Venice question

Edmontontraveller

I am looking at doing Venice myself - I am not normally a do it yourself kind of person.

I have been looking online and they have 2 hour grand canal tours and I am wondering how that would differ from the hop on/hop off. Can anyone give me a recommendation or insight?

I am wanting to do that PLUS a gondola ride - just to have the experience.

Not sure about a HoHo....

There was something similar called Vaporetto dell'Arte which we liked but did not get enough custom, and it was not very frequent.

The public waterbus/Vaporetto service run by ACTV offer 24/48/72hr tickets which can be used like a Hoho to do your own thing. They are busy, frequent and routes are everywhere and include Murano and Burano if you wish to go there too.

Alilaguna offer a more limited network but may be an alternative from airport to city to port etc.

Gondolas are easy to find. The price is high, the tour duration is variable so agree in advance. They can seat 2 - 4 in comfort, 6 in discomfort. But it is memorable.

Edited by helpthejuggler

I am looking at doing Venice myself - I am not normally a do it yourself kind of person.

I have been looking online and they have 2 hour grand canal tours and I am wondering how that would differ from the hop on/hop off. Can anyone give me a recommendation or insight?

I am wanting to do that PLUS a gondola ride - just to have the experience.

hi: Venice is easy on your own! Check Rick Steves and Tom's Port Guide for details. You can layout a plan to fill your time to your best advantage ie Churches, Museums and the sights around San Marco. You can buy passes in advance which allow you into the desired venues. Gondola rides are more expensive in the evening and side alleys are more enjoyable. If you choose to see Murano and Burano, you can access them via a vaporetto on your own or choose a tour our of San Marco. Venice is beautiful at night.

You will love your experience ENJOY!

Dave

We did a topa boat tour -- see link below. It's one guy with a boat and you have it to yourself. We loved it. It's not glamorous like a gondola or geared toward the big public areas but you travel through the entire island. If you need a constant narrative explaining everything you're seeing, this isn't quite it either. It's just about the experience of navigating Venice like a local. Gianluca takes a day or two to respond to email but he's great.

http://www.vivivenezia.org/vivivenezia.org/Home.html

Edited by Regguy

if you have the time, buy a one-day vaporetto pass, then use the free Rick Steves audio guide, and you'll have your own hoho tour ! With the pass you can visit other islands as well as many stops within Venice without having to pay 7/8e per segment.

I've seen this tour positively reviewed by travelers on the venice forum of tripadvisor: http://www.italy.artviva.com/tours/22/venice_tour_my_prestigious_the_original_grand_canal_tour_artviva

We were in Venice July 8 & 9. Yes, there is a hop on hop off boat. I saw the brochure but we didn't use it. The loop went out to Murano so it was long time wise. We did lots of walking and had a 24 hour vaporato pass. Be prepared for CROWDS. We waited til about 8:30-9:00 PM to try to do the Grand Canal. It was wall to wall people; not a pleasant experience at all. We bailed and turned around part way down to go back to our hotel. One thing I would highly recommend, the Doge Palace Hidden Treasure tour. It is offered once a day and has a limit of ten people so you need to purchase the tickets ahead. Once you are done with the tour you can go through the Doge Palace on your own.

We were in Venice July 8 & 9. Yes, there is a hop on hop off boat. I saw the brochure but we didn't use it. The loop went out to Murano so it was long time wise. We did lots of walking and had a 24 hour vaporato pass. Be prepared for CROWDS. We waited til about 8:30-9:00 PM to try to do the Grand Canal. It was wall to wall people; not a pleasant experience at all. We bailed and turned around part way down to go back to our hotel. One thing I would highly recommend, the Doge Palace Hidden Treasure tour. It is offered once a day and has a limit of ten people so you need to purchase the tickets ahead. Once you are done with the tour you can go through the Doge Palace on your own.

Hi...How is the doge hidden treasure tour different from the secrets tour there? How did you decide which to do?

Thanks

Hi! No matter how many pictures you have seen of Venice, you will be in awe! Happens every time I go there and I've been there over 8 times! You must walk and take the vapourer to to experience Venice! Venice at night is magical ! Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did the hidden treasures because the secrets tour were filled. We did a tour because it only costs a euro or two to add to the ticket. I couldn't find much info on this tour but we enjoyed it. We went up to several balconies, one looked over St. Marks square. We were shown different ways the doge could access the basilica. I haven't done the secrets tour so I can't compare.