Boarding time

Khloella

Sadly, they didn't make it in time. They are going to try to get on at that the first port. I really appreciate the help I received! The ship tried to wait as long as they could, but they missed it by 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP you were stressed looking for information. You didn't ask the question you wanted answered then you lashed out at the person who answered your actual question. You should apologize to that poster, here.

Edited by Nola26

Sadly, they didn't make it in time. They are going to try to get on at that the first port. I really appreciate the help I received! The ship tried to wait as long as they could, but they missed it by 10 minutes.

A little surprised the ship didn't wait 10 minutes IF they new they were on their way......maybe not.

Sorry to hear that they didn't make it today... it sounds like they were trying to catch the Norwegian Pearl which leaves at 4:00pm out of Seattle. Hopefully they are able to catch her in Juneau, Alaska on Tuesday!

Edited by johnt83

OP you were stressed looking for information. You didn't ask the question you wanted answered then you lashed out at the person who answered your actual question. You should apologize to that poster, here.

The person who I lashed out at did not actually answer my question. There were several other extremely helpful people who I thanked. He was rude to me when I explained that the information he gave wasn't what I needed and why and what I did need to know. He seemed to be very offended that it wasn't helpful which really doesn't make any sense.

A little surprised the ship didn't wait 10 minutes IF they new they were on their way......maybe not.

Yeah, it was pretty upsetting, but understandable. I think they did wait a little from what I understand.

Sorry to hear that they didn't make it today... it sounds like they were trying to catch the Norwegian Pearl which leaves at 4:00pm out of Seattle. Hopefully they are able to catch her in Juneau, Alaska on Tuesday!

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=SEA;t=JNU;d=2016-07-17;r=2016-08-11;tt=o;q=flights+seattle+to+juneau

$500+ pp

Rooms available in Juneau... $169

https://prospectorhotel.com

Taxi at Juneau Airport... to town, what $40 maybe?

So, what... around a $1500 - $2500 screw up?

http://www.juneau.org/airport/transportation.php

Edited by triptolemus

I've already googled and found this information, so this is not helpful. I wanted to know what time the ship sailed. They are not sure the time because they planned to be there much earlier than this. I would really appreciate it if anyone is able to give me a time that it sails or has personal experience with arriving so late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

That was not your original question you posted on the board. You asked the latest time one could board a ship out of Seattle and that question was answered. Had your original post been worded differently you might have gotten that question answered, but you weren't clear and you've blamed that on the person responding. The first nasty stroke came from you, own it, apologize. You were stressed and lashed out, understandable but not acceptable, you're bigger than that, clean up your mess.

Hopefully they are able to catch her in Juneau, Alaska on Tuesday!

Would that even work? I thought that would then violate the PVSA by providing transit between two US ports (Juneau and Seattle) on a foreign flagged vessel.

I've already googled and found this information, so this is not helpful. I wanted to know what time the ship sailed. They are not sure the time because they planned to be there much earlier than this. I would really appreciate it if anyone is able to give me a time that it sails or has personal experience with arriving so late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

That was not your original question you posted on the board. You asked the latest time one could board a ship out of Seattle and that question was answered. Had your original post been worded differently you might have gotten that question answered, but you weren't clear and you've blamed that on the person responding. The first nasty stroke came from you, own it, apologize. You were stressed and lashed out, understandable but not acceptable, you're bigger than that, clean up your mess.

Maybe that is the issue with this whole thread? I didn't mean this to be rude at all. I was just saying it wasn't helpful and why and clarified what I did need need to know. I was shocked when I got a very rude response. I admit that I may have been short with my answer because we were rushing trying to figure out a solution for my MIL, but I don't really see how this was rude. Maybe it's one of those things where tone doesn't come through over text and it came across very differently than intended.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=SEA;t=JNU;d=2016-07-17;r=2016-08-11;tt=o;q=flights+seattle+to+juneau

$500+ pp

Rooms available in Juneau... $169

https://prospectorhotel.com

Taxi at Juneau Airport... to town, what $40 maybe?

So, what... around a $1500 - $2500 screw up?

http://www.juneau.org/airport/transportation.php

Well, it's not their screw up really, it's the airline that got them delayed. They were coming into town yesterday which is the right thing to do (always the day before the cruise).

Well, it's not their screw up really, it's the airline that got them delayed. They were coming into town yesterday which is the right thing to do (always the day before the cruise).

Well, I didn't say it was their screw up, did I?

Well, I didn't say it was their screw up, did I?

Yup you didn't. Hopefully the airline can offer them something for their delays... not sure if they can or will but just a tough situation to be in.

Edited by johnt83

The airline told them to save their receipts, so I'm pretty sure the airline is going to pay for everything. I feel so bad for them! They're exhausted after traveling for 36 hours and they have no idea where their luggage is.

Would that even work? I thought that would then violate the PVSA by providing transit between two US ports (Juneau and Seattle) on a foreign flagged vessel.

Oh good point! I hope they can! I'll bring it to their attention.

ETA: my MIL said Norwegien said they can get on in Juneau.

Edited by Khloella

Oh good point! I hope they can! I'll bring it to their attention.

ETA: my MIL said Norwegien said they can get on in Juneau.

The final port is in Canada, so they should be OK. Or, at least as OK as you can be having to join your ship at the first port of call.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by xriva

The final port is in Canada, so they should be OK. Or, at least as OK as you can be having to join your ship at the first port of call.

Is it? I don't know the ship's itinerary for certain, but I thought I saw that the Pearl's sailings from Seattle were round-trip.

Maybe that is the issue with this whole thread? I didn't mean this to be rude at all. I was just saying it wasn't helpful and why and clarified what I did need need to know. I was shocked when I got a very rude response. I admit that I may have been short with my answer because we were rushing trying to figure out a solution for my MIL, but I don't really see how this was rude. Maybe it's one of those things where tone doesn't come through over text and it came across very differently than intended.

That was my point. You were stressed. You asked a question that was answered. Then you called people unhelpful for answering the question you asked rather than the question you intended to ask. Then you got angry and rude to someone expressing his frustration that you were calling people unhelpful for answering the question you asked.

It's true that you clarified your question, but you did it in the same post that you called the people who answered your original question unhelpful.

You are right that tone may have been the issue, and it's hard enough to always know how our tone will be read when we aren't stressed. But a tone of "Oh, I guess I should have said" rather than "that's not helpful" would have read much nicer and not have started a distracting argument.

That was my point. You were stressed. You asked a question that was answered. Then you called people unhelpful for answering the question you asked rather than the question you intended to ask. Then you got angry and rude to someone expressing his frustration that you were calling people unhelpful for answering the question you asked.

It's true that you clarified your question, but you did it in the same post that you called the people who answered your original question unhelpful.

You are right that tone may have been the issue, and it's hard enough to always know how our tone will be read when we aren't stressed. But a tone of "Oh, I guess I should have said" rather than "that's not helpful" would have read much nicer and not have started a distracting argument.

I can see that point. I wasn't aware that saying something didn't help me was a rude comment. It sure wasn't intended that way. From my perspective, it seemed like a huge overreaction and was really unkind to be treated with such sarcasm.

Is it? I don't know the ship's itinerary for certain, but I thought I saw that the Pearl's sailings from Seattle were round-trip.

They are RT Seattle, but she stops in Victoria, BC the last day, so that's the non-US port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Maybe if you'd preceded your comment with "thank you"?

They are RT Seattle, but she stops in Victoria, BC the last day, so that's the non-US port.

That's not sufficient to satisfy the PVSA, however. A stop at a non-US port allows a foreign-flagged vessel to carry passengers round-trip from one US port back to the same US port.

Boarding at one US port and disembarking at a different US port is only permitted if one of these conditions is true:

• The vessel stops at a "distant foreign port" on the way. In North America, this consists only of the "ABC islands" (Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao).
  • The starting or ending port is in Puerto Rico.

In accordance with this law, cruise lines that operate foreign-flagged vessels are fined $300 for each passenger who boarded such a vessel in one U.S. port and left the vessel at another port. The cruise lines typically pass this cost on the passengers who "jump the ship". Exemptions are available in the case of family emergencies etc.

The OP indicated they "missed it by 10 minutes" but it looks like the ship left right at 4pm local time...... so, did they really call the ship?

The airline told them to save their receipts, so I'm pretty sure the airline is going to pay for everything. I feel so bad for them! They're exhausted after traveling for 36 hours and they have no idea where their luggage is.

I fly A LOT...I don't think I would assume that at all. What caused the original delay/cancellation to begin with? It's strange they couldn't get them in sooner than 230 if it was truly their fault. Being on Pacific Time, I can't imagine anywhere they were coming from in Continental US that they could not have arrived spooner.