Zaandam, just returned from Amazing Alaska!

torybruno

OMG!!!

Just back from the most amazing vacation. Truth be known... Alaska was not even on my top 10 destinations to visit, and I already want to go back!!!

I will try and write a review in the next few days, but would be happy to answer questions as everyone was such a help to me in planning.

Our excursions were a MICA 3 hour glacier trek, Denali for 3 days, Glacier Bay, Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Haines, whale watching with Harv & Marv in Juneau, and Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast in Ketchikan.

Blessed with beautiful weather, and memories for a lifetime.

Alaska was not even on my top 10 destinations to visit
I see this on CC so often and heard it from my wife when we went. I have been to Anchorage several times for work and kept trying to convince her but she thought it was all rocks and ice. After we were home she could not stop raving about how beautiful and green it was. She is super excited for going back on Amsterdam next year. Edited by Sequim88

torybruno,

Did you make your own arrangements to do Denali or use the cruise tour? We are thinking about a return trip to Alaska after 14 years, but want to include Denali this time. Thinking about doing it ourselves.

We rented a car in anchorage for two days and stayed one night at majestic lodge and did the three hour glacier trek with MICA guides. Highlight of our trip. After returning rental, we did the one night anchorage and 3 nights Denali with HAL.

Rick and Janie - if you go back to Alaska, I highly recommend doing Denali on your own. Give yourself a minimum of three nights there, more if you can. We went on a land/sea tour last year and if we go again, it will be flying into Anchorage and renting a car. We arrived in Denali in the evening, went to the dinner theatre - fun but nothing to rave about - but it was dinner taken care of our first night there. The next day was our TWT which was fabulous. We got back in time to hop another bus to see the dog demonstrations in the park. The second day there we did a helicopter ride and then went hiking on the Savage river trail in the afternoon. So depending on what you want to do in the park, you can do at least two very different things every day.

OMG!!!

Just back from the most amazing vacation. Truth be known... Alaska was not even on my top 10 destinations to visit, and I already want to go back!!!

I will try and write a review in the next few days, but would be happy to answer questions as everyone was such a help to me in planning.

Our excursions were a MICA 3 hour glacier trek, Denali for 3 days, Glacier Bay, Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Haines, whale watching with Harv & Marv in Juneau, and Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast in Ketchikan.

Blessed with beautiful weather, and memories for a lifetime.

Would be very interested in hearing about your glacier point wilderness safari in haines as will be boarding the same ship on the 21 of aug and still don't have an idea of what to do in Haines. Thanks

Would be very interested in hearing about your glacier point wilderness safari in haines as will be boarding the same ship on the 21 of aug and still don't have an idea of what to do in Haines. Thanks

This is the company that operates the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari: https://www.alaskaexcursions.com/glacier-safari-2/ The excursion out of Haines is about an hour shorter than out of Skagway - due to the shorter boat ride. The Trip Advisor reviews of the Davidson Glacier (where the excursion goes) are excellent: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60877-d269803-Reviews-Davidson_Glacier-Skagway_Alaska.html

I'll be in both Haines and Skagway next May, and I plan to do this excursion in one of those ports. :)

Favorite excursion we booked through the ship. Maybe a 20-30 minute mild boat ride to a beautiful picnic area (bring an energy bar and skip their turkey sandwich "snack"). Followed by a 5 mile bus ride, on a back trail, a 10 minute easy hike, and finally to a 20 person canoe and paddle a few minutes and then motor to a glacier. We were permitted to get out of the canoe and walk about a half mile right to the face of the glacier. For safety, we were about 30 feet from it. On the side he was letting people go up to it as one of the teenagers wanted to break a piece off and eat it. I wish I knew how to post a picture, it was amazing. Pricy excursion, but worth it. Of course it helped it was beautiful weather, my husband was standing next to a glacier in a t-shirt!

After we returned, we took the free shuttle at the end of the dock and had it drop us off near the brewery. Enjoyed a cold brew on their picnic tables in the back, and walked back to the ship along the street next to the shore.

Have a great trip!

I see this on CC so often and heard it from my wife when we went. I have been to Anchorage several times for work and kept trying to convince her but she thought it was all rocks and ice. After we were home she could not stop raving about how beautiful and green it was. She is super excited for going back on Amsterdam next year.

We are going on Amsterdam to AK next year too. (14 nights, I'm so excited!)

Glad you loved Alaska!! We have gone 5 times! How was the crab feast?? Been wanting to try that for years.

It was good... My husband really got his money worth with the all you can eat. Best blueberry cheesecake I've ever had. Boat ride was good, you see an eagle and nest, and see the crab pots pulled up. Here's a tip... Don't start dozing off from that full tummy and soft engine noise and rocking of the boat, or you'll be the one hauling up the crab net. Trust me!