Denali natural history tour

jogo

We will be taking the Denali Natural History Tour next month. Of course we waited too long for the Tundra Wilderness Tour--- it has been sold out.

My question is what is the difference and should I try to get a private Tundra Wilderness Tour if there is that much difference. Thanks so much for all the info getting super excited.

yes, another vote for the Eielson shuttle!

It takes you to an actual destination where you will enjoy rangers, exhibits, a view of the mtn if it's out, trails, flush toilets. Plus you pick the exact time you want to go .... they usually leave every 30 minutes. It too is an 8 hr trip, but only $34. Even if you can't get a refund on the NHT, $34 is a bargain for a full day excursion.

If you're staying at the Princess Lodge you can utilize their shuttle to reach the Wilderness Access Center WAC where the buses load. Pick up a boxed lunch and drink from your hotel to take on the trip.

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/eielson-visitor-center.aspx

We will be taking the Denali Natural History Tour next month. Of course we waited too long for the Tundra Wilderness Tour--- it has been sold out.

My question is what is the difference and should I try to get a private Tundra Wilderness Tour if there is that much difference. Thanks so much for all the info getting super excited.

First of all, I do not think that there are any private tours in Denali. All of them are on the school buses. My suggestion if you have the time would be to do the Denali Park Shuttle. It gets you as far into the park as you want to go and lets you get off and on as many times as you wish. That is what we have done the times that we were in Denali.

What you can do is defined by how long you have in Denali. If you have the typical cruise tour one night stay in Denali, you basically have few and also very bad choices.

DON

Correct all buses are Aramark, the park concessionaire. What cruise line are you with? (and I'll speculate there ARE TWT's available, you are narrowing your selections by going through the cruise line)

As stated so many times above- as well as I will agree, the "best" is to take the shuttle bus to at least Eielson.

It will require MORE effort on your part, but is not that difficult. You will get the accurate exact details from this board, if you Are willing to go independent? And can be ok with splitting off from your "group"? Some people can not.

You will get detailed accurate information how to do so, if you wish to proceed?

We are going on Princess. We have no problems doing a non Princess excursion. I love all the comments and ideas. Please let us know!!

You WILL have to, make your own reservations http://www.reservedenali.com As clearly mentioned above, get to at least to Eielson, Wonder Lake is excellent mid August and later. Request that NHT refund NOW, from Princess. (spotty reports on refund, at least try).

Princess Lodge shuttles start at 7am- book a Denali shuttle at least an hour after the lodge shuttle. Keep in mind the lodge returns end in the evening, call the lodge direct and get the current information- how late they run. You have to bring in all your food and drink. There are several places that offer bagged lunches and Subway around Glitter Gulch. The Wilderness Access Center- where you get the Denali shuttle bus, does have a limited food selection.

Eielson does have a few ranger programs and if you are planning on hiking, allow plenty of time. http://www.nps.gov/dena

There is a trail, through woods that you can take from the Princess Lodge to the WAC. A mile+.

You might also check directly with the hotel - we had six buses on our Tundra Wilderness tours in September. They seem to add buses when they get more interest.

Bad advice. The "hotel" is only a middle man, far better to go direct to the Denali booking yourself and see, exactly what is available. http://www.reservedenali.com Has the bonus of clear accurate descriptions.