what is your idea of country club casual and business casual

MrsMoose2001

Hi, I am genuiney interested in hearing opinions on this question.

What do you consider country club causal or resort wear casual to be? I have read this past summer in InStyle that it means different things to different people and I happen to agree.

This is not just for cruising but in everyday life. Also what do you consider to be appropriate "causal friday work attire". I realize not everyone is in the same line of work, so if you are or had to work in a business environment, i.e., law firm, accounting firm, brokerage house, bank, etc etc, what would you consider appropriate.

Please this is only a fashion question, it's not meant to flame, instigate any flames or hurt anyone, it's just your personal opinion and your personal thoughts. It's not about dressing appropriately for dinner or vacation or cruise, it's just what you think it to be and what you would wear/like to wear. I seperate the two, because I would like to wear certain things, but don't think I look good in them or I can't afford the item so I don't.

For me (I don't work in an office) Friday casual would still be a tailored look, in conservative colors, sweaters, slacks. That is assuming the typical office wear is suits.

Country club casual is lighter fabrics, both in color and weight. The pants can be a fuller cut, the tops looser. Linen, cotton and silk come to mind. Slacks, skirts, dresses, even some shorts or capri length pants could be worn.

I think hair and jewelry come into play as well, the office isn't really the place for big, chunky pieces, but I love beaded bracelets and necklaces with a more casual outfit.

My office is Business Casual during the week, and Friday is casual. Standard for me during the week is either a skirt or slacks, dressy blouse or sweater and sometimes a blazer. I love high heels, so I will usually have on pumps, sandals or nice boots. Only occasionally, if a client is in do I wear a suit anymore. As for Friday, the casual around here is VERY casual. People are in jeans, sneakers and T-shirts. I won't do that though. The most casual I may get is a pair of dressy jeans (not faded or distressed looking), high-heeled shoes (boots, pumps or sandals) and a nice top or sweater, blouse and a blazer. Never wear t-shirts. (and this outfit would never be worn on a cruise as casual - no jeans on a cruise)

Country Club casual to me is closer to my Business casual. Slacks and a sweater or blouse and a blazer. Perhaps a nice leather loafer or kid-heeled shoe.

What do you consider country club causal or resort wear casual to be?

When I think of resort wear, I think of dressier sundresses, casual slacks with blouses or sweaters. Twinsets fit into this category as well as a nice tailor made skirt. Sneakers do not fit into this category for me. I would wear heels, sandals, flats, loafers or dressy boots.

Also what do you consider to be appropriate "causal friday work attire". I realize not everyone is in the same line of work, so if you are or had to work in a business environment..., what would you consider appropriate

I do not work in a business environment, so my work clothes are casual and comfortable. (I work with kids). But, If I did have to work in an office, on casual Fridays, I would wear nice slacks with a sweater or button down shirt; or jeans with a black turtleneck sweater with dressy heeled boots and some fun jewelry. It all depends on my mood. These are things that I usually wear when out running errands on the weekends.

I love the INStyle magazine and am always keeping an eye out for different trends that work in my lifestyle.

Mrs. Moose, you post the good questions for debate.

Business casual: well tailored khakis, opened necked shirts for men, with a blazer if needed, great loafers with good socks.

Women: Well cut pants in cotton, black or khakis, blouse or sweater set.

Country club casual: I think of Ralph Lauren styling.

Hi, just want to say I love all the replies, and also helps me when I judge what is CCC.

For me, personally I have to say it's a lot of stuff and depending on age, body type and the whole package, hair, jewelry etc.

I think for day capris, bermuda shorts, polos, nice tees blouses etc is good, also casual skirts, sun dresses is good. For dinner, I would say, twinset with long pants, a nice tunic/sweater/even a silk tee shirt with a jacket or nice sweater could work, or a nice blouse. Shoes, well whatever matches the outfit I guess, I only wear flats so various styles of flats.

A good example would be Ellen Tracy, Dana Buchman, Company Ellen Tracy, in the more casual stuff.

For business attire, I'm a housewife, but I did work, and I would say for an "office such as law, accounting, bank" etc, I would say, for men, khaki pants or cords (in winter), loafers, open collard shirt but with long sleeves, and a blazer/sport jacket or a nice say cashmere sweater with a collard shirt or a nice cotton sweater over a collared shirt. The key would be keep it conservative but casual. For ladies, long pants (neat jeans could be ok) or a knee length skirt and nice top/sweater/twinset.

For women never do I think cleaveage is appropriate nor do I think short skirts are appropriate. It's not about how good you look in them, it's just not "proper work attire", I'd rather see nice jeans and loafers with a nice blouse or tee shirt and a jacket/blazer/sweater, than a short skirt riding up the wazoo, and cleavage --that to me is just not business attire.

thank you for your replies, it's so nice to hear others opinions and as I said, I got some wonderful ideas as to CCC for hear at home too, not just for cruising.

Oh by all means go for the cleavage. I just meant in an office environoment. And with reason, if a woman dresses to "sexy" or whatever, and there is ever any cause to claim sexual harrassment, they can never bring up "her way of dressing". Besides just as there is appropriate attire for beach wear etc, that should apply to office attire.

And before anyone says anything, no a womans' clothes shouldn't matter but this is not a perfect world unfortunately. :(

But I can understand, I love to do cleavage myself, but never when I worked. But that's just me.

When I think of Country Club Casual I think of the expensive part of the department store with the some what conservative warm weather outfits,, maybe a tank or shell with a jacket? Kind of a nice fully lined, shell top, maybe in Linen. Sort of the expensive clothes that my aunt wears.

They don't really use this term on a cruise ship but I tend to wear what might be termed as "Evening" casual. Wide legged black pants with a colorful sweater set. Or those new brown pants I bought in September. Nice dressy pants, not the dockers kind, but more of the dress pants, I don't know what the fabric is called now, but I think in the 70's they called it gaberdine, but hit was made with heavier fibers back then. Anyway, those pants with camisole and sweater sets, or with a "puffy" blouse. Anyway, dressed up but maybe a little more trendy looking????

Country Club Casual - Men

Leave your tie at home for brunches, luncheons and casual dinners (before 7 p.m.); instead, go for a sport coat worn over a casual button-down shirt or golf shirt, paired with light cotton or gabardine trousers. You may even want to forget the sport coat as well.

Observe a stricter dress code for dinners or events after 7 p.m. A sport coat will almost certainly be required, but not a tie. Shirts should be dressier and slacks should be of heavier fabrics in darker colors.

Wear shoes appropriate to the time of year, time of day and occasion. Leather sandals and loafers are fine during the day, but dress shoes are best for evening events.

Men should always remove caps and hats when entering a room.

Country Club Casual - Women

Wear a casual dress, trousers or a skirt that is knee-length or longer for brunches, luncheons and casual dinners (before 7 p.m.). Light fabrics such as linen, silk, cotton and wool gabardine are best for day wear.

Observe a stricter dress code for dinners or events after 7 p.m. Wear dresses, slacks and skirts of dressier fabrics and colors appropriate for the season and time of day.

Choose accessories on the basis of practicality during the day. Carry a tote large enough to accommodate your needs for the day - suntan lotion, scarf, bottled water, compact, your day planner and a pocketbook. Scale evening accessories down to a simple handbag with room enough for lipstick, cash, keys, a cellular phone and other absolute necessities.

Keep jewelry to a minimum - a strand of pearls, pearl earrings or diamond studs are great for casual wear. Save your more imposing jewelry for formal affairs.

Wear shoes appropriate to the time of year, time of day and occasion. Leather sandals and loafers are acceptable for daytime events, while pumps and evening shoes are best for events after 7 p.m.

It's always a plus to have your accessories well coordinated, but the days of matching hat, bag and shoes are fast declining. Feel free to mix and match accessories as you see fit.

Wear sportswear-inspired pieces, but don't go overboard. Leave the sneakers, spandex and Lycra for the locker room.

Business Casual - Men

Business casual means different things at different companies. At a large corporation, it may mean a sport coat with a tie; at a smaller company, it may mean khakis and a polo shirt.

Select clean, pressed and wrinkle-free clothes.

Wear a collared shirt with an undershirt. You can break up the oxford shirt monotony by wearing a linen or flannel shirt or one with a band collar. Knitted shirts and polo shirts are also generally acceptable. A casual sport coat is appropriate.

Wear khakis, chinos, corduroys or other nondenim slacks.

Be sure to wear a belt, and have it match the color of your shoes.

Wear socks that match the color of your pants leave white socks or tube socks in your gym bag.

Choose oxfords, loafers, or rubber-soled leather shoes or boots for casual day. Wingtips are often too formal. Worn-out shoes, sandals or athletic shoes don't make the grade.

Casual days generally do not include the option of not shaving.

Business Casual - Women

Business casual means different things at different companies. At a large corporation, it may mean slacks or a business skirt; at a smaller company, it may mean a cotton sweater and a floral skirt.

Select clean, wrinkle-free clothes.

Wear a good-quality blouse or knit shirt. Include a casual blazer or cardigan if appropriate.

Don pressed khakis or other slacks, or a dress or skirt. If a dress is sleeveless, wear a blazer or cardigan over it.

Wear shoes that are comfortable and appropriate for your outfit. Funky platform athletic shoes or strappy sandals might be formal enough for some; however, it's more typical to wear closed-toed leather shoes. Avoid worn-out shoes.

Keep the makeup light. Let your natural beauty shine through.

Accessorize with a silk scarf or classic bracelet to give your casual outfit a polished look.

Business casual attire is more formal than weekend wear. Faded T-shirts, shorts, torn clothing and risqué attire are not appropriate.

Country club casual -- Khaki pants or shorts and polo shirts for men; sundresses or nice shorts/skirts for women; everything should be in good condition, ironed if necessary -- casual never means sloppy. All items should be appropriate for the wearer's age and body.

Resort casual -- Same type thing, but with a warm-weather, tropical twist: perhaps khaki shorts with a Hawaiian shirt instead of the polo for men; for women, the same nice shorts but with a camisole top and a Hawaiian shirt (worn unbuttoned). Chunkier jewlery is nice, and sunglasses are a necessary accessory.

Casual Friday work attire -- khakis or twill pants, sweater or polo; I agree that cleavage does not belong in the workplace (too bad for me since that's my strong point). I'm a teacher, so our casual Friday attire is well-defined: school spirit wear! We all have polos and long-sleeved twill shirts embroidered with the school name and mascot.

I think short-shorts DO have their place; however, that place is the gym or the athletic field.

Hi,:) My office doesn't have "country club" or "resort" dress codes.

We are very casual as we don't deal with the retail public. But we

do have a dress code.....no jeans. But most anything else goes.

And being in Florida, in the summertime I wear lots of skirts (cooler

for me) and lightweight dresses...and yes slacks too.

We can "dress up" if we want to......most don't choose to though.

Example, today I am in a pair of black moleskin slacks and my top is

denim....long sleeves..snaps in front...with black velvet collar and cuffs

and on the breast pockets.

The snaps are silver. And my shoes are black mules? Closed toe

open back...that is a mule right?;)

I wear dresses, pants, skirts,.....just depends on my mood. I don't

consider my wardrobe classified under the styles listed on this thread.

I try to look nice.

In the dead of summer here it gets very humid. I am in sandals most

every day.

Hi Lois, sounds like a really nice outfit, I like the sound of the blouse, and to be honest, that would be CCC at the local yacht club.

That's why I asked the question, I see differences in what people think and I love to hear them all and I also got some great ideas/suggestions and even a new terminology.

Thanks, I'm not sure how'd I'd classify my stuff either, in the summer, I'd probably say I look "sloppy" in the day, a pair of capris and a tee shirt during the day as I don't do well in heat and go from one a/c to another. Sometimes a skirt and a tee for the day but for some reason, in the summer I always feel I look "sloopy and wrinkled", lol. When it's humid and in the 80 or 90s and I have to leave my a/c and I'm in the middle of a hot flash, I honestly don't even care, lol.

MrsMoose, hi:) the shirt I described....I doubt it would be CCC at

the Yacht Club;) The denim is sort of faded.....it is an old top actually

but I love it anyway. It has a shirt tail too....It is more of shirt/jacket

rather than a blouse. But thanks for the compliment. I could wear a

short sleeved top under it and leave it open but today I chose to

wear it as a shirt on its own.

Sloppy? You are talking to sloppy right here. I have lived on my own

for many, many years and in the summertime I am in shorts and t-s...

and thank goodness in my own home and can wear that t-shirt

without a bra;) In the winter time....sweat pants and long sleeved

henleys or sweat shirts.

Now I do know how to dress if I am going out..LOL but at home

I am sooooooo low maintenance!

Hi Lois, you'd be surprised as to what passed as CCC here at the yacht club. I'm no longer a member but when I was, I was even surprised as my DH and I got such a lecture at the "interview meeting" about clothing, if people wanted to wear shorts for dinner, they let them and jeans and sneakers so I won't even go there. It is considered the best yacht club in Montreal and I'm sure the real old timers didn't like it but if the club wanted to survive they had no choice. They were so desperate for members when we joined that they gave huge discounts for the new members. You have to remember that for some of the old timers they remember "white club service" with a guy at the entrance gate shopping people. At one time there was a 2 year waiting list minimum and you needed sponsors, you could not just walk up and join. Now, they almost beg you, times change.

Ok, off track, I know the type of denim shirt you mean, I have one myself, I saw a few of them on my cruise in the dining room on top of t-shirts worn with kakhi pants. Yes, in the formal dining room at dinner, I love the velvet on it.

I don't buy linen if I can avoid it, put it on and I look wrinkled and even more sloppy. I think the heat gets to me and I just would look sloppy in a designer evening gown as I look tired and my hair becomes a mess and well I just look wilted in the heat regardless of what I wear.

Sloppy, at home, I won't even go there, I wear a long sleep tee or pjs when I'm home, I never wear street clothes at home unless we have guests. I'm with you on that, no bra and I just want to be comfy. Besides, I never would cook in street clothes with the risk of getting them stained and ruined. I know what your weather can be like, I spent 18 months in New Orleans.

It's part and parcel where you live and the circumstances in which you were raised. To me business casual is just not possible. While workplaces are trending toward a more casual approach I have found, as a woman who spent much of her career training in Law Firms that business casual was still pretty dressy, and more dressed up than the lawyers I taught (I was more casual when I trained assistants because it was a different feel in the classroom). Business casual to me meant a sweater instead of a jacket. The one time I wore khakis and a more casual, but still very nice top, my boss was contacted and was told I was too casual. When you train there really is no "casual".

Resort or Country Club casual is a nice polo shirt and khakis for men or even a jacket and a collarless shirt. For me it means a skirt for day or very nice capris and slacks or a simple dress for evening. I am always at home and never feel out of place dressed like that. Jeans do not figure into this for me.

Linen. I must agree with MrsMoose there. I always feel unkempt in linen. Sloppy at home? Oh ugh. I look a fright most days. My kids see me take off the sweats and ask me where I am going? :)

Boy I just saw my typos, my mind is elsewhere today.

I wanted to say, that the the yacht club old timers were used to white glove service with a guy at the gate stopping people.

Nlidel, I fully understand what you mean. Hubby works for a very old, very conservative stock brokerage house. This means suit and tie, casual fridays did not allow jeans. Some people I guess took advantage of casual fridays and a "dress code for casual fridays was issued". They've recently removed the casual friday all year and now only have casual fridays in the summer months. They say there is a trend going away from casual fridays.

When I asked DH to do the denim day at work for breast cancer (being a survivor and I don't work I asked him to do it), the company gave permission no problem, but wearing jeans was in question, a lot of ladies wrote memos saying it was for a good cause and in the spirit of things and that many companies who did not allow jeans allowed them for denim day so they got permission for the jeans. DH wears a denim looking shirt as he didn't have jeans until recently for the trip to Alaska, and even then he doesn't like them for some reason, he prefers kahki pants.

Archived