Adult only pool on HAL

OceanMonarch

Understand that, But according to Copper10-8 the ships Officers make the decision about the "adults only" pool & it is then posted in the daily newsletter.. I found Coppers's Post 19 in a 2008 thread..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=817247&highlight=oosterdam+adults+only+pool

However this poster stated that she let her 13 year old swim in the adult pool only because she "paid an adult fare" for him! That is what I'm questioning since the original OP stated the AFT pool was for "Adults only" & the staff enforced it on her cruise.. Was this poster on the same cruise & if so when another poster asked her what the AFT pool sign said she completely ignored that question.. Did the sign say "Adults Only" or is she using one of the signs which you posted as her excuse for letting her 13 year old swim..

That is only what I'm questioning..It would help if Copper or perhaps the original OP saw this thread & had a picture of the pool signs on the Oosterdam today..

On many ships I have seen a sign stating adults only as you come out the door from the Lido on the nonsmoking side going to the aft pool.

On our March cruise they printed signs that said Family Pool and posted them around the indoor pool a few days into the cruise. I guess this was an attempt to keep the kids in there.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Hold your calls, folks. We have a winner!

When there is a clearly marked "adults only" area, and the adult allows their "well behaved" non-adult to enter, they are not only giving the child permission to break rules, but they are also telling all the other children that it's all right to break rules. "If he can go there, so can I." Those kids may not be so well behaved.

Adults have earned the right to some space of their own, especially when there is another place that serves the same purpose for the kids.

I always knew you were a wise woman, Ruth:)

I was thinking about the previous post with the "well behaved child" . That like food is very subjective. Too many parents think Johnny is so cute as he misbehaves and every one else is annoyed by his behavior.

On our March Zuiderdam cruise there were some adorable well behaved kids in the aft pool but there were also a bunch of older teens who did cannonballs and skimmed their football across the pool and made it obvious we were in their way.

You can't have an adults only pool and let in the "good" kids but keep out the disruptive ones.And you are so right, there is another pool.

Our experience with the rowdy kids happened every sea day more than once a day and we are now seriously considering our next cruise on Celebrity because they enforce the no kids in the Solarium pool.

I love HAL, but I spend most of the day in the pool and do not like being jumped on or hit with the ball. Not my idea of relaxing sea day.

If I want to swim with a bunch of kids I'll go on Disney. I'm not a kid hater, I just raised my to be considerate of others and that seems a lost art.

Again completely agree ladies! I bolded your sentences too..

I always knew you were a wise woman, Ruth:)

I was thinking about the previous post with the "well behaved child" . That like food is very subjective. Too many parents think Johnny is so cute as he misbehaves and every one else is annoyed by his behavior.

On our March Zuiderdam cruise there were some adorable well behaved kids in the aft pool but there were also a bunch of older teens who did cannonballs and skimmed their football across the pool and made it obvious we were in their way.

You can't have an adults only pool and let in the "good" kids but keep out the disruptive ones.

And you are so right, there is another pool.

Our experience with the rowdy kids happened every sea day more than once a day and we are now seriously considering our next cruise on Celebrity because they enforce the no kids in the Solarium pool.

I love HAL, but I spend most of the day in the pool and do not like being jumped on or hit with the ball. Not my idea of relaxing sea day.

If I want to swim with a bunch of kids I'll go on Disney. I'm not a kid hater, I just raised my to be considerate of others and that seems a lost art.

Don't be so sure about Celebrity either. We were just on the Summit and there was a family who came into the Solarium pool with a little girl and a baby every sea day. They pretty much took him out if he started fussing but it still is not fair to the other adults in there or other kids who may have wanted to use the pool in there. Nobody said anything to the family with the kids.

Don't be so sure about Celebrity either. We were just on the Summit and there was a family who came into the Solarium pool with a little girl and a baby every sea day. They pretty much took him out if he started fussing but it still is not fair to the other adults in there or other kids who may have wanted to use the pool in there. Nobody said anything to the family with the kids.

We were on the Summit in May and a family came in with kids and an attendant stopped them when they were on the stairs getting in. I was very impressed.

OP. Just to clarify matters there were 2 laminated signs attached to the outdoor showers at the Seaview pool stating the pool was for adults only. 2 officers and an attendant confirmed this and added that the 2 hot tubs were just for the use of over 18's too. The hot tub signage somewhat contradicts this message as I have previously stated. However, these signs are likely original to the ship and difficult to remove since they mention the safety aspects of using hot tubs.

The rule was pretty much enforced from the 3rd day of our cruise probably because there were many children on this sailing.

We were on the Summit in May and a family came in with kids and an attendant stopped them when they were on the stairs getting in. I was very impressed.

We were on Summit in June. Just goes to show that it depends on who is on watch. Some folks do their job very well and some do not, just like everywhere.

The only time I ever reported kids in the Solarium was one time on RC because a woman brought several kids in the hot tub and they were not well behaved. Security came right away that time and chased them all out. Everyone was clapping; then I felt bad.

DW and I spend a lot of time in the Solarium when on Celebrity cruises, usually onboard the Eclipse, but have only once seen a child there. Child and mother were asked to leave.

I must say that I had mixed emotions about them being asked to leave. On the one hand, we love the serenity of the Solarium and we spend hours there reading, relaxing and taking the occasional dip in the pool. The wonderful tranquility would soon disappear if the Solarium became an area open to all.

On the other hand, the young mother and her daughter, perhaps four years old, were as quiet as church mice and kept to one corner of the pool. A number of other passengers smiled at them and went over to chat, saying how well behaved the child was. Clearly, the presence of the child was upsetting no one. Well, almost no one. Unfortunately, there was one middle-aged woman at the opposite end of the pool who both knew the rules and wanted them enforced. Having glared at the offenders for a minute or two, she called out to a passing security crew member and loudly demanded that mother and daughter be made to leave. Immediately!!!

The security official approached them, explained to the clearly puzzled young mother what the problem was and asked her in a kind manner to take her daughter and leave, which they did. A number of passengers told the crew member that the child wasn't making any noise, splashing or otherwise making a nuisance of herself, and asked if she could just be allowed to finish her time in the pool. The security team member replied that she'd like to be able to let her stay for a while, but she was obliged to enforce the rules. One could almost read her thoughts that, were it not for the presence of the complainant, she'd be happy to let the little girl stay to finish her "swim"!

The self-satisfied complainant smiled triumphantly as mother and child departed, happy in the knowledge that the rules had been enforced but totally oblivious to the dirty looks being given her by the other passengers. It was clear that, given the choice of who to vote off the island, the other passengers would have kept the child and turned thumbs down for the complainant.

Yes, the rules are there and serve a good purpose, but sometimes it wouldn't hurt to look the other way, if only for a few minutes...

[quote name=Fouremco;50630928

Yes' date=' the rules are there and serve a good purpose, but sometimes it wouldn't hurt to look the other way, if only for a few minutes...[/quote]

Gee, this applies to so many aspects of cruising besides swimming pool use - and life in general - MDR dress code, cutting lines, etc. Now, noisy, splashing kids, or babes in diapers (health hazard) - that's another issue.

Well said. We all need to take a chill pill once in a while!

... Yes, the rules are there and serve a good purpose, but sometimes it wouldn't hurt to look the other way, if only for a few minutes...

Thanks, Fouremco, for adding your voice of reason and compassion. If only more people could see the bigger picture in life and realize that not all rules need to be strictly enforced all the time and in all circumstances, this would be a much nicer world.

Gee, this applies to so many aspects of cruising besides swimming pool use - and life in general - MDR dress code, cutting lines, etc. ... Well said. We all need to take a chill pill once in a while!

Ditto, pv girl!!!

Thanks, Fouremco, for adding your voice of reason and compassion. If only more people could see the bigger picture in life and realize that not all rules need to be strictly enforced all the time and in all circumstances, this would be a much nicer world.
Funny, you're the one who jumped all over me when I once told someone that it would be OK for a group of Mariners to bring along one non-Mariner friend to the embarkation lunch (before it became open to all). :rolleyes:

You mean like wearing a hat in the MDR?

;)

If a sign was posted no one under 18 I would not have even let my 17 sit there. If it was under 18 must be accompanied by an adult I would allow the 17 year old to go with the 21 year old brother. I am a rule follower and I hope my kids learned that. Actually I know they have.

If anyone wants a pool that is truly adult only sail on Disney. There is absolutely zero leeway in their age requirements.

Yes, until a mother with a screaming four-year-old enters the adult pool and when asked to leave, points to the other mother/daughter stating "You let them stay!" That's a bigger picture, also.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]People have a right to clear rules, equitably and consistently applied. If there is supposed to be a child-free zone, and an adult goes there, that adult has a right to expect no children will be allowed, and will be removed if they are.
If the rules don't spell out exceptions regarding behavior, then children aren't allowed---period. It's when application is wishy-washy that things go downhill.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm all about following the rules with our kids. As a parent who travels with younger kids on HAL, I just want to know what those rules are when booking and then find them to be the same once I get onboard.

If I read in advance from HAL that the aft pool rules are "under 18 must be accompanied by an adult", then fine... I just don't want to then find a sign at that pool that says "adults only" once I get onboard. This goes back to the "consistency" issue that so many other people have posted about.

The comparison of adults going to the kids clubs is a bit ludicrous. Securing those areas is an issue of safety and liability. Allowing kids in a swimming pool is an issue of permission (or tolerance ;)).

We have largely sailed Disney recently and they do an excellent job of defining what areas are adults only and during which times. This information is available in advance and consistent across their ships.