Current Captains

lakemurraykid

10 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

:classic_wink:Stroopwafels 01.jpg

Stroopwafels - you grow up with these if you're Dutch

Comming soon to the US in Walmart.com as shop in shop "Hema Amsterdam" and as a real store "Hema Amsterdam" to Canada and yes, they will sell STROOPWAFELS and no, not the "rookworst". 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Comming soon to the US in Walmart.com as shop in shop "Hema Amsterdam" and as a real store "Hema Amsterdam" to Canada and yes, they will sell STROOPWAFELS and no, not the "rookworst". 😁

They actually are already selling stroopwafels here in some Starbucks stores and in places like World Market. I sure do remember the Hema stores while growing up in Amsterdam

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

They actually are already selling stroopwafels here in some Starbucks stores and in places like World Market. I sure do remember the Hema stores while growing up in Amsterdam

Can't  beat HEMA price 😉!

Was a press release a couple of weeks ago, it is really happening!

In Dutch: https://www.emerce.nl/nieuws/hema-vs-actief-walmartcom-canada-hemawinkels-shopinshops

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Oostie's captain will be Robert Jan Kan and her HD Amri Lanang Rachmat, which is a new name, and oh, there are Mickie D's in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka if you feel the urge for a "Stroopwafel" McFlurry :classic_wink:

Ketchikan is by the closest Mickie D now, about halfway between the cruise and ferry docks.  Juneau is pretty far to the north, near the airport.  I miss the one close by that closed a few years ago, although not as much as cruise ships started using unlimited wifi.

Roy

1 hour ago, Alphen said:

I love those!! I flew Frontier airlines last month and they offered them as one of their purchasable snacks.  Had them both directions.  Yum! The perfect thing with a cup of coffee.  United has them too, and they give them for free!  They've replaced peanuts and pretzels.  A big improvement!

7 hours ago, Moriah said:

I love those!! I flew Frontier airlines last month and they offered them as one of their purchasable snacks.  Had them both directions.  Yum! The perfect thing with a cup of coffee.  United has them too, and they give them for free!  They've replaced peanuts and pretzels.  A big improvement!

And a tip from Sailing Dutchy  if you have a coffee and a stroopwafel , lay the wafel for a minute or two on top of your warm cup of coffee that softens up the stroop  ( sirrup ) and makes it even more delicious . 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

Copper,

Is Captain Baijens still with HAL, or is he with Seabourn?

Kia ora Phil; Capt. Baaijens replaced Capt. Sijbe de Boer as Fleet Captain for the company in 2018. That means he'll visit all fourteen ships periodically to conduct quality control and assurance, give training and conduct investigations

4 hours ago, sailingdutchy said:

And a tip from Sailing Dutchy  if you have a coffee and a stroopwafel , lay the wafel for a minute or two on top of your warm cup of coffee that softens up the stroop  ( sirrup ) and makes it even more delicious . 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

And if you are realy creative:

d1abe1665d7becfbac48c5115c8b0fc1.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Kia ora Phil; Capt. Baaijens replaced Capt. Sijbe de Boer as Fleet Captain for the company in 2018. That means he'll visit all fourteen ships periodically to conduct quality control and assurance, give training and conduct investigations

Kia ora,

Thank you for your reply.

We sailed on Volendam with him, a very personable Captain. 

He would always stop to speak when we saw him on the ship. 

We were told that on the occasion of a crew member's birthday, he would always find the birthday person to wish them Happy Birthday and shake their hand .  We did see that happen with a wine waiter at dinner one evening.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Double D Cruisers said:

Hi Copper,

by chance would you know if the Tales of the South Pacific Voyage this October will have any Hawaiian Ambassadors onboard?  If you do know, who would they be?  Thank you so much!

Debbie

Evenin' Debbie

The Hawaiian Ambassadors are not HAL employees so, as such, I don't have any personal info - read names - for them, sorry! Having said that, long voyages such as the Tales of the South Pacific, most always have 2-4 Hawaiian Ambassadors sailing, giving lectures, classes, as well as playing music. Enjoy that voyage!

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Evenin' Debbie

The Hawaiian Ambassadors are not HAL employees so, as such, I don't have any personal info - read names - for them, sorry! Having said that, long voyages such as the Tales of the South Pacific, most always have 2-4 Hawaiian Ambassadors sailing, giving lectures, classes, as well as playing music. Enjoy that voyage!

Thank you Copper!  

31 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Is Captain Jeroen Schuchman new to Holland America?  I do not see him on Captain Albert's current Captain's list.  Like Debbie we are on the Amsterdam 51 day Tales of the South Pacific cruise this Fall.

Thank you!

Look under Amsterdam.  He has been on Prinsendam, first as Staff Captain and again as Master for just under 10 years, and was Prinsendam's final Captain.  A real nice guy.

Rou

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Look under Amsterdam.  He has been on Prinsendam, first as Staff Captain and again as Master for just under 10 years, and was Prinsendam's final Captain.  A real nice guy.

Rou

Fabulous!  Thank you so much.  My apologies for missing the information.  I appreciate your help.

36 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Fabulous!  Thank you so much.  My apologies for missing the information.  I appreciate your help.

It looks like you are on the Tails of the South Pacific and will have Captain Jeroen.  You are in for a real treat.  I sailed with him several times but only once as Master, on Prinsendam's final 80-day Grand South America.  He really went all out to make our journey special.  The Prinsendam was the last HAL ship with open bridge wings and I loved to be on the top deck watching sailaways.  Her he is leaving Barbados then as staff captain.  He is on the left next to Captain Tim Roberts:

welcomeroberts.jpg

Yes, he is quite tall.

Roy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Is Captain Jeroen Schuchman new to Holland America?  I do not see him on Captain Albert's current Captain's list.  Like Debbie we are on the Amsterdam 51 day Tales of the South Pacific cruise this Fall.

Thank you!

Nope; Capt. Schuchmann has been with HAL since 2005 and made captain in 2015 after serving several years as one of Prinsendam's two staff captains. He just got done delivering P-dam to German line Phoenix Reisen in Amsterdam on July 1st. He's slated to replace long-time Amsterdam Capt. Fred Eversen as one of her two masters on 14 Sep. Capt. Eversen will be assigned to another, yet unnamed, ship

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Himself said:

To Copper 10/8

From Himself:

John I was just reading a post above from Captain Albert and it left me with a question:   Is  Captain John Scott still with HAL?

Morning Father; yes, Captain Scott is still assigned to Noordam, along with Capt. Eric van der Wal 

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Morning Father; yes, Captain Scott is still assigned to Noordam, along with Capt. Eric van der Wal 

He has great tid bits of information and is just a wonderful man

• Like 1