Brooklyn Cruise Terminal As Port Of Call

Teddy123

About to visit BCT (twice) as a port of call on a Queen Mary 2 cruise Southampton - NY - Quebec, and back again. I've read the helpful stuff here - thanks to everyone who has contributed - but would welcome some additional/up to date info about visiting Manhattan (from Central Park south) while in BCT for the day - so no heavy luggage.

In particular:

I understand a walk to Carroll St subway station might be the best public transport option (a better walk than to 9th/Smith and I prefer to walk to a subway because of fear of missing the stop to get off a 61 bus! - or is it very clear?). Can I get a MetroCard at the subway station? The MTA website says The Check Cashing Place across Carroll Park sells them, is this the best option? Anything else I should know about the card or getting in by public transport?

Cunard say they can't tell me what options they will offer until after we sail - very helpful! I have read of a return transfer to Macey's being offered but would welcome up to date info from anybody who has travelled recently.

Booking a car (eg with Dial 7 - any other recommendations?) is attractive but I have no real idea what time to book it for. Any experience of when I might get off the ship if it's just a port of call? Cunard say we should arrive at 06.30. I assume immigration is still involved even though disembarking luggage isn't. Should I also think about booking a car back? This would be somewhat constraining but I read horror stories of huge taxi bills because the cab is stuck in traffic from embarking passengers. Of course, I could possibly get the subway back, or perhaps even walk it over the Brooklyn Bridge.

Lots of questions! but any answers or other input to help smooth the way to/from Manhattan would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The tours offered by Cunard will depend entirely on how many passengers will remain with the ship. If all but a handful are disembarking there won't be anything offered except transfers.

If offered, the shuttle to Macy's will be the easiest for you since you will have a direct ride from the Redhook terminal. The bus will drop off at Macy's and there will be an afternoon pickup time and point.

The Carroll Street subway stop is a bit of a hike and involves going under a highway overpass. It's on the F train line and yes, you can buy a Metro fare card in the subway station by US currency or credit/debit card.

If you are just going ashore for the day you can leave the ship as soon as it clears US authorities, about 7AM.

Thanks. Given how long ago this cruise went on sale and how quickly it gets booked up, I find it difficult to believe Cunard don't already have a good idea of numbers!

A transfer to Macy's would be convenient, but as far as I can see from other posts might cost $50 instead of $5 on the subway; also it would be an extra constraint to have to get back up from southern Manhattan to get the return bus. Worth considering though.

Thanks again for all the info.

Thanks. Given how long ago this cruise went on sale and how quickly it gets booked up, I find it difficult to believe Cunard don't already have a good idea of numbers!

A transfer to Macy's would be convenient, but as far as I can see from other posts might cost $50 instead of $5 on the subway; also it would be an extra constraint to have to get back up from southern Manhattan to get the return bus. Worth considering though.

Thanks again for all the info.

Perhaps for the return journey,

https://www.nywatertaxi.com/ikea

also have you considered pre booking a taxi once through port authority

There are always plenty of the green taxis waiting outside Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/arecibo-car-service-brooklyn-2?osq=Taxi+Service

Edited by Pennbank

We visited NY last year and used the Macy's drop off/pick up. I'm sure it was overpriced compared to the alternatives. However, while we were enjoying our day, it started to rain, and then it poured and before long there were flash floods. We went to the pick up point but it became apparent that the whole city was at a standstill - travel by taxi would have been very difficult indeed. We waited for the buses to arrive - which they did eventually- but they were pretty late. I was really glad we weren't trying to get ourselves back to the ship as it would have been quite stressful.

I guess we might have been OK on the subway, but I'm sure it would have been very busy.

I guess it comes down to how confident you are at finding your way around if things don't go quite to plan.

Thanks for the insight. We've travelled all over Europe, Australasia and N America - mostly NOT on cruises - and often do our own thing for shore trips, so that's not too much of a problem IF I've got info in advance, which is why forums like this and the replies are helpful, once I've exhausted all the info on websites!

Teddy: You will probably get some more responses from native New Yorkers as time goes on. I am not from New York, but have passed through the Red Hook terminal several times. I just now looked at a Google map of the Red Hook area and the nearest subway stops. They are a very long walk from the terminal, and believe me, it's not very scenic, just downright unpleasant. It's an industrial area, period. Yes, you can walk, but you won't have fun. I admire your commitment to public transit (I share that) and your desire to DIY, but this may be a bit of a stretch. The Cunard shuttle to Macy's may be your best bet. If you have some extra cash, take a cab or a car service (like the 7s). Last comment: We arrived at Red Hook on July 1, just a few weeks ago. The immigration process was extremely slow for everyone. They just could not handle the crowd expeditiously. So plan to spend at least an hour standing in line, maybe longer.

Thanks. The walk to 9th/Smith St subway station looks pretty bleak, but although Carroll St is a bit further, the surroundings seems reasonable. The great unknown of immigration (and other) delays is one reason for me looking at the subway as an option - thanks for sharing your experience. If I order a car, it may turn out to be much too early or much too late! It's a pity Cunard can't provide any information about a possible Macy's transfer (eg timings) - I simply can't believe they don't yet know (to sufficient accuracy) how many people are disembarking in NY.

Thanks. The walk to 9th/Smith St subway station looks pretty bleak, but although Carroll St is a bit further, the surroundings seems reasonable. The great unknown of immigration (and other) delays is one reason for me looking at the subway as an option - thanks for sharing your experience. If I order a car, it may turn out to be much too early or much too late! It's a pity Cunard can't provide any information about a possible Macy's transfer (eg timings) - I simply can't believe they don't yet know (to sufficient accuracy) how many people are disembarking in NY.

When I did a roundtrip a couple of years ago, people on the Manhattan Transfer had to meet in the Theatre at 7.00am. People on the New York Highlights Tour had to meet at 7.15am.

Edit: from my notes:

We were told that there aren't many people doing the round trip and the only excursions we've been offered are:

NYC123 Lower Manhattan & 9/11 Memorial. 8.15am-12.15pm. Activity level: high - $94

NYC142A New York Highlights, 7.45am-11.45am. Activity level: low. $72

Manhattan Transfer 7.30am-4pm (pick up 3pm). $50

Edited by Ray66

You could walk 20 minutes to IKEA and take the IKEA water taxi ($5 weekdays, free on weekends) to pier 11 near the South Street Seaport. Red Hook is gentfrifying. Stop at Baked in Van Brunt Street on your way, if you must.

Edited by Underwatr

The walk from the ship to Carrol street is quite do-able without luggage. Once you get out of the port area it can be a pleasant walk (about 20 minutes) through a typical Brooklyn neighborhood. The trip into Manhattan is about 20 minutes on the subway and the process is quite efficient and simple.

There are taxis that meet the ship so having a car service or prebooking a taxi isn't really necessary. If you return via taxi there is a small chance the driver will not know the exact route back to the port but a bit of advice from you will sort it out.

A suggestion on the return: ask to be taken over the Brooklyn bridge instead of through the tunnel. It adds a small amount to the price but you get to see great views of both Brooklyn and Manhattan not to mention a glimpse of your ship as you cross the bridge. You pay for transportation and the sight seeing is free.

In defense of NYC taxi drivers: Almost without exception NYC taxi drivers just want to get you from point A to point B without any monkey business. Stories of being driven around in circles just to run up the meter are EXTREMELY rare these days. Yes, they expect and occasionally demand a tip but .....hey it's New York.....fo get about it....

The walk from the ship to Carrol street is quite do-able without luggage. Once you get out of the port area it can be a pleasant walk (about 20 minutes) through a typical Brooklyn neighborhood. The trip into Manhattan is about 20 minutes on the subway and the process is quite efficient and simple.

There are taxis that meet the ship so having a car service or prebooking a taxi isn't really necessary. If you return via taxi there is a small chance the driver will not know the exact route back to the port but a bit of advice from you will sort it out.

A suggestion on the return: ask to be taken over the Brooklyn bridge instead of through the tunnel. It adds a small amount to the price but you get to see great views of both Brooklyn and Manhattan not to mention a glimpse of your ship as you cross the bridge. You pay for transportation and the sight seeing is free.

In defense of NYC taxi drivers: Almost without exception NYC taxi drivers just want to get you from point A to point B without any monkey business. Stories of being driven around in circles just to run up the meter are EXTREMELY rare these days. Yes, they expect and occasionally demand a tip but .....hey it's New York.....fo get about it....

Hi old fool. I was born in Brooklyn, so I hope you don't mind if I disagree with your comment "Once you get out of the port area it can be a pleasant walk (about 20 minutes) through a typical Brooklyn neighborhood." I wouldn't consider that a typical Brooklyn neighborhood, but then I'm at a loss for what would be typical Brooklyn neighborhood. (Maybe some day we'll meet on board and have that interesting discussion.):)

Your comment about NYC Taxi drivers is spot on.

TEDDY, Here's a suggestion: take a taxi from the pier to the Brooklyn Bridge [see http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/walking-the-brooklyn-bridge/ ]

Walk over the bridge to Manhattan and either take a bus, subway or taxi to where you want to go. BTW, just my personal suggestion as a native New Yorker: do not buy a hot dog from a street vendor. Just sayin'

:) -S.

Edited by Salacia

Hi old fool. I was born in Brooklyn, so I hope you don't mind if I disagree with your comment "Once you get out of the port area it can be a pleasant walk (about 20 minutes) through a typical Brooklyn neighborhood." I wouldn't consider that a typical Brooklyn neighborhood, but then I'm at a loss for what would be typical Brooklyn neighborhood. (Maybe some day we'll meet on board and have that interesting discussion.):)

Your comment about NYC Taxi drivers is spot on.

TEDDY, Here's a suggestion: take a taxi from the pier to the Brooklyn Bridge [see http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/walking-the-brooklyn-bridge/ ]

Walk over the bridge to Manhattan and either take a bus, subway or taxi to where you want to go. BTW, just my personal suggestion as a native New Yorker: do not buy a hot dog from a street vendor. Just sayin'

:) -S.

Yes, I second the idea to take a taxi and then walk across the Brooklyn bridge. Everyone needs to do this at least once in a lifetime. A great chance to see and feel NYC; not just be a "tourist".

Good morning Old Fool.

I agree with you.

Indeed, most of what you say about the subway transfer i wrote in my review...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/24/one-way-to-do-new-york-brooklyn-to-central-park-via-the-highline-walk/

...which includes a photograph of what i described as a 'typical Brooklyn Street'...

Brooklynstreetscene1copySR_zpsd146d0e3.jpg

Richard.

PS. I also made your timing spot on.