Cooking classes/galley tour on Coral 10 day Panama Canal?

Cinderellie

Hello. My husband and I will be sailing on the Coral Princess on the October 9th Panama Canal cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We would love to participate in cooking classes. Do they have them on the Coral Princess on this longer itinerary with 4 days at sea? Or do they just feature demonstrations?

If so, what are the classes? Extra charge for the classes?

Do they also offer a Galley Tour? I heard there is a paid tour, but also that you can make arrangements with your maitre'd and he will arrange for a tour for you at no charge.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

There are, to my knowledge, no cooking classes on this itinerary, and I have done it once (and am booked later this year -my signature is just way out of date). There will be plenty of demos of different types - vegetable carvings, chocolate demos, martini making, etc. There will also be a big culinary demonstration which is a cooking show, which is followed by a galley walk through. That is free, and open to all.

Paid tours: there are two that include the galley, to my knowledge. The chef's table is a dinner that is many courses and includes wine pairings, and includes a tour of the galley. It is pricey, but well worth the cost if you enjoy food and wine. You won't get any cooking demos though. The other tour is a ship's tour that tours the backside of the whole ship, including the bridge, engine room, medical center, etc. I'm not actually sure that it visits the galley, but it might. It's also pricey. Both tours are listed in the patters, and you can get info by talking to Passenger Services.

Edited by friend of Eeyore
Typo

Hello. My husband and I will be sailing on the Coral Princess on the October 9th Panama Canal cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We would love to participate in cooking classes. Do they have them on the Coral Princess on this longer itinerary with 4 days at sea? Or do they just feature demonstrations?

If so, what are the classes? Extra charge for the classes?

Do they also offer a Galley Tour? I heard there is a paid tour, but also that you can make arrangements with your maitre'd and he will arrange for a tour for you at no charge.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

There is a cooking demo and galley tour on the last full day of the cruise.

Its hosted by the MD/Exec Chef. No cost.

Not aware of any cooking classed per se.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

When we did that cruise this past February, there was two different demos done on sea days. It was in the Universe Lounge and with one, the cruise director was competing with one of the head chefs in making a shrimp dish. They selcted three passengers from the audience to taste each one and judge. Their version of Iron Chef at sea.

The second demo was just dessert making and after than one, they offered the gallery tour. There were no cooking classes offered that we knew of.

How are you so positive there were no classes??

Tony

Just seeing the organisation and limited space that turns out great meals around the clock.

The logistics of cruising fascinates me, I can sit and watch them loading on turn around day for hours, 10 pallets of toilet paper, tons of flour, all the fresh fruit and vegetables, and the galley tour is just another of that type of thing.

I was also intrigued on one ship how the food for four dining rooms and the buffet were all coming out of one tiny kitchen.