Illusionarium Bites the Dust

djmess

I think the concept is great and loved For The Record. I thought including crew interaction was brilliant. I thought the food, with the exception of the apps, was dreadful, but that could be improved. I hope they keep the idea and put in some decent shows.

We thought Illusionarium was quite unique, and very entertaining, ditto the Cirque type show on another ship. Enjoyed them very much, although they could have just left off the meal.

On our Escape sailing, The Brat Pack show in the Dinner show venue was cancelled for the entire week with no previous notice. Found out on board. It's now a Theatre show, and free. They filled in the Dinner Show slots on our cruise with random things. Nothing we cared to try to see.

Maybe NCL has decided these Dinner Show venues are not a good idea for whatever reason, probably expense and revenue related, and will slowly phase them out as show contracts expire to be replaced with cheap entertainment as in days of old. I hope this is not the next shoe to drop on NCL. The entertainment is a big reason we book NCL.

My log in on NCL still allowed booking of the Cirque show this morning. That was for October 16 sailing.

Though if they are going to cancel something, once again a little notification and picking a date where people would have been at least 90 days out so that they couldn't book it. I just booked and paid for the Cirque on Monday for our sailing.

Right. I've already booked the Illusionarium for our cruise and it was supposed to be my sister's birthday dinner (she doesn't know, though, thankfully). So I am really disappointed by this.

I understand they have the right to change entertainment, but man...nearly everything that was on board when I booked the cruise will be gone when I finally get on board. That's not cool at all.

Legally Blonde, Grammy Experience, Illusionarium, and I've read in other threads that the free Flamingo Grill is supposed to be changing into a for-fee Margaritaville. I tried Margaritaville on the Escape (fortunately, when it was still free) and it was nothing to write home about. So if Flamingo Grill does turn into Margaritaville, the chances of me going to it are slim to none.

Oh, and "Burn The Floor" doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't even watch the beloved "Dancing With The Stars" that everyone around me seems to be obsessed with. It's just not my type of entertainment. But the way it's looking, that's going to be the only thing left.

Edited by dreamr

Since I haven't seen any show on the Getaway, changing them wouldn't bother me that much, but if they replace the FREE Flamingo Grill with another for a fee venue, that will make me rethink my cruise, and maybe go back to RCCL. Part of the reason that I booked this was because of the dinner venues. Take that away and it loses part of the Freestyle.Maybe they should change the name to Chargestyle.I know I'm jumping the gun because nobody knows what they are going to do yet, and I'm not about to cancel yet. In fact, i'm still looking forward to this cruise.

This leaves me wondering what will happen with Cirque Dreams on the EPIC?

What will NCL use the space for on these ships? More Karakoe or Triva????

Yet another cutback "for our convenience" I am sure, although if true this is the first cutback I know of that will cost them money - although it is possible that they money they will save on performer salaries, shoreside rehearsal times/space, etc far outweighs the revenue these venues produced.

If this cutback was costing them money, I doubt it would be happening. *grin* They were obviously not selling it to the point where it covered the cost of services.

Oh, and "Burn The Floor" doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't even watch the beloved "Dancing With The Stars" that everyone around me seems to be obsessed with. It's just not my type of entertainment. But the way it's looking, that's going to be the only thing left.

I have no interest in those TV shows either, but "Burn the Floor" was better than I thought it would be (granted I did not have high expectations going in). I didn't love the show, but I was certainly entertained and was worth seeing.

While I liked Legally Blonde more (seeing both on land) Million Dollar Quarter is a good show. Lots of top 50s songs of the 4 artists (Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins) with a basic story behind it, and it's based on a true event. Unless you hate their music you should see it.

Since I haven't seen any show on the Getaway, changing them wouldn't bother me that much, but if they replace the FREE Flamingo Grill with another for a fee venue, that will make me rethink my cruise, and maybe go back to RCCL. Part of the reason that I booked this was because of the dinner venues. Take that away and it loses part of the Freestyle.Maybe they should change the name to Chargestyle.I know I'm jumping the gun because nobody knows what they are going to do yet, and I'm not about to cancel yet. In fact, i'm still looking forward to this cruise.

Isn't that the plan though? Replacing Flamingo Grill with Margaritaville, which will be a pay venue?

Trust me when I say that even if other people think MDQ is better than Legally Blonde, odds are good that I won't be among them. I may enjoy it, but it just won't be the show I was dreaming to see. :(

The Illusionarium was the only show left that I was a little excited about, especially once Legally Blonde was removed. My sister and niece are both excited to see it, too.

Legally Blonde was Laughably Bad. If you're a fan of the movie, the reality show, and other things surrounding it, I think the very-pared-back NCL version of the musical would have left you brutally disappointed.

I won't go so far as to say "consider yourself lucky", but I think you would have been extremely underwhelmed. There's only so much they can do--they're on a ship so that limits production numbers, sets, and in a sense how long the show can be. But instead of doing the Broadway or touring shows justice, the Getaway production should have been jailed for Contempt.

Yep, and Norwegian Getaway sailings immediately after the quoted ending date still have the ability for booking online.

Illusionarium continues to be listed on my Vacation Summary as booked and pre-paid . . . but there will be zero surprise if it goes away after getting the head-up from Cruise Critic rather then NCL. That has become a new, and unfortunate, 'norm'. :(

Nope. Not true. I can't book it, doesn't show up

I'll be returning to the Getaway for the second time in Sept, so we've seen Legally Blond, which seemed stupid to me, but my husband enjoyed it. We saw the Grammy Experience, but at the time was just some female singer/songwriter that really wasn't worth a second visit. Didn't go to Illusionarium as magic shows aren't my thing and had heard how awful the dinner was, so didn't feel it justified the prices. We did enjoy the Flamingo grill so will be disappointed to see it turn into Margaritaville, although there's talk they plan to put some of the favorites at the Café, so it'll be okay. They had eliminated the fireworks prior to our sail date also, so that was a disappointment at the time. BUT, we still had a GREAT cruise. There are plenty of other venues to hear music and dance, comedy shows, and still two great shows to see. How could they possibly find something that appeals to everyone? It's really not any different on other cruise lines, things change, contracts end. Stop focusing on what you aren't going to do and just enjoy what the ship does offer. I think NCL does a good job with their entertainment

Nope. Not true. I can't book it, doesn't show up

My apologies. :o

I'll be more specific.

For those of us with sailings departing either 9/18 or 9/25, we still show it on our Vacation Summary, as well as the ability to book it brand new under Explore & Plan.

I'll be more specific.

For those of us with sailings departing either 9/18 or 9/25, we still show it on our Vacation Summary, as well as the ability to book it brand new under Explore & Plan.

Yes, I understand. I am looking at those dates under my Explore and plan. If you booked it already, perhaps that's why it is showing. I haven't booked the Illusionarium and have no option to for my cruise in September . On those dates .

Edited by Annmeat

Just got off the phone with two NCL reps and both told me that there are currently no plans to remove the Illusionarium in its entirety, but that the contracts with the specific performers in the show are ending and they will - more than likely - be bringing aboard different magicians. So the show is currently on a "stop sell" until the contracts get signed, but that it will open back up once everything is finalized.

Take that as you will. We all know how trustworthy the NCL reps' information is. lol

Just got off the phone with two NCL reps and both told me that there are currently no plans to remove the Illusionarium in its entirety, but that the contracts with the specific performers in the show are ending and they will - more than likely - be bringing aboard different magicians. So the show is currently on a "stop sell" until the contracts get signed, but that it will open back up once everything is finalized.

Take that as you will. We all know how trustworthy the NCL reps' information is. lol

This makes so much sense to me. Magicians are a dime a dozen. NCL built this

Illusionarium for magic shows. It would not make sense to take it apart after only a few years but who knows.

That would make sense since from the beginning the contracts have restarted and performers have changed every 6 months, in May and November. We shall see, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

According to a recent job vacancy announcement for the Illusionarium, three of the performer's contracts don't end until November 27, 2016. That infers NCL at least did not intend to end the show anytime soon. Weird they would not have magicians already under contract by now.

Here is a quote from the job vacancy announcement:

"Rehearsal and Production Dates & Locations

Contract Begins: April 28, 2016 – travel to Tampa, FL. Rehearsals: April 29, 2016 – rehearsals in Tampa, FL. Board Ship: May 8, 2016. Itinerary: Norwegian Getaway, ports every week in Miami. 7 day cruises to the Eastern Caribbean. Performance Schedule: Up to two shows an evening, 6 days a week. End of Contract: November 27, 2016."

https://www.backstage.com/casting/illusionarium-norwegian-cruise-line-102695/

We spoke to NCL TODAY .They confirmed illusionarium is going and were really quite arrogant, stating they can change what they want when they want at any time. Really bad could notcare less attitude. Its our first and maybe last time with NCL . I am already concerned about the service and we have not even sailed yet.

We really booked this for Legally blonde and the illusionarium. We are very dissapointed but NCL dont seem to care !

We spoke to NCL TODAY .They confirmed illusionarium is going and were really quite arrogant, stating they can change what they want when they want at any time. Really bad could notcare less attitude. Its our first and maybe last time with NCL . I am already concerned about the service and we have not even sailed yet.

We really booked this for Legally blonde and the illusionarium. We are very dissapointed but NCL dont seem to care !

When you say you "spoke to NCL", with whom did you speak?

Just spoke to NCL. I am on the Breakaway 9/4-9/11 sailing. They said Cirque will be stopped on 9/9, which is during the cruise, but didn't know if the show would be available earlier in the week. She said it has been removed from the website, but to check onboard to see if show can be booked. So I guess it will be a wait and see until we are on board.

I'll be on the same cruise. I can confirm it isn't showing up.

We briefly thought about booking it but I changed my mind. It doesn't effect us personally, but again its another change with little to no notice.

I did receive an email regarding the water policy a few days after seeing it here.

I have not gotten any notifications about the removal of the show.

They really do need to come up with a new way of changing or removing things. Obviously the agreement you sign does let them do this type of thing, but courtesy and customer service is important. Even if you're doing something that takes a bit of the value or downright pisses off your customer, try to do it in the best way possible. Sneaky changes aren't going to win any new fans.

I will say I've made a few calls to NCL with questions i've had since booking this cruise. Besides one person who needed a refresher in the policies, everyone was knowledgeable and polite. My wait times to speak to someone were very brief as well.

We can only hope the NCL employee you spoke with was misinformed.

I'll be more specific.

I'll be specific too, 9/25 does not show LeCirque and it was showing a week ago.

I wonder what is happening? NCL truly has a great product with these new ships. We were on the Getaway two years ago and really loved it so much couldn't wait for the Escape. While people like some change..too much change with no thought of adaquate replacements is unsettling.