Spirit dry dock upgrade?

Deehitchen

There is a gap from February 19th until early March 17. Maybe the dry dock is then.

There is also the 5 days that others have mentioned too Jan 16th until 21st.

I don't see a gap in Feb - 2 Canaries cruises cover that time? 742e3f3fb289f9f4a6ae35174aa7d600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm watching this space as we'll be on the Spirit in April. I don't mind a slightly dated look but am hoping they do a bit of a spruce up if it needs it and not just technical upgrades. I guess with a large team of workers they can do a fair bit if they wanted to....

this is latest. Looks like we will miss out on the Edge upgrade for our cruise in April 2017. I'm sure we'll still have a great time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ah - well done on finding that info - must have been posted very recently. I was hoping they would upgrade the cabins too, but as long as we know no cruises are cancelled to lengthen the dry dock I'm happy! I've been a little concerned about that, as you know, and have been watching closely. I didnt want to freak out everyone on our roll call with my worries. Looks like we can relax 😆

For what it´s worth the following article just fell down into my lap.

http://www.independent.com.mt/articl...nce-6736165225

"The world's leading cruise company, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) will next year be deploying one of its vessels back in Malta, following an absence of eight years. Embellishing the historic Valletta harbour, NCL's newly refurbished Norwegian Spirit shall be starting and ending cruises from the Island.

This was announced today during a press conference on its sister ship the NCL Norwegian Star berthed at the Valletta Waterfront."

Edited by CRPVEGA

For what it´s worth the following article just fell down into my lap.

http://www.independent.com.mt/articl...nce-6736165225

"The world's leading cruise company, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) will next year be deploying one of its vessels back in Malta, following an absence of eight years. Embellishing the historic Valletta harbour, NCL's newly refurbished Norwegian Spirit shall be starting and ending cruises from the Island.

This was announced today during a press conference on its sister ship the NCL Norwegian Star berthed at the Valletta Waterfront."

We were on Gem in 2008 when it visited Malta - nice country you have. It was also a port you could embark as well. Seems NCL has stopped there since but maybe they mean as an embarkation port.

Are there really that many people wanting to get on a ship from Malta or do the folks come from other countries?

We were on Gem in 2008 when it visited Malta - nice country you have. It was also a port you could embark as well. Seems NCL has stopped there since but maybe they mean as an embarkation port.

Are there really that many people wanting to get on a ship from Malta or do the folks come from other countries?

I'm an expat that came here in 2008 :) our local agents buy an x amount of cabins on the ship and we're able to go from malta-malta. I'm booked on a cruise that embarks from Rome but I will start and stop here.

Either way I found it interesting that the press conference mentioned a newly refurbished spirit that comes here by the summer, but the january drydock has been scrapped?

I'm new to cruising(1st timer) and was hoping a bit for a for some work to be done on the spirit, but looks like a lot of mixed messages whether the big refurbishment will happen before the summer or not?

Hey all

This post has inspired me to write a post about my favourite ship. I absolutely love the Norwegian Spirit and hope that they don't change it too much in the refurb! I hope that they don't change the atrium or the pub...

http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/10/15/ncls-norwegian-spirit-my-favourite-cruise-ship/

It's really interesting to look at pictures of the ship when it was owned by star cruises vs now. See below the atrium :)

atrium-768x383.jpg

I'm an expat that came here in 2008 :) our local agents buy an x amount of cabins on the ship and we're able to go from malta-malta. I'm booked on a cruise that embarks from Rome but I will start and stop here.

Either way I found it interesting that the press conference mentioned a newly refurbished spirit that comes here by the summer, but the january drydock has been scrapped?

I'm new to cruising(1st timer) and was hoping a bit for a for some work to be done on the spirit, but looks like a lot of mixed messages whether the big refurbishment will happen before the summer or not?

We were on the Spirit in December and it is the oldest ship in the NCL fleet but it was in very good shape for the most part. You may actually hope much doesn't change if there is a drydock since it has a unique, beautiful Asian decor as some of the pics above show. Also, search for a review by computerworks as it has tons of pics.

When we did the BTS tour the guide mentioned that the Spirit had more frequent drydocks due to age (like every 3 years) so this timing would make sense based on 3 years with my guess the overhaul will be later. Just my guess on the few pieces of info out there.

The other interesting thing when in Malta we were eating a breakfast and looking out the windows and a sub came into the channel - mostly submerged. Don't know from what country.

Edited by dexddd

Hey all

This post has inspired me to write a post about my favourite ship. I absolutely love the Norwegian Spirit and hope that they don't change it too much in the refurb! I hope that they don't change the atrium or the pub...

http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/10/15/ncls-norwegian-spirit-my-favourite-cruise-ship/

It's really interesting to look at pictures of the ship when it was owned by star cruises vs now. See below the atrium :)

atrium-768x383.jpg

The photo on the left is SuperStar Virgo, Norwegian Spirit's sistership that's still with Star Cruises in Asia.

Spirit's atrium is almost untouched from when Star owned it.

I was surprised to see the edge program had 4 ships being redone in the spring of 2017. I figured this could change just like Jade delay after I booked her for Nov this year only to find out her dry dock was rescheduled from Oct to the spring. My guess is Spirit will be delayed till the fall of 2017 or will be sold. I am booked on her for Jan 2018 to the Canary Uslands... Makes me wonder if her futures is in jeopardy as well as my cruise.

I was surprised to see the edge program had 4 ships being redone in the spring of 2017. I figured this could change just like Jade delay after I booked her for Nov this year only to find out her dry dock was rescheduled from Oct to the spring. My guess is Spirit will be delayed till the fall of 2017 or will be sold. I am booked on her for Jan 2018 to the Canary Uslands... Makes me wonder if her futures is in jeopardy as well as my cruise.

Others have made mention of it being sold. I'm not sure - seems to do well in the Med and holds fairly good pricing.

I have read comments here stating that FDR basically wants to do a total gut job on the Spirit, and totally remove all the Asian decor and influence. He wants to modernize her, and "Breakaway" her. I have seen. That mentioned several times on here. If I can find a thread, I will link to it.

Edited by UPNYGuy

The May 23rd cruise for 11 nights Venice to Barcelona has become unavailable on any website in the past few days......

We have been tracking it, and find it hard to believe it has sold out!!

I think you mean April 23rd. We are booked on this cruise. I have called NCL about this twice and both times been told it's definitely sold out. It's been sold out for the past few weeks, and I am amazed as I've never seen a cruise sold out so long in advance. I think it's such a popular one as there are no other cruises longer than 7 days sailing out of Venice from spring through summer, and the cruise after ours has had their itinerary completely changed so possibly many people on that cruise may have changed to this one. Also after the May 4 cruise the Spirit will no longer be leaving from Venice.

For awhile there I was concerned this cruise was removed due to a drydock that we have yet to be informed about, but it seems to be confirmed that there will just be a short drydock from 16 - 21 Jan.

I have read comments here stating that FDR basically wants to do a total gut job on the Spirit, and totally remove all the Asian decor and influence. He wants to modernize her, and "Breakaway" her. I have seen. That mentioned several times on here. If I can find a thread, I will link to it.

This would be a shame. She's a beautiful ship. Older class can be so much nicer than modern glitz.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you mean April 23rd. We are booked on this cruise. I have called NCL about this twice and both times been told it's definitely sold out. It's been sold out for the past few weeks, and I am amazed as I've never seen a cruise sold out so long in advance. I think it's such a popular one as there are no other cruises longer than 7 days sailing out of Venice from spring through summer, and the cruise after ours has had their itinerary completely changed so possibly many people on that cruise may have changed to this one. Also after the May 4 cruise the Spirit will no longer be leaving from Venice.

For awhile there I was concerned this cruise was removed due to a drydock that we have yet to be informed about, but it seems to be confirmed that there will just be a short drydock from 16 - 21 Jan.

I would think part of the problem is this http://singleslovetravel.com/Page/GrandMediterraneanSinglesCruise

That charter might have earmarked a huge allocation of cabins, and then they'll be released after January 16.

I would think part of the problem is this http://singleslovetravel.com/Page/GrandMediterraneanSinglesCruise

That charter might have earmarked a huge allocation of cabins, and then they'll be released after January 16.

Ah, I suspect you're right, that makes perfect sense. It must be a big whack of cabins to be sold out alteady! Unfair for those who want to book it but I guess this is how things work.

How did you come across this info? It's a great option for singles who don't want to cruise alone.

As I have the Spirit booked for Jan 2018.....I was expecting a newly redesigned ship. The NCL web site had 4 ships listed on the edge program for 2017 refurbishments, one of them was the Spirit. Well I just looked at the list and it has changed....2 ships for 2017 the Jade and Pearl. The Jewel is now listed for 2018....the Spirit is not listed at all. If the Spirit is going to leave the fleet or head to China I sure hope they tell me so I don't spend the next year thinking I am sailing on the Spirit to the Canary Islands and holding onto my deposit till the last minute.

As I have the Spirit booked for Jan 2018.....I was expecting a newly redesigned ship. The NCL web site had 4 ships listed on the edge program for 2017 refurbishments, one of them was the Spirit. Well I just looked at the list and it has changed....2 ships for 2017 the Jade and Pearl. The Jewel is now listed for 2018....the Spirit is not listed at all. If the Spirit is going to leave the fleet or head to China I sure hope they tell me so I don't spend the next year thinking I am sailing on the Spirit to the Canary Islands and holding onto my deposit till the last minute.

Exactly! I have a B2B on the Spirit in 9/2017. I just finish paying for one and half on the other. Im also scared to book airlines and hotels ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's really awful that you have to worry about whether your trip will go ahead and NCL can't give you any definitive answer. Is there an alternate cruiseline that has a similar itinerary at around the same time that you could book as a second choice? Just as an insurance policy. That way if Spirit is cancelled you have an alternate option, and if not then you just cancel the other cruise prior to final payment. I would also book fully refundable accommodation in your start and end ports, and maybe hold off on air as long as possible.

Hopefully all will be fine, and your worries will be unfounded, but it's so unfair that you have to worry about this at all! If there are any plans to sell the ship or relocate it, they should not be selling these cruises.

• 1 month later...