Assigned boarding times

Bonnie J.

I find this whole notion of early embarkation fascinating.

So you are "faster to the fun" by getting on the boat at 11:00 instead of 2:30. What does that really get you? You mean, you get to start buying overpriced beer early, while your buds on shore are enjoying a noontime meal with draft at happy hour prices?

In my experience, your luggage hasn't yet arrived at your cabin, there's generally mass confusion with so many newbies milling around the ship tying up the elevators and such, the only eats available are the garden variety buffet with 50,000 others in line with you. I just don't see the driver in this.

Am I missing something? Is there something really good that I am missing by not getting on the boat 5 hours before it moves?

I've boarded around 12:00 before (on a 4:00 sailing), and spent some relaxation time in Serenity with a cocktail, but I'd never pay an extra $50 or whatever to get there early.

Maybe I just don't get it. Enlighten me.

Edited by Cabron

I find this whole notion of early embarkation fascinating.

So you are "faster to the fun" by getting on the boat at 11:00 instead of 2:30. What does that really get you? You mean, you get to start buying overpriced beer early, while your buds on shore are enjoying a noontime meal with draft at happy hour prices?

In my experience, your luggage hasn't yet arrived at your cabin, there's generally mass confusion with so many newbies milling around the ship tying up the elevators and such, the only eats available are the garden variety buffet with 50,000 others in line with you. I just don't see the driver in this.

Am I missing something? Is there something really good that I am missing by not getting on the boat 5 hours before it moves?

I've boarded around 12:00 before (on a 4:00 sailing), and spent some relaxation time in Serenity with a cocktail, but I'd never pay an extra $50 or whatever to get there early.

My disclaimer - We don't pay for FTTF because DW is Platinum, but when others cruise with us we encourage it.

In the order they were asked, I'll give you my take on your questions.

So you are "faster to the fun" by getting on the boat at 11:00 instead of 2:30. What does that really get you?

From our perspective we get satisfaction and peace of mind. We like to get on board as soon as we can because that's what we like (to each his own). Being on board early gives us a chance to connect with those we are traveling with, relax and look around before the "safety drill", and just like eating ice cream, that makes us happy.

You mean, you get to start buying overpriced beer early, while your buds on shore are enjoying a noontime meal with draft at happy hour prices?

We are usually flying or driving some distance, and we don't care to go wandering around looking for "happy hour", so the $4 I would save on drinks (less the price of lunch, which I have found is usually substantially more expensive anywhere near the cruise port than the lunch I have already paid for on the ship) is really not that important to us (besides we buy cheers and it is all relative).

Sorry your experience with luggage has not been the same as ours. We have never waited on our luggage past the time it took us to drop off our carry-ons, grab a bite to eat and return to our room. As for newbies milling around, we have learned to not go to the "choke points" where they "mill around" by taking alternate routes where we want to go.

On the subject of getting food, we always head to the Mongolian Wok (unless there isn't one) because it is one of our favorites and usually the shortest line is when we get on early compared to any other time. Upon embarkation on our last cruise, in addition to the buffet, the Mongolian Wok, Guy's Burgers, the BlueIguana Cantina and the Pasta Bar were all open and serving (sorry all you could find was the "garden variety buffet").

I don't think you are missing anything, especially if you don't think you are. If it works for you, that's good.

If all we got for the $50 (or $60 depending on the length of the cruise) was early boarding, I probably would feel the same. But for us, and the people we travel with who have found occasion to use the other benefits, it is worth it.

I think you get it just fine, you don't care about getting on early so you don't want FTTF. But others do, again, to each his own.

Edited by Rod in Az

I think they should make the checkin times available after final payment due date. This way more ppl will have greater access to a variety of check in times.

How would waiting until final payment date give people access to more check-in times ? :confused:

Whether we choose them at booking, when we do our online check-in or after final payment, the choices would be the same.

How would waiting until final payment date give people access to more check-in times ? :confused:

Whether we choose them at booking, when we do our online check-in or after final payment, the choices would be the same.

Because many people who have chosen early check-in times will cancel, and those who had to choose a later time because early was already taken would have had a chance. Final payment is when people commit to the cruise and that's when they should be able to choose their time. EM

Your friends would not have been able to check in until 1:30 or 2:00. You would have had the option of waiting to check in with them, waiting in the terminal for them to check in or meet them onboard.

I guess I left out an important detail in my previous post - our friends were FTTF and not allowed to enter until their stated check-in time.

I am not understanding what you're saying. Are you saying your friends were denied entry with you even though they had FTTF? If that's the case, someone wasn't doing their job correctly. Documentation will clearly say to pick a time, but if you have FTTF or are priority you are free to come when you'd like.

That is correct - they were FTTF and denied boarding. When they mentioned it to the check in person, she apologized and made it up to them by letting them board with us (wife is diamond & I am Plat). so they were more than pleased. The port security person was obviously over-zealous in her job.

That is correct - they were FTTF and denied boarding. When they mentioned it to the check in person, she apologized and made it up to them by letting them board with us (wife is diamond & I am Plat). so they were more than pleased. The port security person was obviously over-zealous in her job.

Correction again - our FTTF friends were not denied boarding - they were denied entering the terminal until their check in time.

Because many people who have chosen early check-in times will cancel, and those who had to choose a later time because early was already taken would have had a chance. Final payment is when people commit to the cruise and that's when they should be able to choose their time. EM

You can change the time.... I would imagine that if someone that had chosen an early spot cancelled, that spot would open up and be available to others including those that had already chosen a later time.

I commit to the cruise when I book it and appreciate being able to pick my check-in time then.

IF our boarding pass actually had the FTTF logo on it there's no way I would accept being denied access. You'd bet there'd be a supervisor called and we'd be then allowed in. We went the end of January, and one mention of FTTF, and pointing it out and we were allowed access. The keeper of the gate wasn't the slightest bit confused and we got right it.

Not to sound mean, but why do people act so much like pansies sometimes and don't stand up for themselves? It didn't sound like they did or they wouldn't have been waiting. (for the record, you said "BOARDING" but we're still talking about "CHECKING IN" correct?

Can someone tell me where you select a check in time? I completed the online check in and didn't see it. I've even double checked! I'm sailing from Port Canaveral July 29th.

Edit: Disregard! Thought this was for all ports, but it looks like I'm not affected!

Edited by ohiokate

Can someone tell me where you select a check in time? I completed the online check in and didn't see it. I've even double checked! I'm sailing from Port Canaveral July 29th.

Edit: Disregard! Thought this was for all ports, but it looks like I'm not affected!

Affected makes it sound like it's a bad thing. Staggered check in is actually an awesome change that Carnival has adopted.

I'm wondering the same thing. I have FTTF for the 1st time in Jan.2017. I was hoping I could go earlier. I never selected a check in time but after I purchased FTTF my docs show 12:30 pm? If that's the time I have to check in, then it kind of defeats part of the reason I purchased it in the first place.

If you have FTTF, then you can enter the terminal whenever you want. The reason for requesting you to select a time is just so the terminal employees have an idea of how many are expected in the terminal at any given time. FTTF, Diamond & Platinum can enter the terminal whenever they get there regardless of whatever time they selected when asked.