What is something you pack that most people don't know to pack for a cruise?

CruiseMuch?

All sorts of OTC remedies and first-aid supplies. I've run through TONS of head-ache meds, antacids, sun-burn spray, polysporin and band-aids on cruises; much more than during an average week at home for some reason. The price of this stuff is stupid-high in the sundry shops and when you need something like this, you really need it.

This!!!! Advil, sunblock, SPF 30 chapstick, antacids. My little zip-loc bag of OTC items is a MUST. A little 6 tablet container of Advil was $12 on the ship!!!! :eek:

"Where and how do you plug that (nightlight) in?"

"I bring a credit card. It's small and compact, airlines don't charge me extra for carrying it, and it morphs into anything and everything I might need".

Nightlight.

You will find that most modern cruise ships have a hidden outlet in the bathroom for an electric razor. Ask your cabin steward to show you where it's hiding.

Credit Card.

Now we're talking! This person knows how to travel. I carry at least two because I book balcony cabins that are bigger (ha!).

When the cruise ends I give those [non personal] cabin goodies I might have bought to my cabin steward. If a need arises he can give any of those items to my cabins next guests should they need something they forgot to pack. Helps make your cabin steward a bigger star than he or she already is to his future passengers.

Some seasoned travelers that do [repeat] world cruises sometimes buy bicycles when going ashore (I know a few) for getting around in port cities they've visited before. They can be stored while at sea. Giving a bike to a crew member to use or share for use when they get some well earned shore leave after you've departed and gone home must feel good.

"I bring a credit card. It's small and compact, airlines don't charge me extra for carrying it, and it morphs into anything and everything I might need".

Nightlight.

You will find that most modern cruise ships have a hidden outlet in the bathroom for an electric razor. Ask your cabin steward to show you where it's hiding.

Credit Card.

Now we're talking! This person knows how to travel. I carry at least two because I book balcony cabins that are bigger (ha!).

When the cruise ends I give those [non personal] cabin goodies I might have bought to my cabin steward. If a need arises he can give any of those items to my cabins next guests should they need something they forgot to pack. Helps make your cabin steward a bigger star than he or she already is to his future passengers.

Some seasoned travelers that do [repeat] world cruises sometimes buy bicycles when going ashore (I know a few) for getting around in port cities they've visited before. They can be stored while at sea. Giving a bike to a crew member to use or share for use when they get some well earned shore leave after you've departed and gone home must feel good.

Yes, there is an outlet in the bathroom. In most cases, it's usually near the top right-hand corner of the mirror. However, this outlet is connected to the bathroom's light switch. When you turn off the light, you also turn off the outlet. We bring a battery powered tap light that we place on the bathroom counter. In an emergency, it could also double as a flashlight.

Yes, there is an outlet in the bathroom. In most cases, it's usually near the top right-hand corner of the mirror. However, this outlet is connected to the bathroom's light switch. When you turn off the light, you also turn off the outlet.

This information is really good to know! Thanks!

Great question! I know there are always lots of packing lists, but I find something new to consider every time. What is "extra" for one person is invaluable to another, so thanks for all of the ideas!

The things I will bring on this cruise that I did not on the first:

1. Scuba gear/wet bag (skip the fins if too much space, but for me the mask & snorkel is essential)
  2. A battery powered remote candle (perfect for a nightlight, and romantic evenings with the hubby on the balcony)
  3. Games (We love card games, so always take a few)
  4. Kindle (Perfect for all the books I need, and to check email)
  5. Wine (2 bottles per cabin...refer to "romantic evening on the balcony" item above)

Last trip we look the OTD shoe hanger and collapsible hamper, and will take them again. Anyone who says these items take too much space is packing wrong, because these folded flat into our suitcases and took up virtually no room. And I love the idea of a speaker, but think my iphone speaker will be more than enough for us on the balcony.

We each will carry on a backpack and a medium sized suitcase with wheels, and will do self-disembarking. Packing light -- it can be done! :D

Edited by widallas
Added and edited grammer

I always research whether or not there is a footstool on the balcony before I go. If not I bring an inflatable beach ball - $1.00 at Target. I blow it up about 3/4 of the way there you have it, a homemade footstool. Easy to pack and just toss in the garbage when the cruise ends.

They typically fit nicely under the chair so no danger of them blowing away if you aren't using them.

Everything people have mentioned are good if going on a cruise out of country. But if doing, say Alaska, Hawaii, West Coastal, then you can always get the first aid, cold stuff, etc. onboard or at port of call.

The two things that I have found over the years that I use 100% and appreciate are the heavy duty magnet clips (or Command) to put on the walls of the stateroom. We hang clothes, nite clothes, things to air or dry out, etc.

I also for Princess cruises bring the biggest clips I can find and hang two on the bottom of the shower curtain. No sticking to my body anymore!!!

Use my phone for my clock now. I just make sure it is on airplane mode!

Have still taken duct tape but luckily(?) have never had to use it!!!!!!

Pooh

the bluetooth speaker is a must for me. we hang out on our balcony a lot and like having tunes. at a respectful volume of course ;)

besides that, i always bring those towel clamps that stop your stuff from blowing away at the pool. so handy for being poolside! and we can dry our suits on our balcony with them securely clamped -no danger of flying away.

Nightlight.

Credit Card.

The outlet in the bathroom isn't hidden, it's for electric razors.....not to plug in nightlights to it and when the bathroom light is turned off so is the electricity to this particular outlet...note the sign on this outlet next time you're onboard ;)

I always NEED to bring an extension cord and duct tape.Since Ships do not have outlets on the headboard side of the room. My wife like many cruisers needs a C Pap machine.

Actually, you don't NEED to bring these items. Any cruise line's special services department will provide what is needed for a C Pap. That said, if you are hell bent on bringing your own stuff, replace the duct tape with gaffer tape (the black stuff that leaves no residue that duct tape does (opening you up to cleaning/repair charges for the damage it causes).

We bring a very small, battery op. LED dome light for the bathroom. Keep it in a sandwich bag and hang the bag with a magnet just inside the door. Gives off enough light without blinding you or waking up your mate.

Actually, you don't NEED to bring these items. Any cruise line's special services department will provide what is needed for a C Pap. That said, if you are hell bent on bringing your own stuff, replace the duct tape with gaffer tape (the black stuff that leaves no residue that duct tape does (opening you up to cleaning/repair charges for the damage it causes).

The extension cord they give you is about 1/4 in Dia. and i never had a problem with Duct tape.