Incan Empires cruise

Has anyone done this 28-night Incan Empires cruise, round trip San Diego? I'm in two minds, so would appreciate any input about what was thought to be the highlights. Thanks for your help.

We did this cruise in Nov. of 2014 when it was 31 days round trip from San Diego. The entire cruise was filled with amazing ports and excursions, but the best part was Peru, Salavery (trujillo) and incredible Incan/Moche Ruins and Lima Peru for 3 days. I hired a private guide (first time for me) told them what I wanted to see, and they put a 2 day itinerary together. We chose to stay in Lima rather than go to Machu Picchu (sorry if spelling is wrong). I also took the HAL Excursion flight to Tikal in Guatemala. I believe I wrote a review, and reviewed excursions for ports at the HAL web site under my cc name "Loreto."

It was a long time for be on the ship (too long, my DH said) but the chance to visit so many ports was a great experience.:)

Karen

Been on this cruise twice: first, the ships. Our first visit was on the Rotterdam. Simpy put, GREAT. Ship had tons of activities (crossing equator ceremonies etc). Second time (two years ago) on the Amsterdam. Big Blah. No ceremonies or anything. Kinda like a floating taxi.

Ports: were great. Well worth the visit. We stopped and visited an active archaeological dig. Saw ancient human bones being uncovered (got pix!).

Most folks we spoke with said to forget the Machu Pichu (SP) excursion as this was too pricey for so short a time. (no ROI).

Enjoy the trip if you take it and do report back.

Sorry, only did the one-way San Diego to BsAs cruise but it turned out to be one of the best cruises we ever took. This is not an over-developed, over-touristed chunk of real estate, so one felt they were having a far more "real" travel experience.

Yes, I also agree the more you learn about the other major civilizations in this area besides the more well-known and relativity recent Incas and Machu Pichu, the more this stunning area will reveal to you its depth of grandeur.

The "Great Courses" video series has several excellent offerings in Central and South American history art and culture. We watched them twice to get it all sorted out before leaving. Enhanced this trip immensely.

We did many of these places by cruise but not with HAL. I second the recommendation for The Great Courses for gaining background understanding of these cultures.

We did not go to Machu Picchu, the price for the two night excursion was more than a several day excursion by air and land from home and back, but those who did it had a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

In Lima I arranged a private tour through PatagoniaShorEx dot com and they set us up to see the sights we wanted to see in the Lima area - we were only there one day (the M.P. excursion took off from further north and met the ship in Lima). That company could do small groups up to full bus - we had a full bus and that was the most cost effective. They gave us more than arranged for! We wanted to see different sights than were offered by the ship tours, so this was exceptional, I highly recommend them. For later on our cruise one of our roll call members set up a tour with the same company in a different port, maybe even two ports, and the company was excellent in arranging with us, very responsive to our emails, had secure electronic payments, and offered refunds if we didn't make the ports.

Many ports in these areas are commercial and you will have to take shuttles to the terminals, not a big deal, usually paid for by your port charges.

Do you have any specific questions? Happy planning, m--

We did the 2014 31 day in November on the Statendam. Loved it so much that we are doing the 2017 February 30 day. There is one new port and so much to see that we are looking forward to doing this one again. There is a very active roll call for the 2017 on the Maasdam.

I have not done this trip and I'm quite jealous that you have the time away from work to be able to! Have a blast!

The reason I'm responding, however, is because I have been to Peru on a land based vacation and I must recommend that you see Machu Picchu unless the price is truly not affordable. It is an amazing one-in-lifetime experience and would be a shame to go all the way to Peru and miss it.

Others have stated that the excursion is too expensive but without a price being quoted I cannot confirm if that is true or not. Just keep in mind that going to Machu Picchu is not a cheap experience even when going alone without a ship excursion [i.e. If you just went to Peru on your own [sans cruise] and wanted to see Machu Picchu]. I'm talking hundreds of dollars per person even if you go with mediocre hotels and the cheapest trains. By the time you buy flights to and from Lima [which for "rich foreigners" {I heard Peruvians get much lower prices} can easily be $300-$400pp in coach], pay at least $100pp for the least expensive train [some trains are even more and honestly there is no other way...no buses, no cars, no roads even...to get to the citadel unless you hike for days on the Inca Trail and then you have to hire porters to carry your stuff, etc.], pay the entrance fees to MP [i forget the price but I think around $25pp or so], and get a hotel in Aguas Caliente [around $100-$150 per night for a TRULY mediocre place], and hire a guide at the site [another $30 or so], one could easily spend $650-$700pp and go much higher if you want a luxury experience. And this is planning it on your own without a tour company or group [which often makes the costs go even more]. When I went in 2014, I spent months planning the details and making reservations [hope you have at least a rudimentary understanding of Spanish before booking train tickets online...the English page on the Peruvian train website always has issues...as this is something that really needs to be done from home as they do sell out]. We had an amazing trip but honestly I would not go through the hassle of doing it on my own again. If the HAL excursion is less than $1000pp it should be seriously considered IMO.

Edited by Bostonjetset

I have not done this trip and I'm quite jealous that you have the time away from work to be able to! Have a blast!

The reason I'm responding, however, is because I have been to Peru on a land based vacation and I must recommend that you see Machu Picchu unless the price is truly not affordable. It is an amazing one-in-lifetime experience and would be a shame to go all the way to Peru and miss it.

Others have stated that the excursion is too expensive but without a price being quoted I cannot confirm if that is true or not. Just keep in mind that going to Machu Picchu is not a cheap experience even when going alone without a ship excursion [i.e. If you just went to Peru on your own [sans cruise] and wanted to see Machu Picchu]. I'm talking hundreds of dollars per person even if you go with mediocre hotels and the cheapest trains. By the time you buy flights to and from Lima [which for "rich foreigners" {I heard Peruvians get much lower prices} can easily be $300-$400pp in coach], pay at least $100pp for the least expensive train [some trains are even more and honestly there is no other way...no buses, no cars, no roads even...to get to the citadel unless you hike for days on the Inca Trail and then you have to hire porters to carry your stuff, etc.], pay the entrance fees to MP [i forget the price but I think around $25pp or so], and get a hotel in Aguas Caliente [around $100-$150 per night for a TRULY mediocre place], and hire a guide at the site [another $30 or so], one could easily spend $650-$700pp and go much higher if you want a luxury experience. And this is planning it on your own without a tour company or group [which often makes the costs go even more]. When I went in 2014, I spent months planning the details and making reservations [hope you have at least a rudimentary understanding of Spanish before booking train tickets online...the English page on the Peruvian train website always has issues...as this is something that really needs to be done from home as they do sell out]. We had an amazing trip but honestly I would not go through the hassle of doing it on my own again. If the HAL excursion is less than $1000pp it should be seriously considered IMO.

I believe the extension is quite a few thousand more per person than what you think at $1000 or less.... My friend once told me what their quote was. I think I did my two week Peru trip with Machu Picchu, Cuzco, Nazca lines, Ballestas islands, Lake Titticaca/reed islands for about the same price or less as a few days HAL extension!! And we had very nice accommodations, it was not budget string,

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

If I recall, the Hal price is way more than $1000 per person! I ended up doing an 8 day land trip to Peru including Lima,, Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu, Taking the Hiram Bingham train in 1st class staying up top at Machu Picchu at the Sanctuary Lodge ,domestic flights etc for not that much more than quickie Hal trip. I would only do this as a separate land trip

Peru is amazing!

Have done this twice and enjoyed the South American ports a lot. Lima, in spite of its bad reputation, was a great port with some excellent shorex. Manta was interesting intro to SA.

The Central American ports, which can be done on other HAL cruises, were OK, but nothing special.

Edited by SilvertoGold

We splurged on the luxury HAL offering to Machu Pichu and here is what they provided for several thousand dollars each. As stated earlier for the price you could probably do a separate land package from the US with airfare and have a far more leisurely pace. But if you think, this is your one time down this way it is worthy to consider. Though one does not need to take the luxury option - but we were feeling splurgy and glad in the long run we did it that way because it is a rough trip to complete in such a short time. The extra level of pampering was welcome.

Got off the ship early in Saliverry and missed all the sites there (sad) and flew to I believe ( Lima???) and then take a small plane to Cuzco - stayed in a luxury hotel in Cuzco that was a former monastery in town, but were quickly whisked off for sight-seeing leaving no real time on our own, dinner at the hotel.

Then up early for buffet breakfast at the hotel to catch the bus to the drive to the luxury Orient and Express Belmond train, with welcoming champagne and two light meals before arriving in Agua Caliente. Then a bus to Machu Pichu, arriving after the first morning train wave of visitors were leaving. So the crowds were down during our visiting time.

Plenty of time to be both guided and wander on our own on the site, and then off to tea at at the sole on site luxury hotel at Machu Pichu itself. Back down the hill by bus to the luxury train with a little time to shop in the tourist markets in Agua Caliente. Dinner on the train and an open Pisco Sour bar with music on the train trip back down the hill and then the bus back to the lovely hotel in Cuzco.

Leave in small plane back to Lima the next morning for a rushed city tour and then off to the ship to depart. It was a powerful adventure even at that pace and price and one does gets the full feeling of the place and the places in-between, particularly on the train ride up to Agua Caliente.

We were lucky to have perfect skies at Machu Pichu in the early afternoon even though it had rained in the morning for the other earlier groups. But that is a total gamble no matter how much one pays either.

Edited by OlsSalt

If I recall, the Hal price is way more than $1000 per person! I ended up doing an 8 day land trip to Peru including Lima,, Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu, Taking the Hiram Bingham train in 1st class staying up top at Machu Picchu at the Sanctuary Lodge ,domestic flights etc for not that much more than quickie Hal trip. I would only do this as a separate land trip

Peru is amazing!

We splurged on the luxury HAL offering to Machu Pichu and here is what they provided for several thousand dollars each. As stated earlier for the price you could probably do a separate land package from the US with airfare and have a far more leisurely pace. But if you think, this is your one time down this way it is worthy to consider. Though one does not need to take the luxury option - but we were feeling splurgy and glad in the long run we did it that way because it is a rough trip to complete in such a short time. The extra level of pampering was welcome.

Got off the ship early in Saliverry and missed all the sites there (sad) and flew to I believe ( Lima???) and then take a small plane to Cuzco - stayed in a luxury hotel in Cuzco that was a former monastery in town, but were quickly whisked off for sight-seeing leaving no real time on our own, dinner at the hotel.

Then up early for buffet breakfast at the hotel to catch the bus to the drive to the luxury Orient and Express Belmond train, with welcoming champagne and two light meals before arriving in Agua Caliente. Then a bus to Machu Pichu, arriving after the first morning train wave of visitors were leaving. So the crowds were down during our visiting time.

Plenty of time to be both guided and wander on our own on the site, and then off to tea at at the sole on site luxury hotel at Machu Pichu itself. Back down the hill by bus to the luxury train with a little time to shop in the tourist markets in Agua Caliente. Dinner on the train and an open Pisco Sour bar with music on the train trip back down the hill and then the bus back to the lovely hotel in Cuzco.

Leave in small plane back to Lima the next morning for a rushed city tour and then off to the ship to depart. It was a powerful adventure even at that pace and price and one does gets the full feeling of the place and the places in-between, particularly on the train ride up to Agua Caliente.

We were lucky to have perfect skies at Machu Pichu in the early afternoon even though it had rained in the morning for the other earlier groups. But that is a total gamble no matter how much one pays either.

Wow!! I did not realize it was SEVERAL THOUSAND for the HAL excursion. In that case I may have to eat my words and say it is not worth it for 2 days. Of course if HAL puts you up at the Belmond Sanctuary Lodge at MP which is actually on the mountain and costs upwards of $500/night...and you travel via the Hiram Bingham train which is about $750pp return it still may may be worth it for some people. Machu Picchu is remote and exhausting so if they [HAL] do the trip in pure 100% luxury I could see why some people pay the money.

It is a pity that with the HAL trip there is not more time in Cusco [lovely city] and no time in the Sacred Valley [Ollantaytambo was very cool] but if one knows they will never return to Peru it would really be a pity to miss MP. That is really the highlight of a trip to Peru even if there are many other lovely things to see there.

No, you only have afternoon tea at the Sanctuary Lodge on the luxury option, and it was pretty pedestrian.

But a nice place to wait out the connection to the bus to take you to the train to the bus to the hotel to the bus to the plane to the ship. :cool:

Edited by OlsSalt

Thank you to everyone for replying with such interesting info, which really goes a long way in helping to make our minds up. We want to do something special in 2018 to celebrate our 70th birthdays (can't believe I've put such a big number there!). We'd really like to do the 46 day (or whatever it is) Amazon, but it is a five figure sum plus airfares from UK so is really out of the question unless we win the Lottery. Ha ha. Half the fun is in the planning, so there's plenty to look forward to.

Just wanted to add a little fact. I went to our excursion information and it is $4,399 per person. You only get about four hours at Machu Picchu as most of the three days is spent on trains, planes and buses. Since that is more than the price of the cruise for an ocean view room we are not going to do it. There is so much to see in Lima that we know that we will not be missing anything by missing that excursion. Take the cruise and see so many wonderful sites and do Machu Picchu some other time or on a one way cruise, but we believe that South America is one of the best cruises.

Just wanted to add a little fact. I went to our excursion information and it is $4,399 per person. You only get about four hours at Machu Picchu as most of the three days is spent on trains, planes and buses. Since that is more than the price of the cruise for an ocean view room we are not going to do it. There is so much to see in Lima that we know that we will not be missing anything by missing that excursion. Take the cruise and see so many wonderful sites and do Machu Picchu some other time or on a one way cruise, but we believe that South America is one of the best cruises.

Wow. I agree with others that this is a ridiculous price. It's a shame to see what appears to be price gouging. Of course HAL is a business and should be expected to earn a profit on their excursions but this does seem excessive.

On another note, do check out the Museo Larco in Lima if you get the chance...it's a lovely museum.

Edited by Bostonjetset

I think Machu Picchu as a shore excursion is expensive on 2 fronts. First, it's a very high priced trip, and second, you pay for and miss several nice ports. I assume you're talking about the Maasdam here. Why not fly to Lima, visit Machu Picchu on your own, and return to San Diego on the Maasdam. (or sail first, visit Machu Picchu, and fly home)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

I think Machu Picchu as a shore excursion is expensive on 2 fronts. First, it's a very high priced trip, and second, you pay for and miss several nice ports. I assume you're talking about the Maasdam here. Why not fly to Lima, visit Machu Picchu on your own, and return to San Diego on the Maasdam. (or sail first, visit Machu Picchu, and fly home)

Roy

For the same price, this is a very worthy consideration. Or start the cruise after the Central America portion and do a more in-depth land-based tour of the SA historic civilizations area first (or last). That being said, we still do not regret the way we did this on our trip using the HAL luxury option excursion -- mainly because it created the most intense memories of them all. Every moment was precious.

Edited by OlsSalt

Has anyone done this 28-night Incan Empires cruise, round trip San Diego?

N0 - only a one-way from Miami to Valpariso.

I would also chime in on The Great Courses lectures on South America.

I would also suggest that you visit Chan Chan - you can Google it - it is pre-Inca but to my mind, as amazing as the Pyramids!

Going to Machu Picchu. We had a very expensive trip flying from Lima (missing visiting the city) and catching up with the ship at another port. Attitude sickness can be a problem and your MD could prescribe medication which you can take a couple of days before going to Cosco/Machu Picchu

I would say that missing MP would be akin to going to Great Britain for the first and last time and only visiting, say Dover, and never visiting London!

There is no "price-gouging". It is what HAL offers and anyone can take it or leave it. Or make their own plans.

Yes I am aware that in legal terminology, HAL is not price gouging for their excursion to MP; I used the term for dramatic effect and nothing else. That does not mean, however, that they are charging a fair price for their offering; perhaps knowing that they are at an advantage to charge whatever they want to their captive audience, many of whom may never have the chance, finances, or desires to return to Peru. MP is not an inexpensive trip regardless of how one gets there. However, it is not, IMO, a $9000 [for 2 people] jaunt either...even in the most luxurious accommodations and with 1st class travel. That is why I was so shocked to hear it cost that much; I never would've expected it. I don't begrudge anyone who has paid HAL this very large amount of money [everyone has the right to do and spend as they please and I'm happy to hear that many have enjoyed their HAL excursions to MP] but one must admit they are making a VERY healthy profit on this excursion.

N0 - only a one-way from Miami to Valpariso.

I would also chime in on The Great Courses lectures on South America.

I would also suggest that you visit Chan Chan - you can Google it - it is pre-Inca but to my mind, as amazing as the Pyramids!

Going to Machu Picchu. We had a very expensive trip flying from Lima (missing visiting the city) and catching up with the ship at another port. Attitude sickness can be a problem and your MD could prescribe medication which you can take a couple of days before going to Cosco/Machu Picchu

I would say that missing MP would be akin to going to Great Britain for the first and last time and only visiting, say Dover, and never visiting London!

I totally agree. Peru has many wonderful cities and things to see but Machu Picchu is truly the highlight [and clearly HAL knows this which is why they can charge and actually get almost $9000 per couple to take people there]. I hope the OP has a wonderful trip whatever they decide.

Those prices don't sound right. I looked it up for my Zaandam cruise. It only shows solo rates for my booking, $4,199 for deluxe and 3,199 for gold. I'm sure a couple would be less than double that. Still pricey but I don't think it's terribly out of line compared to what I paid as an add-on to my upper Amazon River cruise.

Roy

Those prices don't sound right. I looked it up for my Zaandam cruise. It only shows solo rates for my booking, $4,199 for deluxe and 3,199 for gold. I'm sure a couple would be less than double that. Still pricey but I don't think it's terribly out of line compared to what I paid as an add-on to my upper Amazon River cruise.

Roy

I am just quoting what is listed in the shore excursions offered by HAL for our Feb. 2017 cruise. It said $4,399 per person. I was going by what I had printed a couple of weeks ago. Today when I checked it does offer a lower level for silver level, for $2,999 and 2,499 if a couple. HAL is sometimes slow offering lower rates and to see if the high price ones fill up.

Edited by lindaler

I am just quoting what is listed in the shore excursions offered by HAL for our Feb. 2017 cruise. It said $4,399 per person. I was going by what I had printed a couple of weeks ago. Today when I checked it does offer a lower level for silver level, for $2,999 and 2,499 if a couple. HAL is sometimes slow offering lower rates and to see if the high price ones fill up.

I see the Belmond luxury train is $1000 RT on its own - that accounts for part of the cost difference. Hard to put a price on the value of being able to be at Machu Pichu itself after the morning crowds have left - the unique timing of the Belmond train option tour is part of the added-value "luxury".