Tipping extra?

SDCB432

[quote name='GUT2407']Wow, someone is bitter about something.[/QUOTE]

Nope not bitter at all! Feel the crew works so hard they deserve to have at the very least the auto tips left on. Every cruise I see people removing it. I read posts where the same people who remove it will post how they managed to cash out all their OBC. So in many cases IF they left their daily grat amts in place, they still would not of spent a dime out of pocket. ( Oh so maybe I am bitter after all...LOL)

[quote name='Reader0108598']noun, plural gratuities.

a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.
something given without claim or demand.

Why oh why are we tipping on top of a tip? A tip is given for good service:confused:

So now we have to tip extra ,extra for good service:confused:

Work my butt off to cruise ,treat all people I encounter well.

I leave the auto tip on ,nothing more needed,unless some people keep making the crew expect more!

Pretty soon you will not get good service, unless you tip over and above the auto Gratuity????

If people would like to throw their money away,please throw it my way.

I am a 50 something year old public servant , who works long hours, and lives in a mobile home.

Most of us are not living high off the hog, however we deserve a vacation also.

Reader[/QUOTE]

My extra tipping bothers you I'm glad hope it keeps you up at night worrying about not getting good service.

[quote name='Thrak']The auto tip recently went from $11.50 per person per day to $12.00 per person per day. Now they have suddenly raised it again to $12.95 per person per day. What's up with that? It seems like they are raising it up higher and higher to "make up for" the people who don't tip at all. It's like those who leave the auto tip in place are being expected to cover the lost tips from those who turn the auto tip off.

At the new rate the auto tips for my next cruise will run $725. :eek:[/QUOTE]
It's the cheap SOB'S that ruin it for everyone else by removing the auto tip! We had a couple who traveled with us in a large group years ago. They actually bragged about removing the auto tip & stiffing the staff. They made our nightly meals a living hell, to the point we kicked them out of our table & told the Maître D that these 2 were the scum of the Earth. We actually got them banned to the buffet. I'm in the food service industry & won't tolerate people like that. Leave on the auto tip & tip above that if you wish. The Auto Tip should be MANDATORTY!! No removing it for any reason. If service is terrible, complain to the management. We've been on 9 cruises & have ALWAYS had great service on Cunard/Celebrity/Princess. I wonder how the pax who complain have treated the staff. The staff are there to make the cruise more enjoyable, they are NOT slaves!

[quote name='jasbo49']Jeez, what were the chances this thread would run into a boatload of TNT?

Do what you want, as long as you don't stiff the workers. They all need a few bucks more than we do.

Hi Jim

Mean this with all respect ,I always auto tip and sometimes tip extra.
Have you ever been in port with some workers off the ship?

They are buying bottles of booze ..cigs, all kinds of crap.

They have every right to do this...but they are not starving to death.

If thier families at home were starving, they would not be buying the booze and cigs.
This is what they want you to think, so you tip more.

I am not cheap by any means but will not be played!

"They need the bucks more than we do" not sure about that. My hubby is Hispanic and has talked to crew who are doing very well for themselves. My hubby is 68 works a tractor on a farm so he knows hard work. These people are doing better (money wise )than he is . Edited by Reader0108598

[quote name='Reader0108598'][quote name='jasbo49']
Hi Jim

Mean this with all respect ,I always auto tip and sometimes tip extra.
Have you ever been in port with some workers off the ship?

They are buying bottles of booze ..cigs, all kinds of crap.

They have every right to do this...but they are not starving to death.

If thier families at home were starving, they would not be buying the booze and cigs.
This is what they want you to think, so you tip more.

I am not cheap by any means but will not be played!
[/QUOTE]

Hi Reader. I have no arguments with your experience. It's just different from mine. I suppose at age 25, I was more interested in booze and cigarettes than I should have been. But what I've seen on board and on shore is crew members who appear more squared away than I was.

We all have our own idea of our comfort levels. What I should have said is they need a few bucks more than I do.

Jim

[quote name='jasbo49'][quote name='Reader0108598']

Hi Reader. I have no arguments with your experience. It's just different from mine. I suppose at age 25, I was more interested in booze and cigarettes than I should have been. But what I've seen on board and on shore is crew members who appear more squared away than I was.

We all have our own idea of our comfort levels. What I should have said is they need a few bucks more than I do.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Sir, you have style :)

Gail Edited by Reader0108598

[quote name='johnsuttoncoldfield']I know I am going to hate myself for contributing to this thread but just to say - The point is, if you do remove the auto gratuity and hand over a tip in cash directly to your waiter and cabin steward as you suggest, they have to hand it in to the pool - they are not allowed to keep it.[/QUOTE]

Says who? Never saw anything but rumors abut this on cruise critic. I asked at guest services and they said cash tips are kept by the person you give it to. I was on an NCL cruise recently and asked the some of the people who served me and the cash went directly into their pocket with a big thank you. I asked if they got to keep it (even I remove the auto tips) and they said absolutely.
I'm sailing on Princess next month and just to be sure my tips go the person who served me I will ask about the policy at Guest services and also ask the loyalty ambassador and the cabin steward and act accordingly.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']I prefer to tip those that serve me directly, just like I do at any other venue. It has always been received well. I don't believe they turn it in and wish you would provide proof this happens because if I'm wasting my effort to tip in cash when I could just leave the auto intact and use up my OBC.[/QUOTE]Maybe it has changed recently but I have had both waiters and stewards make certain that our names and cabin numbers were on the envelopes we gave them. Why would they be doing that IF they just pocketed the money [emoji848] Several times I have asked the supervisor at Sabatini's for breakfast and once the supervisor in the Sanctuary and on those four occasions they all stated that the tips were turned in and pooled. Don't know if that was impacted by people who removed the auto tip because I didn't ask that question. On one occasion we wanted to tip our junior waiter more than our waiter because he did all of the work. He said he had to turn in the tips and they would be split between the two of them. Once again, I don't know if that was impacted by people who removed the auto tip because I didn't ask that question.

[quote name='cruzsnooze']I prefer to tip those that serve me directly, just like I do at any other venue. It has always been received well. I don't believe they turn it in and wish you would provide proof this happens because if I'm wasting my effort to tip in cash when I could just leave the auto intact and use up my OBC.[/QUOTE]
`Can you provide your proof?? I doubt it! I have to go by what I've been told by staff behind the pursers desk & the staff who provide me service. Do remember that if you remove the auto tip, you're stiffing the guys who actually cooked your food etc. These are the staff you DON'T see. Just leave the auto tip on & call it a day.

[quote name='keithm']`Can you provide your proof?? I doubt it! I have to go by what I've been told by staff behind the pursers desk & the staff who provide me service. Do remember that if you remove the auto tip, you're stiffing the guys who actually cooked your food etc. These are the staff you DON'T see. Just leave the auto tip on & call it a day.[/QUOTE]

I prefer to tip in cash, my choice. If the crew choose to pool it then that's their choice and apparently they are required to turn in all cash, even if you left the auto tip intact. When I travel on land I don't need or want to tip everyone who doesn't directly serve me. When's the last time you went to the kitchen to tip the chef or dishwasher. Did you tip the launderer in your restaurant. Tipping on cruise ships has gotten to a ridiculous level. The cruise clearly states it is discretionary & SUGGESTED not mandatory.
Read section E and you will see that even cash you give if leaving your auto tips intact go into the pool.
[url]http://crew-center.com/princess-cruises-crew-wages-details[/url]