Current Captains

lakemurraykid

14 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

Copper, do you ever get tired of these eternal questions? Just in case you don't, what can you tell me about who the officers will be on Maasdam for my Sept. 26-Oct. 17 voyage? I might be the only person here who cares about the Housekeeping Manager, but could you include that, if possible? Thanks so much in advance!

A more general question - I was on the 89 day grand Asia on Amsterdam last fall and would love to see some of that crew again. Do crew members tend to stay with one ship, or might I find some of those same folks on Maasdam now?

Not really, but thanx for asking! :classic_smile:

Maasie Sep/Oct:

Capt Arno Jutten & Ryan Whitaker (change over)

HD Florin Dragomir

GRM Francis Tolentino

Ex HK Sri Waluyo

As far as crew rotation/coming back and remaining on the same ship; it's all about seniority, where the need is (filling spaces), ship's management/supervision familiarity with a crew member's work product, and personal choice. Captains, chief engineers and, to a certain extent, hotel directors, tend to stay with the same ship for periods between three and five years, some longer, some shorter. Same can be said of other officers in the Deck, Tech and Hotel departments because having the same team as well as being familiar with the "ins and outs" of a certain ship is welcomed.

The real "worker bees" (non-officers - those contracts still fall in the 8-10 month time period)) rotate a bit more around the fleet however, some ask/request to come back to the same ship, at times due to the itinerary; some ships visit South-East Asia (incl. their homelands of Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand) more often than others. Some request their next contract to be on another ship for different reasons. So it can be a bit of a hodgepodge. To answer your question more specifically, it is very possible that you will see some of A'dam's crew from a year ago back on that co-flagship working a new contract during your upcoming voyage. Enjoy!-

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/27/2019 at 10:48 PM, Double D Cruisers said:

😎Thank you so much!  

Have sailed with Capt Fred Eversen and Henk Mensink .  Looking forward to another great voyage on Ms Amsterdam 😃.

Henk  Mensink?

When did he return to HAL ?

Last I knew he was working on "X" 🤷‍♀️

sail.noodam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

18 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Henk  Mensink?

When did he return to HAL ?

Last I knew he was working on "X" 🤷‍♀️

sail.noodam@gmail.com

HD Henk Mensink never left HAl, S7S - He's been the Grand World Voyage HD, along with his wife Cristel as GRM, on the Amsterdam since before Orlando Ashford appeared on scene. Perhaps you're thinking about HD Jan Willem Kuipers who left HAL for X

Henk Mensink was on the Amsterdam in 2010and 2012 when we were on her in Alaska. We have followed several world cruise blogs for the past several years, and he has been the HD every year including this year.

i guess we were posting at the same time.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

HD Henk Mensink never left HAl, S7S - He's been the Grand World Voyage HD, along with his wife Cristel as GRM, on the Amsterdam since before Orlando Ashford appeared on scene. Perhaps you're thinking about HD Jan Willem Kuipers who left HAL for X

I most respectfully mention to you  there was a big 'story' connected to his moving along...........  I do not mean this year or last  bu   it have been around  2006 - 2007.

IF you should feel like it, I don't need to tell you withwhom  I did speak around that  t ime.  🙂 You  likely have  a 'fair idea'.

17 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

I most respectfully mention to you  there was a big 'story' connected to his moving along...........  I do not mean this year or last  but it have been around  2006 - 2007.

IF you should feel like it, I don't need to tell you with whom  I did speak around that  time.  🙂 You  likely have  a 'fair idea

According to the below article, he joined HAL as F&B Manager in July 1994 and became hotel manager in 2001. This story was written around 2006-2007; he mentions sailing on Noordam in the summer of 2006 in Europe. He has been Amsterdam's HD on the GWV since 2008. I am not aware of him going to Celebrityn 1988,

Henk Mensink is one of this new bred of
cruise ship hotel managers. Mensink graduated from

hotel school in The Hague in the Netherlands and then took a
position with the Ritz Carlton Hotel
Company in Boston.  However, he had long
been interested in working on cruise ships -
- partially inspired by watching episodes of
the television series “The Love Boat” - -
and so he joined Holland America Line in
1994 as a Food and Beverage Manager.  In
2001, he became a hotel manager and has
done five world cruises or as HAL calls