Explore 4 question (All Explore 4 threads have been merged into this thread)

IF they have set up the system properly, I would expect that you buy your internet minutes and then get the price credited back to you.

That's how it works on Cunard, where various internet packages are given as past-passenger perks. We buy the package we're entitled to and our account is charged and then immediately reimbursed.

Given HAL's system, I wonder if it will just become general OBC onboard. That's what happened with the OBC that was meant for tours a while back.

Thanks! It would definitely be helpful for planning (at least MY planning) if the rates and packages were published.

I'm happy to have the E4 package as depending on the cost of internet, my OBC can be used for excursions and other extras.

always got a double or triple even with 1 card. They just wait a minute and ring up the second drink. I did have a problem at the Ocean Bar once but they straightened out. Just 1 bartender who followed the old rule. Just be sure the drinks are under $8. Got double Grey Goose on the rocks but if it was ordered as a martini then it was over the card limit.

Is this new? This was the case on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise last March. We did have to show a card for each alcoholic drink ordered. Could not order more than one at a time unless we had more than one card. The Dining room wine steward got it mixed up once and charged 2 wines to one card. Had a devil of a time getting it straightened out at front desk. Had to go desk three different days.

I'm the one that reported unlimited non alcholic drinks with Explore 4 but it was also on Nieuw Amsterdam earlier this month. Hopefully others will confirm if it's being done on other ships as well.

We are traveling with people in 2 other rooms. Our reservations are linked for dinning and I am wondering if this will also be the case for the assigned dinner at the pinnacle grill which we will find out about once on board. Anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had 2 other rooms linked with ours and we were given the same dinner reservations with explore 4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can use it anytime, but you want get any special break during Happy Hour.

Actually, that would still work out. We would each get a glass of wine and use our cards as though we were not at Happy Hour. I am assuming that you can use the card during Happy Hour?

Edited by JudithLynne

This is our first experience with the package and I have 2 questions for all you seasoned HAL cruisers.

Should I be concerned that the Explore 4 or more important, the Signature Drink Package is not listed on the HAL boarding pass I just printed off?

Speaking of the Pinnacle grill, I saw another poster's photos of the menu. There did not appear to be a single glass of red or white wine that was under $8. Prosecco was the only one I noticed that would qualify for the drink package. Did I miss some? I know on a previous cruise a couple of years ago I enjoyed a wine that only was available in the Canaletto and I did manage to order it in the main dining room--mind you I ordered it by the bottle, not the glass.

Thanks for your help!

Is the beverage plan simply not applicable to beverage >$8, or are you charged the difference between the cost of the drink and $8? Sorry, didn't have the plan when I was last on HAL. For our upcoming NCL trip, you just pay the difference. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the beverage plan simply not applicable to beverage >$8, or are you charged the difference between the cost of the drink and $8? Sorry, didn't have the plan when I was last on HAL. For our upcoming NCL trip, you just pay the difference. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately you can't pay the difference. If it's over $8 the total charge goes to your room bill.

Unfortunately you can't pay the difference. If it's over $8 the total charge goes to your room bill.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like wine by the glass may be challenging for $8, but I'll check out the wine packages since my MIL gets a discount on those. Cocktails, coffees and water will definitely make that a useful perk even without the wine.

15 drinks person is good. We don't drink a large amount of alcohol but we drink a lot of coffee, soda and bottled water. I am looking forward to trying some different cocktails, knowing that I can get something different if I don't like the first one. Is the 15% gratuity included in the explore 4 or will that be charged to our account?

Just off the Westerdam a couple of weeks ago and the 15% gratuity was not included on the Explorer 4 drink card but taken from OBC or charged to our account once OBC was used up.

Just off the Westerdam a couple of weeks ago and the 15% gratuity was not included on the Explorer 4 drink card but taken from OBC or charged to our account once OBC was used up.

Well, someone messed up then. Here are the rules from HAL website - as of today:

Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower including service charges. Guests may order beverages one at a time and must be 21 years or older for alcoholic beverages. No sharing is permitted.

Edited by DaveOKC

Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower including service charges. Guests may order beverages one at a time and must be 21 years or older for alcoholic beverages. No sharing is permitted.

No, it's $8 or less MENU price - service charge is ignored. The 15% service charge was already added when the SBC package was purchased.

This is our first experience with the package and I have 2 questions for all you seasoned HAL cruisers.

Should I be concerned that the Explore 4 or more important, the Signature Drink Package is not listed on the HAL boarding pass I just printed off?

Speaking of the Pinnacle grill, I saw another poster's photos of the menu. There did not appear to be a single glass of red or white wine that was under $8. Prosecco was the only one I noticed that would qualify for the drink package. Did I miss some? I know on a previous cruise a couple of years ago I enjoyed a wine that only was available in the Canaletto and I did manage to order it in the main dining room--mind you I ordered it by the bottle, not the glass.

Thanks for your help!

I think I have found the answer to the wine by the glass question. And I will take the advice I read on other posts to ask the wine steward about any other wines available by the glass which aren't listed.

I did want to know if this kind of package is something usually noted on your boarding pass?

<snip>

Speaking of the Pinnacle grill, I saw another poster's photos of the menu. There did not appear to be a single glass of red or white wine that was under $8. Prosecco was the only one I noticed that would qualify for the drink package. Did I miss some? <snip>

Thanks for your help!

Hi, when we were on the Volendam earlier this year, we ran into that on our Pinnacle Grill night, too.....no wines listed under $8! I didn't really want to spend more for wine, so we declined. The wine steward then asked if we were on the drink package, and when we said 'yes', he said all the wines offered in the MDR were also available. I don't remember if he had a list to show us, but we'd had a couple glasses of the Malbec the previous night in the MDR and so just ordered that.

Best wishes and good luck!

So.. you had a lot of little ~ $1 to $1.20 charges on your final bill? It should be easy to flag them and contact HAL's customer service to have them refunded.

I did want to know if this kind of package is something usually noted on your boarding pass?

No, it won't be noted o n your boarding pass. It should have been noted on your booking docs (e.g., from your TA) after you initially booked the cruise.

Hi, when we were on the Volendam earlier this year, we ran into that on our Pinnacle Grill night, too.....no wines listed under $8! I didn't really want to spend more for wine, so we declined. The wine steward then asked if we were on the drink package, and when we said 'yes', he said all the wines offered in the MDR were also available. I don't remember if he had a list to show us, but we'd had a couple glasses of the Malbec the previous night in the MDR and so just ordered that.

Best wishes and good luck!

Thank you so much for your response. It certainly helps to know beforehand. My DH really likes Malbec so it should work out just fine!

No, it won't be noted o n your boarding pass. It should have been noted on your booking docs (e.g., from your TA) after you initially booked the cruise.

Thanks for your response. The information is on the trip information from the TA .

Guess I'm just a little bit anxious as the package was a complete and lovely surprise!!!

So I take it no worries as long as it is listed on the TA's travel doc's along with the OBC?

Thanks!!

Edited by Marbella
sp