First Alaska Cruise - top excursions

Moparop

My husband and I will be traveling to Alaska on the Zaandam northbound next summer and we are in the beginning stages of looking into excursions. We have three kids (13, 11, & 8 at travel time) and will be with a larger group of 13 people. Our hope is to do some things with the larger group and others with just the 5 of us.

We will be in Ketchikan from 7-3, Juneau from 10-10, and Skagway from 7am-9pm. We would like to hike, see wildlife, and see/do things that are unique to Alaska. We've talked about whale watching in Juneau but are open to anything! This may be a one time trip so we'd like to maximize the opportunity!

My husband and I will be traveling to Alaska on the Zaandam northbound next summer and we are in the beginning stages of looking into excursions. We have three kids (13, 11, & 8 at travel time) and will be with a larger group of 13 people. Our hope is to do some things with the larger group and others with just the 5 of us.

We will be in Ketchikan from 7-3, Juneau from 10-10, and Skagway from 7am-9pm. We would like to hike, see wildlife, and see/do things that are unique to Alaska. We've talked about whale watching in Juneau but are open to anything! This may be a one time trip so we'd like to maximize the opportunity!

In Skagway book a train and bus combo tour . Either thru the cruise line or independently. Many tours in Skagway require a passport to enter Canada , passport card or enhanced drivers license.

The DW and I loved our Musher's Camp & Sled Dog Experience we did in June. You can do it in Skagway or Juneau. We on past cruises have done the Best of Skagway and have loved it. Great big group activity and it includes lunch.

Plenty of options in each port to choose from, just do your price comparisons.

For anything involving flying have a plan B. Our helicopter glacier tour got cancelled at Juneau due to weather (happens frequently) so we switched to whale watching tour which was pretty good and a humpback calf came right up to the drifting (engine off) boat. Had time after to take city bus to Glacier Gardens which was an unexpected treat (and much less cost than ship's tour there).

Overall best was Misty Fjords boat & float plane at Ketchikan. Saw whales along the way as well as other wildlife. A bit spendy for just two of us but an amazing experience.

Next year Tracy Arm Jet Boat on on our short list for Juneau.

This topic comes up at least once a week on this board. Scroll down and read some of the various posts, and you will get lots of responses. Also, read the reviews from the "sticky" at the top of the forum.

Your kids are old enough to have opinions and do some research on this. Have them look at Trip Advisor for your ports, show them the excursions listings for your cruise, etc. If you come up with some possible choices, come back and ask specific questions to help make your decisions.

A year to plan and budget for Alaska is helpful as the excursions are expensive. Better to spend the money and enjoy the whole experience to the fullest as we never know when or if we'll make it back.

We went round trip from Seattle and I envy your longer port days, a luxury with so much to do.

We booked the Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm small boat excursion; Bennet Scenic Journey on the White Pass/Yukon rail/bus combo with Chilkoot tours in Skagway; and took a shuttle bus to Mendenhall Glacier with hike to Nugget Falls in Juneau.

Mendenhall Glacier would be good for the whole group if not everyone has deep pockets. You know going in the excursions are expensive but they really make the whole trip so great. We hope to go back and book the Misty Fjords flightseeing floatplane trIp.

I think for active kids, I would do a whale watch/ Mendenhall Glacier hike in Juneau, the Musher Camp or the Chilkoot Trail Hike and Raft Float in Skagway , and in Ketchikan, I would go kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks. Have fun!

Edited by Suzanne123

There are hundreds of options. Take a good look at shore excursion lists and EVERYBODY narrow down their interests. I never advocate "group" touring in Alaska that takes up a lot of time. Countless superb opportunities- not to compromise if a real interest to someone.

Thoughts....

• Northbound? Don't forget your BONUS embarkation and debarkation ports. Lots to do... especially in Vancouver.
  • which sailing? there may be seasonal opportunities to explore.

Have a look at these videos for additional ideas.

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Our best excursions were Dyea Dave in Skagway & Wilderness Explorer and Crab Feast in Ketchikan. Dyea Dave is special because of the small group & his expertise of the area. He is a very interesting man who is excellent at catering to the needs of his clients' requests. I would combine Dyea Dave with White Pass Rail. George Inlet crab feast was great & our boat cabin fed the eagles right on the side of the boat. It was awesome to see them swoop down for bait fish about 20 feet from the side of the boat. Great photo opportunity.

Thoughts....

•  
  • Northbound? Don't forget your BONUS embarkation and debarkation ports. Lots to do... especially in Vancouver.

• which sailing? there may be seasonal opportunities to explore.

Have a look at these videos for additional ideas.

[YOUTUBE]RiaOlvSRMAk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE]

We are headed northbound on the July 9 sailing. Trying to figure out if we come in the day before or two days before to Vancouver. We have the two day Denali extension on the end.

Edited by Moparop

I recommend two or more days for Vancouver. Lots to do at this port. It also gives you a contingency for potential flight issues.

[YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I too would recommend getting to Vancouver a couple of days before the cruise. A fabulous city with lots and lots to do.

I personally wouldn't recommend the Misty Fjords Float plane trip with kids - just may not be their thing probably prefer to be active and would be incredibly expensive for 5 of you. (I loved it but I'm 65 and travelled solo - big difference!)

I loved my whale watching trip in Juneau with Harv & Marv - great sightings and good information. Kids would love that I'm sure and you get to Mendenhall too and can hike there and bus back.

Enjoy Alaska - it's just wonderful.