a gazillion questions

Tammylyne

We are looking to book the Gem in April. Its been a loong time since we cruised on Norwegian and I was hoping someone can help answer my gazillion questions. :)

1. Embarkment dining - is everything open?
  2. Smoking..where is smoking allowed? Is smoking allowed by any of the pools?

3. Does Norwegian have a serenity area or adult pool, if so what is the age my kids will be 18 and 20?
  4. How is Norwegian with upsells,looking to book a balcony and would love to get an upsell for a category higher
  5. Room service, anyone know where I can find a menu?
  6. Our port includes Cape Canaveral, has anyone done the disney? Is it worth it or will we only get on 3 rides due to lines? Also can this be done outside of Norwegian on our own?

7. One stop in Nassau, can anyone tell me if Margaritaville with the pool has been completed yet?
  8. do you know where I can find drink menu's?
  9. I heard the rooms on NCL are smaller the CCL but the balconies on CCL are 203 sq ft as opposed to NCL's 228? ( these are probably not exact?) does anyone have the exact measurements?
  10. I am only a silver member, can you tell me about the members only cocktail party?
  11. Does NCL have a signature dish (Royal has the Vidalia tart, Carnivals lava cake and guys burgers)
  12. Do they have a BBQ,midnight buffet?
  13. I LOVE dressing up, will I look stupid if I wear a gown for formal night..is there even a formal night :D ? lol

OK so not a gazillion but any help would be appreciated :D!

I'll try to tackle some of them... ;) I was on the Gem last week (and loved it!).

Smoking..where is smoking allowed? Is smoking allowed by any of the pools?

There are quite a few smoking areas around the outside areas of the ship- mostly deck 7 and 12. The pool bar (Bali Hai) allows smoking.

Does Norwegian have a serenity area or adult pool, if so what is the age my kids will be 18 and 20?

I don't know about a serenity area, but there are quite a few "quiet zones"- mostly on deck 13 forward and aft. There are two pools- one is a "family pool" and the other is an "adult pool." The adult pool is 18+ so your kids should be fine there.

Do they have a BBQ,midnight buffet?

There was a BBQ on the pool deck each sea day- we left the ship on the port days, so I can't speak to it on those days. They had a different theme each day and included items like paella, steak, and grilled veggies.

I LOVE dressing up, will I look stupid if I wear a gown for formal night..is there even a formal night :D ? lol

On the "Dress Up or Not" night, there were several people dressed to the nines. It was fun to see them all dressed up. :)

I'll see if I can help with some of this ...

1. Embarkment dining - is everything open?
  2. Smoking..where is smoking allowed? Is smoking allowed by any of the pools?

One main dining room and the "comfort food" pub style restaurant named O'Sheehans (burgers, fish and chips, etc.) are open for lunch on embarkation. And the buffet of course!

1. How is Norwegian with upsells,looking to book a balcony and would love to get an upsell for a category higher

You can often call the upsell department and get a good deal; you pay the difference between your booking and the current price of the next level up. That's the theory, anyway. The only reasonable upgrade will be to a mini-suite (deluxe balcony) that has a larger bathroom, but is not a true suite. You might get lucky with an upsell opportunity for a full suite, and the NCL suite life is very sweet indeed! We have only had it happen once where it was a great deal.

1. Our port includes Cape Canaveral, has anyone done the disney? Is it worth it or will we only get on 3 rides due to lines? Also can this be done outside of Norwegian on our own?

2. Do they have a BBQ,midnight buffet?
  3. I LOVE dressing up, will I look stupid if I wear a gown for formal night..is there even a formal night :D ? lol

The port is about an hour and a half from Disney, if I recall correctly. Quite a drive. I can't imagine you would get more than 2 or 3 rides in if you go to the Magic Kingdom. For a short trip of just a few hours I would probably opt for Epcot instead. Or go with the ship's excursion, depending on the time allotted (I think you could easily miss getting back to the boat on time on your own!)

There is a lunch time BBQ on sea days on the pool deck with grilled chicken, ribs, corn on the cob, rice, etc. It is very good!

NCL doesn't have formal nights at all, but they usually designate one or two nights as "Norwegians Night Out" or "Dress Up or Not" nights, and you will see plenty of people in gowns and suits. The photographers are out in force at these times to take family portraits, and often the Master (Captain) is available in the atrium for pictures. No one will think it odd that you dress up, and in fact, you'll get plenty of compliments from staff and other guests.

The Disney trip is a waste, seriously we were there on a land trip for a day (from open to close) and we basically only got on 9 rides in 11 hours. Almost an hour per each line. Its a pricey excursion so you need to consider if its worth it for you.

Room service menus are around, do a search. Anything outside of the limited complimentary continental breakfast and coffee will incur a $7.95 fee for the entire order. Again, do a search for room service and you can find the particulars.

Wear your gown! ....and those in your party that would rather wear dockers and a golf shirt they won't be turned away either. Have a great time!

Edited by Sauer-kraut

No way would I pay the entrance fee to Disney for less than 2 days there....you simply will NOT have enough time. This is best done on a land vacation! Plan one...Disney is wonderful...but you need major time!

No way would I pay the entrance fee to Disney for less than 2 days there....you simply will NOT have enough time. This is best done on a land vacation! Plan one...Disney is wonderful...but you need major time!

and research....we have done a week at Disney numerous times. The unofficial guide to Disney is an invaluable resource which my wife studies and plans. Can't imagine being one of those folks who just show up and wander around Disney. Most probably don't return out of frustration.