timing of train from Rome to Venice

trenz

I disembark Harmony on October 20th. I have Rome Cabs picking me up at 8:00 and bringing me to termini for my train to Venice. I'll take a chance on super economy tickets. I realize ship being late, traffic, etc. can all render my tickets useless but if I get it right its a nice savings.

I'm looking at the 10:50 . Would you be comfortable with this timing? The one earlier is 10:35 and the next later one is 11:35

Thank you

October 20th is a work day so you'll be heading into the city along with everyone going to work.

I would probably feel comfortable with your timing but why don't you ask the experts? Tell Rome Cabs you want to be at Termini at 10:30 AM and let them tell you what time you need to leave Civitavecchia. They make this drive regularly, those of us here do it a few times in a lifetime. Our experience and intuition is meaningless next to theirs.

Thanks. I had asked them that at booking and they told me 90 minutes pending traffic plus 20 minutes to get to platform.

Was kind of looking for a second opinion but I agree they would know best. The 10:50 adds an hour to their estimate so I think I'll go with that. I'll have time to grab a snack for the ride.

Appreciate the help

Edited by trenz

Is there a reason you're not taking the 7-7:30 train from Civi to Termini? It takes about 1:20 and you are there well before 10:30.

There's two ships that morning, over 10,000 people. The current compass shows gangway open at 7:30 so I would not make those earlier trains. Saw a few posts here that suggested it can get crazy waiting for the port shuttle then bus to train station, while handling luggage. Just wanted to make it easier.

I too was wondering why you would book an expensive car-based transfer from Civi to Roma Termini, when the train would give you more options, save money and probably get you there nearly as fast. And there appear to be multiple options from Civi that would get you Roma Termini in time. I'm confused: why spend a king's ransom on a private car transfer from Civi to Termini, and go cheap on super economy on the Termini-Venezia train? Do you have to be in Venezia at a certain time? If not, you can do Freccia (so guaranteed, reserved seats and faster train) both legs, departing Civitavecchia at 11:24 am, leave Roma Termini at 12:50pm and arrive Venezia SL at 4:35 pm for just €46/person. All that this requires is that you be willing to debark the ship last (I love to do this!). Alternatively, if you are either not willing to debark late, or must get to Venezia earlier, you can take any of the three Regionales that depart Civi earlier (as per the original posts in this thread).

Edited by Terpnut

Forget the car transfer . Easily done by train . WEEKDAY timings.

Civitavecchia dep 0958 Roma Termini arr 1118 Change trains

Roma Termini Dep 1150 Venezia St Lucia 1535

Seat reservation is COMPULSORY on the Roma - Venezia leg .

Funny, I'm the nearly-compulsive-about-it public transit fan, but I agree with the OP that if you can afford it, a car service would be much more comfortable in this situation. Thousands of cruisers, plus luggage, all disembarking at the same time plus a few thousand others getting off other ships for a port day will stress the shuttle system. That, plus getting on an already packed commuter train with luggage and standing for an hour or more just does not sound acceptable to me if there's an alternative.

There's two ships that morning, over 10,000 people. The current compass shows gangway open at 7:30 so I would not make those earlier trains. Saw a few posts here that suggested it can get crazy waiting for the port shuttle then bus to train station, while handling luggage. Just wanted to make it easier.

Not sure where you see two ships that have 5000 people on each...Is Oasis or Allure there? If you adding people getting on those ships that day, those people won't be there at 7:30.

That being said, 2 ships at Civi is not a big load. The port can take 4 or 5. Not all people will be taking the port shuttles or trains, many will take other transport. Yes, a 7:30 train is not doable, but later trains are doable.

Doing private transport is always doable, but seems an unneeded expense, in the big picture. JMHO.

Edited by CruiserBruce

That being said, 2 ships at Civi is not a big load. The port can take 4 or 5. Not all people will be taking the port shuttles or trains, many will take other transport. Yes, a 7:30 train is not doable, but later trains are doable.

Yes, the port can handle it (not exactly comfortably for the passengers, but it is handled) but the trains are another issue. I'm all for using the trains on a port day but with luggage it is an issue unless you can wait until after 10 AM.

Funny, I'm the nearly-compulsive-about-it public transit fan, but I agree with the OP that if you can afford it, a car service would be much more comfortable in this situation. Thousands of cruisers, plus luggage, all disembarking at the same time plus a few thousand others getting off other ships for a port day will stress the shuttle system. That, plus getting on an already packed commuter train with luggage and standing for an hour or more just does not sound acceptable to me if there's an alternative.
With all that considered, this is why I suggested the late debarkation and the all-Freccia solution. Much cheaper, faster debarkation, less crowded at station, and reserved seating on trains. Only drawbacks are that the OP would still have to schlep luggage from port shuttle-shuttle-train station, and the later arrival into Venezia, but possibly worth it to save €85+? Edited by Terpnut

Yes, that would work but there's an additional tradeoff, which is time. The first Frecce of the day departs Civitavecchia at 11:18 AM, a couple of hours after most lines shove everyone off the ship, so they'd have to kill an hour or two in Civitavecchia and accept arriving at their destination a couple of hours later.

As with everything else in life, it comes down to your priorities. If time or ease/convenience is a priority, the car service is the best solution. If economy is more important, the train is the way to go.

Yes, that would work but there's an additional tradeoff, which is time. The first Frecce of the day departs Civitavecchia at 11:18 AM, a couple of hours after most lines shove everyone off the ship, so they'd have to kill an hour or two in Civitavecchia and accept arriving at their destination a couple of hours later.

As with everything else in life, it comes down to your priorities. If time or ease/convenience is a priority, the car service is the best solution. If economy is more important, the train is the way to go.

We have been able to stay aboard most cruise ships until 10 am or even as late as 10:30 am. And if you coordinate with your stateroom attendant (hint: extra tip!), you can even arrange to "sleep in" and stay in your room until 8 pm or later! And some lines now even offer a paid option to stay aboard until mid afternoon e.g. 3 pm (useful if you should you want to take a mid or late afternoon train). So don't let the published debarkation schedule that shows the "last people off the ship" at 8:30 am fool you! Most lines are focused on getting the majority of the people off as quickly as possible--primarily to allow stateroom attendants sufficient time to turn around the cabins. Their goal is to board the next sailing around 11 am at the earliest. Otherwise, as long as you have a place to hang out with your luggage and aren't causing the crew any trouble, you can generally hang around onboard longer than you think.

So there's no need to kill alot of time in Civitavecchia--just stay onboard until you are kicked off. Worst case you are forced off at 9:30 am to 10 am (although it's generally later in my experience) and you get to the train station an hour early. Again, that is the worst case.

The main drawback to my suggestion is killing time--not in Civitavecchia but onboard. As most things on the ship will be closed on turnaround day, you won't have alot of things to do beyond enjoying your coffee, reading and hanging out in a lounge that morning. But it's more relaxing to do this onboard than at the train station! :)

Edited by Terpnut