Should MSC pull it’s French ports from itineraries?

Beamafar

In the aftermath of the horrendous events in Nice yesterday, should MSC ships stop visiting ports in France? After all, there were more people killed by terrorist attacks in France in the last year than in Turkey or Tunisia and visits to these countries have been cancelled.

Whether they should is one question, whether they will is quite another and, while I’m unsure of how I’d answer the former, I reckon the answer to the latter is: Probably not. The reasons I’ll leave to others to consider and opine on.

That argument didn't prevent cruise companies from cancelling visits to Tunis and Istanbul. Passenger safety was their concern. Surely, the same would apply here, or is France immune from these self-same concerns?

I lived and worked in London during the IRA bombings (I heard one bomb go off in Knightsbridge )and was also working in Notting Hill Gate 7/7 the day of all the tube and bus attacks. We have to get on with our everyday lives.

The bit I don't get is why the terrorists are damaging their own as in Turkey and Tunisia.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

By their own I don't mean terrorists. I mean that these 2 countries are Muslim countries and the bulk of the terrorists also say they are Muslims (supposedly).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have to think that MSC looks at the level of security each port of call can guarantee to keep its passengers reasonably safe while visiting there Bea. You would have to think that MSC, along with other cruise lines that have stopped calling on those ports, didn't feel their passengers would be secure while visiting those areas. I myself will continue to travel and would love to visit France one day,,I just know to be vigilant and avoid areas where large groups of people assemble.;)

It was reported earlier in the year that ISIS plans to attack cruise ships in the Med. I haven't cancelled my sailings so I agree that we can't let them win. However, going about your daily life is one thing, choosing to travel to countries which are being specifically targeted by terrorists, is another - and, yes, I KNOW there's no place that's 100% safe and risk-free, for those who like to point out the obvious!

I wonder if this latest atrocity will impact on future bookings of cruises which include French ports in their itineraries. That will be the deciding factor for the likes of MSC and others - their bottom line!! And, regardless of whether it should or shouldn't prevent us from travelling, most people are not going to choose holiday destinations where these attacks are taking place.

From memory Nice is not actually a port stop for cruise ships, we went there by train from Cannes, and also to Monaco from Cannes, I think ships will still call at French ports despite what has happened. I think it needs to be questioned how the killer was able to drive along that road having been parked up for some nine hours beforehand having told police he was delivering ice cream! Yet no one thought to check.

From memory Nice is not actually a port stop for cruise ships, we went there by train from Cannes, and also to Monaco from Cannes, I think ships will still call at French ports despite what has happened. I think it needs to be questioned how the killer was able to drive along that road having been parked up for some nine hours beforehand having told police he was delivering ice cream! Yet no one thought to check.

Villefranche is the port for Nice. I see RC's Navigator skipped the port today, but I'd imagine it's because of security measures in place as a result of the atrocity.

RIP and condolences to all those affected by this act of sheer depravity. There will be a lot of questions asked and a lot of them will remain unanswered. This has happened while France was in a state of emergency - Hollande had only just announced that he was stepping that down. I imagine there'll be a reversal of that, now.

Edited by Beamafar

Bea ... Not all cruise ships used Villafranche, our stops at Cannes were on Queen Victoria and Brilliance of the seas, no idea if they still use the same port now or not, Deilman ships ex RCI also used Villafranche recall seeing them on the train journey.

France is still very much safe. We cruised out of Marseille just 2 weeks ago and it was well protected. There was also a strong security presence in Paris. We should absolutely carry on. Perhaps the reason for pulling out of Tunisia and Turkey is due to the level of trust in the country's security services?

I wouldn't mind if they substituted their Marseille port for another country. I'm not on a Europe itinerary any time soon...but I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better. I will be looking at the developments closely as I plan to take another European cruise in 2019...ways to go, I know..but things aren't improving. Other destinations may be more appealing- cruiseships should avoid problem areas.

Marseille is a beautiful city and the gateway to Provence. There's nothing to be afraid of. We have to carry on - perhaps that's the stiff upper lip British personality in me?

It's also a very busy cruise terminal with passengers from France and further afield using it to get their cruise

Bea ... Not all cruise ships used Villafranche, our stops at Cannes were on Queen Victoria and Brilliance of the seas, no idea if they still use the same port now or not, Deilman ships ex RCI also used Villafranche recall seeing them on the train journey.

Yeah ......... you're right, Dave. I meant to say it's one of the ports for Nice. I'd just read about Navigator skipping Villefranche today and posted :rolleyes:

In the States there has been 7,366 gun crime murders so far in 2016 just to put things in perspective

I'm not planning on going to the US any time soon... gun crime, crazy christians holding banners saying god hates fags etc... sooner be in the south of France

Let's not have this thread descend into terrorist attacks vs shootings in the US as arguments to support one's position on where's the safest places to travel. The subject is about when cruise lines determine where it's safe to port and what the motivations are for their decisions.

Beamafar is right, its about where cruise lines decide to sail, not about the US violence vs the rest of the World. It is very sad that these things are happening but I am torn between being to visit where I want to and wanting to crawl in a corner and hide.

Like Nikki I grew up under the threat of terrorism, I live in the UK and we had a lot of bomb scares in the 60's and 70's. We had to learn to get on with our jobs and life and ignore what might be. I think it has innured us a little to threats, but I have thought a little more about taking my 6 grandchildren to EuroDisney again this year.

MSC picks up at every port it visits, it picks up a lot of French passengers, it is not going to stop calling into French ports.

I also do not think that the more up-market cruise lines who dock in Nice are going to stop doing so. Crystal, Regent, Azamara all dock there.

I have stayed in Nice many times as well as visiting for the day on cruises, my heart goes out to those welcoming lovely people.

The police got caught with there pants down, unfortunately.

Looks like the decision on Turkey was justified seeing as tonight there has been a military coup there according to the news.

........... attempted, Dave. I think it's failed. That region is getting more unstable by the day!