Call from NCL re: water

NW Pacific

I know for a fact that the Gem and the Escape already have these new coffee machines and possibly the pearl as well as other ships.

Harriet

Just got off the Pearl, still have the Lavazza machines in the suite.

IMO, for my only personal habits - switching to Nespresso is far more egregious than not having Coke or allowing carry on bottled water!

Edited by titangas

This seems like a very silly switch to me. I also don't understand the Nespresso raves going on out there. I find it meh ..but my machine was a gift from hubs and he and one daughter enjoy it.

Could be a few reasons…

The machines were big and bulky and took up a lot of room and a lot of people have problems operating it. The older the machine gets the harder it is to get parts for repair

Another reason might be that they were losing too much money with people making their own cappuccinos and specialty coffees. Now they have to purchase it.

My husband is a big coffee drinker - not so much me. However there is an attachment you can buy for about $99 that foams up the milk real nice and then you just dump the espresso in that. I've taken ours on my cruise with me in the past

Harriet

Sorry, but you have evaded my question. You can put a spin on anything, but if a company can triple the CEO's salary, they should share some of their largesse with the shareholders.

We are going way way off topic here and I am to blame and I'm waiting for some moderator to scold me. But to answer your question...

I don't see anything anywhere that states Del Rio received a 3X salary increase. And I have dug through every resource imaginable.

What I think you mean is he got paid a ton and literally I mean a ton of money last year. But that is all based on his original contract that he signed in 2014 when Sheehan left. His salary was and still is 1.75 mil. FYI, the Carnival CEO gets 2 mil a year base salary. Where the big bucks came in was incentives that are part of his contract and based on what I said earlier about their stock growth, looks like they did pretty well. But incentives are not the same as getting a salary increase. So unless I missed something, I am pretty sure he's operating under the same contract from 2014.

To your overall point, CEOs in all major companies make an insane amount of money and I don't disagree that some of that should go back to the staff in bonuses but for all I know, that is already happening. But NCL isn't doing anything out of line with what the rest of corporate America does.

When the housing crisis went insane and we did the bail out a few years ago, everyone was up in arms about executives making bonuses and even congress chiming in with outrage. The problem is, the business had legally binding contracts that required them to pay out the bonus if the incentive in the contract was reached. Not paying them would be the same as not paying someone their paycheck. Totally illegal. I'm not supporting these CEOs with massive paychecks, just stating the facts.

Hope I answered you this time. No spin. lol

What law is this, exactly? I'm afraid the CEO's of almost every Fortune 500 company will be heading directly to jail.

Companies invest money in research, personnel, morale, recruiting, and other areas which are all cost centers.

Companies further are not obligated to make a profit. Look at the first 5 years of Google, Amazon, etc.

According to your logic every CEO who ever gave an employee a raise, would be subject to prison.

Here's a New York Times article also stating it's utterly false, the claim you made: http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/04/16/what-are-corporations-obligations-to-shareholders/corporations-dont-have-to-maximize-profits

First of all, let me apologize to everyone on this thread as this thing is way hijacked.

First, there is a significant difference between a privately held company and a publicly traded company. Using your example of Google, the last year of revenue before IPO was 2003 and their revenue was 1.3 billion dollars. That's not something to sneeze at especially in 2003 dollars. They were owned by several VC (Venture Capital) firms so that rule doesn't really apply to them. This is why startups focus on market share over revenue with the assumption that once you have market share, you can create revenue. Then they IPO. (or get sold)

Once they go public, the story changes dramatically.

Research and development is done to create something that has the potential for profit in the future, like NCL buying new ships. That's normal. HR benefits, etc etc. All that stuff you listed. No one is talking about any of that.

And as I stated before, the law is rarely ever used to put someone in jail although there are some cases. It is however, used in class action law suits that get the CEO fired and he could be personally liable for those things which I also think I mentioned. A simple Google search will show you literally thousands of law firms that specialize in fiduciary law suits.

I hope that makes sense. And to emphasize my point, here is a NY Times article of my own! lol

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/04/16/what-are-corporations-obligations-to-shareholders/a-duty-to-shareholder-value

Can we go back to talking about water? Ha ha ha....

Edited by pliskin

What is the size of the bottled water in the NCL packages? I am on the Jade in Jan. and it's $27.08 for 6 bottles. No description of whether these are liter bottles, etc.

I just pre-purchased a 12 bottle package for my upcoming Princess cruise-$6.90 for twelve 16 oz. bottles.

Thank you.

What is the size of the bottled water in the NCL packages? I am on the Jade in Jan. and it's $27.08 for 6 bottles. No description of whether these are liter bottles, etc.

I just pre-purchased a 12 bottle package for my upcoming Princess cruise-$6.90 for twelve 16 oz. bottles.

Thank you.

They are 1 liter Aquafina bottles if this is correct: https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/bottled-water-packages

You can see the more you order the lower the price. You are paying about $4.51 per liter. The cheapest I have found Aquafina 1 liter bottles in a store is over the lowest online price I found, $1.25. Not sure what shipping would do to that price. My local convenience store had 1 liter bottles for $1.95.

It's a premium brand that I would not normally buy on land, and it's 2.5 to 4 times the price of normal shore prices.

They are 1 liter Aquafina bottles if this is correct: https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/bottled-water-packages

You can see the more you order the lower the price. You are paying about $4.51 per liter. The cheapest I have found Aquafina 1 liter bottles in a store is over the lowest online price I found, $1.25. Not sure what shipping would do to that price. My local convenience store had 1 liter bottles for $1.95.

It's a premium brand that I would not normally buy on land, and it's 2.5 to 4 times the price of normal shore prices.

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful.

We are going way way off topic here and I am to blame and I'm waiting for some moderator to scold me. But to answer your question...

I don't see anything anywhere that states Del Rio received a 3X salary increase. And I have dug through every resource imaginable.

What I think you mean is he got paid a ton and literally I mean a ton of money last year. But that is all based on his original contract that he signed in 2014 when Sheehan left. His salary was and still is 1.75 mil. FYI, the Carnival CEO gets 2 mil a year base salary. Where the big bucks came in was incentives that are part of his contract and based on what I said earlier about their stock growth, looks like they did pretty well. But incentives are not the same as getting a salary increase. So unless I missed something, I am pretty sure he's operating under the same contract from 2014.

To your overall point, CEOs in all major companies make an insane amount of money and I don't disagree that some of that should go back to the staff in bonuses but for all I know, that is already happening. But NCL isn't doing anything out of line with what the rest of corporate America does.

When the housing crisis went insane and we did the bail out a few years ago, everyone was up in arms about executives making bonuses and even congress chiming in with outrage. The problem is, the business had legally binding contracts that required them to pay out the bonus if the incentive in the contract was reached. Not paying them would be the same as not paying someone their paycheck. Totally illegal. I'm not supporting these CEOs with massive paychecks, just stating the facts.

Hope I answered you this time. No spin. lol

I suppose I should apologize for my error in figures. His salary wasn't tripled according to the Bloomberg release. See below. BTW It took less than one minute to find this information !!!

Cruise Lines Top paid CEOs salaries for 2015 | Crew Center

crew-center.com/cruise-lines-top-paid-ceos-salaries-2015‎CachedApr 13, 2016 ... According to Bloomberg the biggest compensation for 2015 was payed to the Norwegian cruise line CEO Frank J. Del Rio of staggering $31.9 million. This is quite enormous sum of money considering that in 2014 his compensation was only $2.1 million.

Edited by swedish weave

Not sure when the last time you cruised was… But FYI –

They are in the process of switching out on the Lavazza coffee machines with Nespresso coffee machines. I know for a fact that the Gem and the Escape already have these new coffee machines and possibly the pearl as well as other ships. These machines ONLY make espresso. They no longer make cappuccino etc. you must now purchase tha you must now purchase specialty coffee even if in the Haven and/or suite

Harriet

That's not true! We just got off of Norwegian Escape on Saturday having spent a week in the Haven and I drank at least 4 cups of cappuccino a day in my room using the personal cappuccino machine supplied. When I asked our Butler for additional supplies he brought mounds of cappuccino refills and loads more cream and sweetener for us. As far as I could tell he would have brought as much as we wanted.

Edited by Jana60

That's not true! We just got off of Norwegian Escape on Saturday having spent a week in the Haven and I drank at least 4 cups of cappuccino a day in my room using the personal cappuccino machine supplied. When I asked our Butler for additional supplies he brought mounds of cappuccino refills and loads more cream and sweetener for us. As far as I could tell he would have brought as much as we wanted.

Hi, Janpo

Did the maker also provide a regular cup of coffee ?

Thanks

Ann

If you like cappuccino, try the Superior powder mix sold by Farmer Bros in 2 lb bags - Several flavors and you just mix it with hot water. It is very good !!!![/QUOT

Ah HA! I found it on Amazon ? My daughter is going to love this convenience. Thx!

Edited by Annmeat
Found the product that I thought I could not find

Hi, Janpo

Did the maker also provide a regular cup of coffee ?

Thanks

Ann

No just expresso or cappuccino. But your butler will bring you a pot of coffee twenty-four hours a day if you want it in the Haven.

So you were saying there was something there to foam or froth the milk for you to put the coffee in? Or did you have a coffee pot that said cappuccino ? When I was on the escape and the Haven in January they had the nespresso machine and there was nothing there at all to from the milk. One must have found milk for a proper cappuccino

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

So you were saying there was something there to foam or froth the milk for you to put the coffee in? Or did you have a coffee pot that said cappuccino ? When I was on the escape and the Haven in January they had the nespresso machine and there was nothing there at all to from the milk. One must have found milk for a proper cappuccino

Harriet

The little cups containing a concentrated cappuccino only require water and frothing to make the cappuccino which was performed by the cappuccino machine. No additional cream was required and yet it came out creamy but I like extra cream so I always added additional cream. The little cups with the black dot were expresso and while the cappuccino machine still tried to froth these there was no cream in them. The little cups with the blue dot contain concentrated cappuccino. Near the end of the week the butler even left a tray that contained a cup shaped Chocolate shell. I'm ashamed to say it took me a full 12 hours to figure out that it was exactly the size to fit inside the cappuccino cup to make chocolate cappuccino. It was delicious.

Edited by Jana60

The little cups containing a concentrated cappuccino only require water and frothing to make the cappuccino which was performed by the cappuccino machine. No additional cream was required and yet it came out creamy but I like extra cream so I always added additional cream. The little cups with the black dot were expresso and while the cappuccino machine still tried to froth these there was no cream in them. The little cups with the blue dot contain concentrated cappuccino. Near the end of the week the butler even left a tray that contained a cup shaped Chocolate shell. I'm ashamed to say it took me a full 12 hours to figure out that it was exactly the size to fit inside the cappuccino cup to make chocolate cappuccino. It was delicious.

That's not a real cappuccino!

Breaking point? Over water?

actually had a gun pressed against my head in the middle of nowhere in Guatemala yet I never let any of these things ruin my vacations. Even the gun thing.

While I agree with your whole post, I have to ask... can you tell the story of how this happened!???

I've been fairly adventurous in the 30 countries or so that i've visited on cruises, and never had any of these stories to tell (never been stranded, extorted, or had a gun pressed to my head :))

Cross fingers!

The bottles are 1 liter.

For all ships except Pride of America

WBP6 6-pack (1-liter bottles) $22.95 USD 30%

WBP12 12-pack (1-liter bottles) $39.95 USD 39%

WBP18 18-pack (1-liter bottles) $49.95 USD 50%

WBP24 24-pack (1-liter bottles) $59.95 USD 55%

I suppose I should apologize for my error in figures. His salary wasn't tripled according to the Bloomberg release. See below. BTW It took less than one minute to find this information !!!

Cruise Lines Top paid CEOs salaries for 2015 | Crew Center

crew-center.com/cruise-lines-top-paid-ceos-salaries-2015‎CachedApr 13, 2016 ... According to Bloomberg the biggest compensation for 2015 was payed to the Norwegian cruise line CEO Frank J. Del Rio of staggering $31.9 million. This is quite enormous sum of money considering that in 2014 his compensation was only $2.1 million.

You and I are saying the same thing just using different terms. His salary is 1.85 million. The rest are incentive-based, so his total compensation was 32 mil. (stock 10 mil, options 17 mil and other incentives 1.9 mil) And yes, this is easy to find. He has not gotten a raise beyond a normal annual increase. (less than 10%, no where near triple)

Salary is not the same as total compensation and his salary has gone up very little...well, little relative to the total. If you see this from my prior post:

"he got paid a ton and literally I mean a ton of money last year." That was referring to the 32mil.

With NCLH stock prices diving deep to the bottom lately, despite infusion of institutional cash (as suggested) & upbeat analysts' "technical" numbers - CEO & company are going to have to do a lot better than peddling water onboard to boost net earnings.

Pissed-off/annoyed/frustrated/happy passengers unable or unwilling or uninterested are not going to form long lines on the ship to buy a 12 oz. highball glass filled with ice for a fountain soda at $3.84 ... or bottled water.

Who is to say at this point, whether this summer's Fire Sale with deals like $149 Pacific Coastal 4 nights for a repo are going to be enough with the captive audience to sell more items like real lemonade to compensate.

Something else is happening, engines backfired or what - blaming Europe & terrorism aren't going to help with the financial outlook, as NCL remained very firm & positive ahead on its previous calculations.

Let's see, maybe it is time to start charging for luggages taken onboard from everyone, perhaps - to help raise operating net. Thoughts :confused:

Let's see, maybe it is time to start charging for luggages taken onboard from everyone, perhaps - to help raise operating net. Thoughts :confused:

Don't I pay for that when the guy at the dock grabs my bags and I hope to see them in a couple oh hours.

BTW: I think we've decided on a Lifestraw filted plastic travel glass for our September cruise. Filters more than taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums