How far is the Vancouver airport from cruise ship?

sashas_mom

Do you know how far the airport is from the cruise ship in Vancouver? If my flight arrives at 1 and the ship leaves at 5:30 is that enough time? Also, do you recommend we use the Princess transfer or get a cab? I have read about people being delayed with the transfers. Thanks.

sasha'smom

We used the airporter shuttle bus (http://www.yvrairporter.com). Their booth is located at both International and Domestic and the green bus is right outside.

It was $12 one way or $18 return. You can pay on the bus or at the booth. The bus goes to different hotels and stops at the Pan Pacific hotel which is at Canada Place (the port for cruiseships). You go through the hotel and take the elevator to the cruiseship floor and find a porter for your luggage.

When we returned to Vancouver, we only had to wait a few minutes outside the hotel for the scheduled bus and we were at the airport within 20 mins. The driver puts and takes off your luggage for you. There is a couple of routes so ask if it stops at the Pan Pacific.

Ideally, yes you have enough time, allow 45 mins for a cab, forget the cruiseline bus. BUT you do realize that this is cutting it very close, one delay with the airline AND they do happen frequently, you will be missing the ship. You have to allow time for airport customs, again I have been in significant lines and also gone right through. Just no way to predict. I suggest if possible you consider arriving a day early.

I would not consider the airporter bus with your limited timeframe, as I only recommend a cab direct to the port. Pack light so you don't need a porter.

Totally agree with Budget Queen, you're cutting it a little close. A flight delay, long lines to get through Canadian customs at the Vancouver airport, heavy traffic and you're missing the ship. Either take the earlier flight or fly in the day before and spend a day enjoying Vancouver before embarking the ship.

Thank you for your helpful advice.

Budget Qeen, since you are a "budget queen" do you have a suggestion as to where we could stay overnight that would be reasonable and convenient? Of course this question is open to anyone who would have a suggestion for me. Thanks again for your help.

sasha'smom

Are you leaving from Canada Place - most ships or Ballantyne - mostly RCL ships - Ballantyne is a lot less accessible than Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

We are going to be on the Coral Princess. Not sure which pier it is. Any suggestions for a hotel?

We just booked our pre-cruise night (May, 2006) via Hotwire. (Staying near YVR), will probably taxi to the cruise ship. According to online pricing, saved more than $30 per room for 3.5 star hotel, w/free shuttle from airport. Total cost per room was APP $77. I was happy with that,after seeing other posted prices!

We just booked our pre-cruise night (May, 2006) via Hotwire. (Staying near YVR), will probably taxi to the cruise ship. According to online pricing, saved more than $30 per room for 3.5 star hotel, w/free shuttle from airport. Total cost per room was APP $77. I was happy with that,after seeing other posted prices!

This is ok if you just want a bed and are late arriving, but poor if you want to tour Vancouver. If sightseeing Vancouver is on your list of things to do, stay downtown.

Budget Queen, I took your advice and booked a room for the day before. I am already sighing a sigh of relief from not having to stress the same day arrival.

I booked Hampton Inn & Suites downtown, who gave me a senior rate, complimentary breakfast and a free shuttle to the ship. I think that's a good deal, and it looks like a nice place (at least I hope it is).

Thanks for the help.

sasha'smom

Budget Queen' date=' I took your advice and booked a room for the day before. I am already sighing a sigh of relief from not having to stress the same day arrival.

I booked Hampton Inn & Suites downtown, who gave me a senior rate, complimentary breakfast and a free shuttle to the ship. I think that's a good deal, and it looks like a nice place (at least I hope it is).

Thanks for the help.

sasha'smom[/quote']

Great choice!!!!

budgetqueen,

That's great news. Thank you. Now the countdown begins. I'm so happy we have another cruise to look forward to. Where are you headed next? Seems like you travel quite a bit. I have noticed you are very knowledgable and I trust your judgement. Are you a travel agent, or just love traveling?

sasha'smom

Archived