Pride of America - port or starboard - conflicting info?

misslyss1220

Hi everyone. We're in the beginning stages of planning a Hawaii cruise on the Pride of America. I did some reading and it seems that for a balcony room, you'd want the PORT side of the ship for the scenic cruising along the Na Pali coast (and the STARBOARD side for the Kilauea Volcano).

My question is this, about the Na Pali coast viewing specifically. On the NCL map (below), it shows the ship route with the PORT side going by the Na Pali coast first, then turning around so that the STARBOARD side views the coast, and it looks like it's even closer. So why am I seeing everyone suggesting the Port side? What's the deal? Why wouldn't we pick the Starboard side? What's the benefit of choosing the Port side if both sides get to see?

Thanks for any input! :)

7D_HI_Hon_Hon-041816-c.gif

Unless NCL is changing up the way they pass by Na Pali, the map is wrong. It is actually the reverse of what the map shows. The initial sail by is close up, viewed from the Port side. At the end of Na Pali, the ship heads straight out away from land, and then turns back down the coast with Starboard side viewing, but you are way out by then and the view is not optimum.

You definately want Port side for a good view. Or as another poster suggested, an aft facing which has views regardless of which way you are heading.

Good to know the map is wrong but wanted to share some other posts I've read...I haven't been on this cruise, but there are videos of the sail-away...It looks like a lot of fun to be up on the open deck...I've also heard being on deck 6 is generally far more relaxing...If you did that you might not even need a balcony room :)

Port side for NaPali is best....the first pass (Port side ) is closest and with the sun setting at its best for timing.

Chuck

I agree. And depending on the time of year, the second pass may be in the dark.

I have seen posts that said the lava is flowing again, and the POA is now going south around the big island, but that can change at any time.

We did this cruise in January in cabin 9050 and given the direction of travel, I'd say we were on the return pass. The views from our balcony were amazing as far as I can tell. It's not like you'll be miles out to sea and not able to see anything.

That year was also just after the Japanese earthquake/tsunami that they blamed for the volcano no erupting, so they didn't even do the sail by on the big island to see the volcano.

So, if you can switch your cabin mid-cruise, you should be all set ;-)

You can always go up to the higher (public) decks and walk back and forth to each side.

Regardless of which side you choose, you will have a blast, Hawaii is awesome!

Just went on poa last week. Starboard side was best for lava viewing. Port for Napali coast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums