HAL MDR evening dining room and baseball caps?

baseball caps on a sunny day out by the pool, of course. any other time NO !

hey navybankerteacher how are you? we were on the prinsendam with you TA in 2014. doing same TA on the Koningsdam this year.

I've never seen a baseball hat in a HAL dining room. Never.

I wear many hats - fedoras, baseball, flat capa, newsboys, etc. for reasons that are medical in nature. I don't wear to eat but will wear around a ship inside. Never judge because you have no idea why someone may be doing what they do.

Are you asking because you have some sort of medical or psychological condition that requires you to keep your head covered even when going to the MDR or causes you discomfiture should you observe a stranger wearing a hat in the MDR?

Outside of those two cases, I'm unsure why someone who's cleaned up and dressed nicely to go to dinner would then put on a ball cap, nor do I know why one would be concerned whether or not some stranger across the room did so.

Thank you, gpb11 - IMO your Post above said all that needed saying ... in fact, I did not take the OP as a serious question or one that deserved a response. But here we are some 50+ Posts later, with the entertainment only a litany of unneeded advice (at least, unneeded by anyone with any manners or common sense) and confessions could provide.

Smooth sailing (with or without your ball caps, cowboy hats, top hats and assorted other fedoras) to all ...

Thank you, gpb11 - IMO your Post above said all that needed saying ... in fact, I did not take the OP as a serious question or one that deserved a response. But here we are some 50+ Posts later, with the entertainment only a litany of unneeded advice (at least, unneeded by anyone with any manners or common sense) and confessions could provide.

Smooth sailing (with or without your ball caps, cowboy hats, top hats and assorted other fedoras) to all ...

Logical answers have been provided. You have dismissed them. Please try to be more accepting of others as you don't always know the situation and should not jump to conclusions.

Logical answers have been provided. You have dismissed them. Please try to be more accepting of others as you don't always know the situation and should not jump to conclusions.

Just because the "answers" were "logical" does not make them necessary (at least, not to anyone who has any manners or common sense), which is exactly the point I was making. But rather than attack you for your suggestion (actually it was more of a scolding) that I should be more accepting and not jump to conclusions, I'll just add your Post to my collection of entertaining CC Posts. Thanks.

Edited by avian777

Just because the "answers" were "logical" does not make them necessary (at least, not to anyone who has any manners or common sense)...

As is proven time and time again on this board and all over the internet, there are quite a few people out there who lack manners and common sense :)

Just because the "answers" were "logical" does not make them necessary (at least, not to anyone who has any manners or common sense), which is exactly the point I was making. But rather than attack you for your suggestion (actually it was more of a scolding) that I should be more accepting and not jump to conclusions, I'll just add your Post to my collection of entertaining CC Posts. Thanks.

You are right, some people just do not have manners or common sense.

As is proven time and time again on this board and all over the internet, there are quite a few people out there who lack manners and common sense :)

Here is a thought, introduce yourself to someone with a hello and make a friend. It sure beats silently judging someone for wearing a hat. You may learn a bit about life, compassion, and humility. Cancer survivors are the strongest people out there and to judge one for wearing a hat because they may be sensitive to hair loss or a scar is very shallow. You can be a good person, or you can pretend you are superior to another. But you can not do both in this world.

Just because I don't wear a hat to dinner doesn't make me better than anyone else. They may have very legitimate reasons, or even not so legitimate ones, but it's really not my problem. I was raised not to judge others or look down on them. I like to meet people and educate myself. Apparently many on HAL are older generations who think manners are about what you wear, not how you act.

Edited by LMaxwell

Are you asking because you have some sort of medical or psychological condition that requires you to keep your head covered even when going to the MDR or causes you discomfiture should you observe a stranger wearing a hat in the MDR?

Outside of those two cases, I'm unsure why someone who's cleaned up and dressed nicely to go to dinner would then put on a ball cap, nor do I know why one would be concerned whether or not some stranger across the room did so.

It amazes me that someone would spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and then spend a portion of the cruise obsessing about what some stranger across the room has on his head. Which affects the meal more? The head gear or the obsession?

Here is a thought, introduce yourself to someone with a hello and make a friend. It sure beats silently judging someone for wearing a hat. You may learn a bit about life, compassion, and humility. Cancer survivors are the strongest people out there and to judge one for wearing a hat because they may be sensitive to hair loss or a scar is very shallow. You can be a good person, or you can pretend you are superior to another. But you can not do both in this world.

Just because I don't wear a hat to dinner doesn't make me better than anyone else. They may have very legitimate reasons, or even not so legitimate ones, but it's really not my problem. I was raised not to judge others or look down on them. I like to meet people and educate myself. Apparently many on HAL are older generations who think manners are about what you wear, not how you act.

You ever notice the people that judge everyone they see on face value and have that "I can't imagine a good excuse" attitude ? They are the same ones that will lay on a hearts and violins , they are the only one's to go through this saga, when someone questions them. :)

Apparently many on HAL are older generations who think manners are about what you wear, not how you act.

I'm 41... hardly one of the "older generations." If someone has a legitimate medical need to cover their head, it's none of my business. I'm not going to ask someone why their head is covered. But there is a time and a place for everything, and the MDR is neither the time nor the place to wear a baseball cap. There are plenty of other more suitable head coverings that can be worn in that situation.

It is a big deal about absolutely nothing. Why on earth judge someone by what they are wearing?

Relax. Don't get so darn uptight even before your cruise starts. Go with the flow and give folks a little leeway. Why on earth judge everyone by your standards? It makes for a very boring world.

We need more MYOB and more live and let live.

Why on earth would someone be so arrogant that they believe that another person has to have an 'excuse' to wear something that he/she does not approve of?

Edited by iancal

I'm 41... hardly one of the "older generations." If someone has a legitimate medical need to cover their head, it's none of my business. I'm not going to ask someone why their head is covered. But there is a time and a place for everything, and the MDR is neither the time nor the place to wear a baseball cap. There are plenty of other more suitable head coverings that can be worn in that situation.

Someone that is sensitive to their scars should not be banished from the MDR and the food and service they have paid for. If they feel more comfortable with a cap on, that is their decision. If they are sitting down and being served, HAL has allowed that as suitable. As a matter of fact, there is nothing in HAL's dress code that prohibits the wearing of a hat by either gender.

You ever notice the people that judge everyone they see on face value and have that "I can't imagine a good excuse" attitude ? They are the same ones that will lay on a hearts and violins , they are the only one's to go through this saga, when someone questions them. :)

Or how those that profess to not even own a hat can somehow be subject matter experts on them ;)

It is a big deal about absolutely nothing. Why on earth judge someone by what they are wearing?

Relax. Don't get so darn uptight even before your cruise starts. Go with the flow and give folks a little leeway. Why on earth judge everyone by your standards? It makes for a very boring world.

Why on earth would someone be so arrogant that they believe that another person has to have an 'excuse' to wear something that he/she does not approve of?

You and yours are welcome at my table; first bottle is on us.

This reminds me of a Bum Phillips quote.

"Mama always said that if it can't rain on you, you're indoors." (Explaining why he wouldn't wear his cowboy hat in the Astrodome, the first domed stadium)

I think in this discussion we need first to review the correct etiquette for wearing a ball cap. The standard way is with the visor forward. The "Off" position is in which the visor is Backward. And the "locked" position is with the visor to the side. Personally, I think the Locked position ought to be allowed in all circumstances. (Stated with tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

Scott & Karen

Originally Posted by LMaxwell viewpost.gif

Apparently many on HAL are older generations who think manners are about what you wear, not how you act.

I am of the "older generation" and know that manners are about what you wear, how you act and a whole lot more.

As the OP, I asked my question because I was considering a first time cruise on HAL. Seemed a simple question to ask. :)

I am considering a first time cruise on HAL. I've read dress codes are strictly enforced for evening dining in MDR.

So, is it OK on HAL for gents to wear their baseball caps when dining in the MDR? Talking about evening sitting.

The reason I ask is that I noticed gents wearing baseball caps at dinner in MDR on a recent Princess cruise.

. Princess is pretty specific that "wearing baseball caps at dinner is not permitted in MDR, Crown Grill, Sabatinis, during all evening hours." , and I was not aware when I wrote my OP of the HAL dress code policy. And if strictly enforced.

So, I finally found this on the HAL website. Just to reiterate, I don't wear a baseball cap at dinner. I do wear a hat when outdoors. My eyes are sensitive to bright light, ambient or artificial, so the brow of any hat helps shade my eyes. And just to clarify, for me, I could care less what folks wear when dining in the MDR, or how one uses their knife and fork (someone here, was appalled at seeing a fellow table mate stir coffee with fork. :) ). As long as the PAX doesn't smell due to bad hygiene or wearing overpowering too much perfume. :(

I for one, am bothered by folks who apply way too much perfume. Like they took a shower in it. :mad: Can't taste my food, when all I smell is their perfume. I wonder if they can taste their food either. :)

Enjoy your cruise. I do.

From HAL website:

FOR BOOKED GUESTS PRINT THIS PAGE

Guest Attire

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I think in this discussion we need first to review the correct etiquette for wearing a ball cap. The standard way is with the visor forward. The "Off" position is in which the visor is Backward. And the "locked" position is with the visor to the side. Personally, I think the Locked position ought to be allowed in all circumstances. (Stated with tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

Scott & Karen

Wheres the "Like" button?...oh wait this is not Facebook

Scott & Karen

And in the same tongue and cheek.......I have seen some real nasty toupe's in my life!

Edited by SC_GAY_Cruiser
delete

Someone that is sensitive to their scars should not be banished from the MDR and the food and service they have paid for.

I've asked my English husband, who is bald and has a number of epilepsy-related scars on his face and head his view on the topic and he says that if a man wears a baseball cap to dinner, then "the chap either lacks decorum or is American."

However, he appreciates your interest in defending his right to wear a baseball cap to dinner should he decide to relinquish is British citizenship and cover his own scars and lack of hair :D

Scott & Karen

And in the same tongue and cheek.......I have seen some real nasty toupe's in my life! :eek:

I've asked my English husband, who is bald and has a number of epilepsy-related scars on his face and head his view on the topic and he says that if a man wears a baseball cap to dinner, then "the chap either lacks decorum or is American."

However, he appreciates your interest in defending his right to wear a baseball cap to dinner should he decide to relinquish is British citizenship and cover his own scars and lack of hair :D

Spot on, ExpatBride - well said!!!

Exactly! And for those who do judge, I have never worn a hat in the MDR or in the Lido either for that matter.