's) or a cappuccino? Are the jokes about the champagne being undrinkable - will we have to pay for a glass of champagne because that provided is really awful?

In your cabin on arrival will get a bottle of the undrinkable sparkling Pol Acker, a bottle of real champagne, your 'fridge will be stocked with soft drinks, mixers and beer and they will be replenished daily - even twice daily - you will also be able to order two bottles of spirits - or wine - from a list. Some have found these spirits or wine be be replenished when necessary, others have not. We never finish them so can't comment on that.

You also get a fruit bowl that is replenished as and when, daily canapes and on embarkation some small sweet treats. Plus sweet treats on formal evenings. I think I've remembered everything.

You get the services of a Concierge, who will book trips, make reservations etc. Everything else, apart from daily coffee in the Grill's lounge on the smaller Queens and in the Concierge Lounge on QM2, is to be paid for.

As a vegetarian, I have found the Veranda menu not to my taste so we have never felt the need to book. Enjoy QG - it's wonderful.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Hi JTor,

... I am in Queen's Grill, what will I still have to pay for? what alcohol is included?
You'll be able to request a bottle of spirits/wine each for consumption in your suite, which will be replaced as needed during your voyage. Drinks in the bars on board will be charged.
... will I still want to book one night in the Verandah, or is the Queen's Grill better anyway?
You may want to try the Verandah on a long voyage for variety, but the Queens Grill restaurant offers far more choice and better service.
... Are the jokes about the champagne being undrinkable - will we have to pay for a glass of champagne because that provided is really awful?
In Queens Grill, on embarkation, there are usually two bottles waiting for you.

One is the Cunard House NV Champagne (Delamotte I think); very drinkable for an unsophisticated palate like mine, whilst the other bottle contains some form of liquid (carefully check the seal hasn't been broken, if it has, evacuate the room). Do not be fooled by the words "sparkling wine" or the seemingly innocent, harmless appearance.

This second bottle/chemical flask is provided in all cabins on board. Cunard do this as new passengers, not knowing any better, open it and drink the contents. Within seconds the cabin becomes "free" again; a quick tidy up... :eek: ... and passengers can be upgraded into the newly-vacant accommodation ;) (hence the tales of upgrades at check-in for GTY passengers; now you know... ).

You can tell the bottle from the flask because the drinkable one has the word "Champagne" on it. Whilst the other, glow-in-the-dark container, comes complete with long tongs and a full chemical spillage protection suit. Do not attempt to open this flask without putting on the suit; in fact, scrub that, do not attampt to open it.

Some passengers claim to take the "Pol" home with them after the trip, and give it to family or friends. I'm lucky, I don't know anyone I dislike that much ;) .

Hope this helps. People with far greater knowledge of Queens Grill will be along soon to answer more questions and give better advice.

Best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

I will I still want to book one night in the Verandah (at extra cost), or is the Queen's Grill better anyway?

No, the Queen’s Grill is not better anyway. In my view, the Verandah is the way the QG should be. Not just the food, but the ambiance and the service. I have read that it can be, and maybe it often is, but in our two times in the QG (on the QV), I found the Grill experience rather underwhelming. The food is not extraordinary, and the restaurant si so crowded. We do not want table companions and conversation, so we insist on a table for 2, which we got, but once it was between two other tables for two, with barely enough elbow space and opposite a service island, and the second time if was between another table for 2, with just as little space as before, and the inside window giving to the patio (lovely, but that is no sea view).

In the Verandah, as a QG guest (and even if not), you can count on getting a sea view booth and a large table, extra-attentive and proactive service that is at least as good as in the QG. And then there is the food. My only complaint about the Verandah is that the menu is so frozen in time. IT never changes, which is an issue if you go often. But it is always a treat, that is not made any less attractive because you are ‘paying’ the Grill price anyway. The extra-charge is really nominal. So I say ‘Go, Verandah !’

The real attraction of the QG is the stateroom. A Q6 on the Vic is an awesome treat, and a Q4 too, of course, although the layout and location on the ship is less attractive.

Hi JTor,You'll be able to request a bottle of spirits/wine each for consumption in your suite, which will be replaced as needed during your voyage. Drinks in the bars on board will be charged.

You may want to try the Verandah on a long voyage for variety, but the Queens Grill restaurant offers far more choice and better service.

In Queens Grill, on embarkation, there are usually two bottles waiting for you.

One is the Cunard House NV Champagne (Delamotte I think); very drinkable for an unsophisticated palate like mine, whilst the other bottle contains some form of liquid (carefully check the seal hasn't been broken, if it has, evacuate the room). Do not be fooled by the words "sparkling wine" or the seemingly innocent, harmless appearance.

This second bottle/chemical flask is provided in all cabins on board. Cunard do this as new passengers, not knowing any better, open it and drink the contents. Within seconds the cabin becomes "free" again; a quick tidy up... :eek: ... and passengers can be upgraded into the newly-vacant accommodation ;) (hence the tales of upgrades at check-in for GTY passengers; now you know... ).

You can tell the bottle from the flask because the drinkable one has the word "Champagne" on it. Whilst the other, glow-in-the-dark container, comes complete with long tongs and a full chemical spillage protection suit. Do not attempt to open this flask without putting on the suit; in fact, scrub that, do not attampt to open it.

Some passengers claim to take the "Pol" home with them after the trip, and give it to family or friends. I'm lucky, I don't know anyone I dislike that much ;) .

Hope this helps. People with far greater knowledge of Queens Grill will be along soon to answer more questions and give better advice.

Best wishes to you :)

Pepper, you are TOO funny. You brightened my day!

My husband and I just returned from 14 nights on the QE in QG (our 13th Cunard voyage). It was heavenly! The cabin, a Q4, was perfection, with a wonderful butler and steward. All the things that make a QG suite a very special treat were in place: privacy curtain; impeccably prepared room service meals; extra pillows and a super-comfortable bed; excellent canapes; meticulously maintained cabin with plenty of room; lots and lots of towels; plenty of closet and drawer space; complimentary bottles of wine whenever one was finished; cheese and crackers, nuts, chips, chocolate-covered strawberries delivered nearly every day; extra blankets delivered so we could nap on the large veranda...and all done cheerfully and always respectful of our privacy. Just about our every wish was anticipated and fulfilled. The QG restaurant service was also excellent, probably the best we've ever experienced. The only slight downside was the restaurant itself. The food and menu choices are not what they once were. But we knew this going in because of other CC threads, so we did not let it mar our vacation. Overall, a fabulous trip--we just booked another two-week voyage for 2017!