Carnival Cancelled my Cruise - Chartered - Now what?

LMaxwell

Just got an email that Carnival cancelled our cruise as it has been chartered. I will call them today and see what my options are, but this is a first for me.

Two of my payments were made with different Amex Cards where I got a $75 discount for each $250 spent. And I had a 15% goodwill discount from a past Carnival issue I had applied to this cruise as well. Does anyone know how those will be impacted? Will they charge me the new prevailing rate or just move me to a comparable sailing?

Thanks

This stinks but they do have the right to do this.

I know, a little disappointed, I wanted to be in Key West for Halloween, but it's not the end of the world. There are comparable sailings so hopefully they can switch me with a comparable room location. Or maybe I can upgrade to a longer sailing at a protected rate? I'll call later this morning and see what they have to say / offer.

Each situation is different, so no one can give you a definite answer..best to call as you mentioned in your note and find out the real answer...good luck

Yep, this.

Sometimes they will offer you a switch to a comparable itinerary (without a change in price), other times they'll tell you that it's "tough luck" and that you'll get a credit towards a sailing of your choice at the current rates. Hope you can find something good!

So here is where I am at as of this moment: No where. I spoke to Carnival but their booking department hasn't yet received the notice of the canceled sailing that I, the guest, have received so they can't make any changes for me.

Kind of funny they tell me to call to make the change and then to be told they have no official record of the first cruise being canceled. The agent said this happens often where the guest finds out before the booking department.

I'll try again around lunch time.

Sorry for your dilemma, but at least you have over a year to make alternative plans.

Carnival should make a different, decent offer to you concerning another cruise for that week. Your cancellation money will probably be refunded to your original credit card or you might be able transfer it to your new sail date.

It's funny how sometimes we hear of changes on CC before that news gets news to the Carnival phone reps. They usually catch up in a day or so though.

Sorry for your dilemma, but at least you have over a year to make alternative plans.

Carnival should make a different, decent offer to you concerning another cruise for that week. Your cancellation money will probably be refunded to your original credit card or you might be able transfer it to your new sail date.

It's funny how sometimes we hear of changes on CC before that news gets news to the Carnival phone reps. They usually catch up in a day or so though.

The last thing I want is a refund. I was able to claim $150 in credits from Amex for making payments with 2 of those cards. That offer has now expired. If they refund me it basically would cost me $150 more for a comparable cruise. I'd rather they just swap me over.

I'll try this afternoon and see what they say.

Just called back and it took 45 minutes but they got it resolved. At first they told me there was no price protection (the letter says price protected).

They moved me to a cruise 4 weeks earlier; same ship, same itinerary, same cabin category but the new booking came out to almost $400 more. That is what took so long to correct.

Each person received $25 OBC.

The agent applied a $30 discount to the final price as well without asking as an apology for taking so long.

Was really looking forward to being in Key West on Halloween, but it's not the end of the world.

As far as I am concerned Carnival made this right for us.

It's terrible that Carnival can just "cancel" a cruise ... Im sure they are "allowed" to per that pesky cruise contract with all the fine print that none of us read, lol. . . but it really seems bad business practice.

For the people who this has happened to:

--- How far out would it happen? I mean this one is over a YEAR away, is that typical? Because anything closer than 6-8 months from sail date and AIRFARE will have already been purchased ...

I have five cruises booked all the way out to 2/2018 ... hope this doesn't happen to any of those!

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Not sure where you are but if that's the week you need join us on Freedom (10/29) out of Galveston. We have a group of about 50 CC people signed up for out M&G.

Thanks for the invite, but rumor is you people will all be wearing clothing. Sorry! :D

(j/k, I live less than an hour from Port of Miami)

--- How far out would it happen? I mean this one is over a YEAR away, is that typical? Because anything closer than 6-8 months from sail date and AIRFARE will have already been purchased ...

I think typically they won't allow charters to take a full ship with less than 6 months notice. I'm fortunate to be driving to the ship and not have a lot of "moving puzzle pieces" to contend with. I can see how this would be a much more significant problem for those with hotels, airfare, multiple families, etc.

I have five cruises booked all the way out to 2/2018 ...

I think Feb 2018 is the nude cruise :) :) :)

I feel for you, but at least they gave you a year. We once had a river cruise chartered out on us after we made final payment!

We were offered an upgraded cabin and what I'm sure they considered a better cruise because they charged more for it. but if you want to go to a certain place (in our case Amsterdam), sending you to a different place just does not do it for you.

And let me tell you it is much easier making a payment to a cruise line than it is getting them to refund your credit card, even when it is not you who cancelled, but them who chartered your ship.

And I agree that their contract allows this, but it is a terrible business practice. We will never consider that river cruise line again, and let as many folks as we could know what they had done.

BTW, we did end up doing a land vacation in Amsterdam, and had a wonderful time.