Carnival wifi and Pokemon Go app...

mibarron

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone knew if the wifi on the ships will work with the new Pokemon Go app. My kids are addicted to this new game and they are hoping it will work when we sail on Sunshine next month. Their goal is to capture rare ones out at sea. I plan on getting the wifi package for them. I know, I know...this isn't the typical question you see on this board, but apparently, capturing Pokemon is a thing now. Who knew! Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There was another thread about this the other day.

There are no rare Pokemons available on the ship or at sea. (yet)

I will try to find the link for you to the other thread.

Hopefully it stays that way! People need to learn what it is like to disconnect for a cruise.

Hopefully it stays that way! People need to learn what it is like to disconnect for a cruise.

Why do people need to learn what it's like to disconnect for a cruise? Because that's what you do and is important to you? How would it affect you if that's not how they want to spend their vacation?

Exactly! Why do people care what others do? It's their vacation :eek:

A ship is a confined space filled with people of all ages. The day someone gets bowled over or someone chasing something goes overboard I think attitudes will change. The game does get people out from in front of their computers and off their couches. A time and place for everything.

That article's helpful!

I would be dubious that pokestops or gyms will become a thing, because they're tied to GPS coordinates. But absolutely catching pokemon in ports will be doable as it rolls out in other countries.

It doesn't appear that 'in the water' will get pokemon to spawn as a location (I've not tested this at sea, obviously, but it seems to hold true on the lake I live at) but fixed on-the-water locations are a thing- there's an oil rig off the california coast that has a gym translated from an Ingress portal, apparently.

People need to learn that it's not any of their business what other people do on vacation. To each his/her own.

My husband and I have a game that we play on our iPhones (The Simpsons Tapped Out), and we play it while on vacation. It's not like we play it all day. Trust me, we thoroughly enjoy disconnecting from our lives while on cruises. But in any case, it's our choice to do so, no one else's.

And if people want to play Pokemon Go on vacation, that's their choice. The nice thing about vacation is that sometimes you have more time to do stuff like this when you are not going to school or working, and it sure feels nice.

People need to learn that it's not any of their business what other people do on vacation. To each his/her own.

My husband and I have a game that we play on our iPhones (The Simpsons Tapped Out), and we play it while on vacation. It's not like we play it all day. Trust me, we thoroughly enjoy disconnecting from our lives while on cruises. But in any case, it's our choice to do so, no one else's.

And if people want to play Pokemon Go on vacation, that's their choice. The nice thing about vacation is that sometimes you have more time to do stuff like this when you are not going to school or working, and it sure feels nice.

A lot of games are played on ships, just as you do. Bridge, backgammon, chess, video games. To each his/her own. It won't be available on ships for awhile, and then the data usage will add upto be more than the cruise. If that's the way you relax, good on ya. My point is that this game leads to inattention of surroundings while having fun. 3 people have lost their lives so far, every morning theres a news report on people violating private property, here in Hawaii, sacred property. Entertainment and exercise is great. I just am glad this isn't going to be a big cruiseship activity cause I'd have to open some whoop as when someone runs down my 92yr old Mom who's trying to enjoy her cruise.

Sorry for the fuddy-duddies who think its their role to monitor how people spend their vacations. Clearly they have too much time on their hands. Some people play games on their phones/tablets/laptops, some people read books, some people stare at the water. Who cares??

My guess is that at least for now the game will work best while in port as it becomes more wide spread.

Edited by cruzeluver
spelling

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone knew if the wifi on the ships will work with the new Pokemon Go app. My kids are addicted to this new game and they are hoping it will work when we sail on Sunshine next month. Their goal is to capture rare ones out at sea. I plan on getting the wifi package for them. I know, I know...this isn't the typical question you see on this board, but apparently, capturing Pokemon is a thing now. Who knew! Thanks for your help!

As I mentioned in my review (posted earlier) I have no experience about cruising to compare ... but ... this is my experience: Although there was wifi on the ship we were on, it wasn't as strong as one would want ... and there are interruption (losing signals etc).

My reasoning to have internet was just to be in contact with my sister using whatsapp (parents are really old!). That's why I purchased the "middle" program. And, there was one other better program too, perhaps that would work better :)

Good luck with Pokemon Go :D

Here's the article that I was looking for:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7126

Thanks so much!! I couldn't find a thread through my phone!

I'm not concerned with what people think when it comes to how we vacation. If they want to waste their time watching us have fun, go for it!

As for Pokemon go. It's a great app that makes people go outside and walk around versus staying indoors in front of the TV or game consoles. My kids are outside for hours walking around the neighborhood with their friends. If they want to see if they can catch some while in the ship and at port, I'm all for it. It keeps them active and that's what matters.

I would just hope that folks play the game in a responsible manner! They need to be aware of their surroundings and not just be glued to the screen on their phones!!

Here in San Diego we have already had serious accidents where folks have fallen over cliffs by the ocean and wrecked their cars while playing the game!!!

My kids were playing it last week in Key West when we stopped there...what was great is usually the boys don't want me to shop but I was able to do so because they got to play their game at the same time.

Sorry but I didn't buy wifi package so don't know about on the ship

My kids were playing it last week in Key West when we stopped there...what was great is usually the boys don't want me to shop but I was able to do so because they got to play their game at the same time.

Sorry but I didn't buy wifi package so don't know about on the ship

HA! Bonus right there!! [emoji6] they'll be excited to try and capture some just for bragging rights I'm sure. Thanks!

Thanks so much!! I couldn't find a thread through my phone!

I'm not concerned with what people think when it comes to how we vacation. If they want to waste their time watching us have fun, go for it!

As for Pokemon go. It's a great app that makes people go outside and walk around versus staying indoors in front of the TV or game consoles. My kids are outside for hours walking around the neighborhood with their friends. If they want to see if they can catch some while in the ship and at port, I'm all for it. It keeps them active and that's what matters.

I agree! Pokemon Go has my son up and moving, not in front of the TV. My only thought is that the app uses a TON of data, so not sure how it is going to work on a ship's wifi. We haven't cruised Carnival yet, only Disney, and Disney's wifi was SLOOOOOOOW. My son is also thinking that there will be Pokemon in the Bahamas that he can't get here at home, so please fill us in when you get back.

I agree! Pokemon Go has my son up and moving, not in front of the TV. My only thought is that the app uses a TON of data, so not sure how it is going to work on a ship's wifi. We haven't cruised Carnival yet, only Disney, and Disney's wifi was SLOOOOOOOW. My son is also thinking that there will be Pokemon in the Bahamas that he can't get here at home, so please fill us in when you get back.

Absolutely!

Given the server issues they've had with it and how easily a slow network connection can kill the app, with the ship connection it may be more frustrating for them.

Wonder if they could put a bunch of eggs and incubators and use the ship movement as if they are walking. Could hatch tons of eggs on a ship!

(My daughter likes this game so that's how I know what I know...amazing seeing 100+ people at a local park doing this)

Download Ingress and you can use the Intel map to find all the spots in ports. I've been playing Ingress for years and have captured portals errr pokestops all over the world. FYI join Enlightened when you do [emoji1]

I would just hope that folks play the game in a responsible manner! They need to be aware of their surroundings and not just be glued to the screen on their phones!!

It's no different than anything else you do with your phone or ipad.