Is golden princess drydocking in october 16

seems like golden princess has a fortnight gap in its program for october 2016 after its asia stint, does anyone know if this means a dry docking in singapore before coming down to oz for the summer season down here.

seems like golden princess has a fortnight gap in its program for october 2016 after its asia stint, does anyone know if this means a dry docking in singapore before coming down to oz for the summer season down here.

They seem to do a lot of charters in the Asia region, maybe that's what's going down.

No gap that I can see.

She leaves Beijing 17 Oct, 28 nights to Melbourne arriving 14 Nov, then 6 nights to Tassie returning 20 Nov, then 14 nights to the South Pacific returning 4 Dec, then 13 nights to NZ returning 17 Dec, another 13 nights to NZ returning 30 Dec.

She's been completely off the radar since we got off her in Hong Kong 27 Apr. Ships cruising out of China usually aren't available for non-China bookings at all. The Beijing departure is the first after she returns to normal booking status.

Why do you think there is a gap?

Of course there is nothing to say there isn't a dry dock buried among her off-the-radar calendar but if it was just prior to coming back to Aus then I would expect the repo cruise to start in Singapore, not Beijing.

Well lets say, if she goes into dry-dock for what ever. We might end up with new mattresses then.

I really thought they had to dry-dock for new matresses,learn something new every-day.

There's a lot they do while sailing.

Don't think I've ever been on a cruise where they weren't painting and varnishing.

One cruise the laundry was closed on each floor for a few days while they replaced machines, then the laundry on another level.

I love watching the loading of the ship while we wait to board, or when picking someone up, when you see some of what they load you start to realise how much work actually goes on during any cruise.

Had work done on our balcony a few times.

Last cruise replacing carpet, right through the ship.

Changing TVs to flat screen with on demand.

Basically they'll do as much as they can that will shorten the time in dry dock, but if it can be done in dry dock without extending the time, they'll do it in dry dock.

On Celebrity Century, a few months before she left the fleet they were doing lots of bits and pieces that we were told were to get ready for the new owners.

OMG after all these years I know have relised my stupidity and naivity.

After leaving the Royal New Zealand Navy after 6 yrs of service,i acquired a job at the naval dockyards.(H.M.N.Z.S Philomel).

Now whilst we were welding new hull and deck-plates, fixing bronze props.Painting,water-blasting,etc etc,i saw people carrying mattresses on-board(or pits as they were called).

I have always thought that was why the ship was in dry-dock,our job was just secondary.:):);)

But where is the gap, jimlyn? What dates? Where are you seeing the "tba"?

From the time she leaves Beijing there is no gap in her itineraries for the rest of this year.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Interesting, I suppose I will find out when on board in November, New mattresses would be good but then most maintenance gets done without dry docking, it is the major refurbishments and such that occur then.:D

Interesting, I suppose I will find out when on board in November, New mattresses would be good but then most maintenance gets done without dry docking, it is the major refurbishments and such that occur then.:D

:p will find out before you lol,:p

Today has been a total revelation for me, whilst floating around the ocean, for yrs in a tin-can I wondered why I was chipping rust, swabbing with hydrochloric acid, and then painting.

PMSL.:eek:

:p will find out before you lol,:p

Today has been a total revelation for me, whilst floating around the ocean, for yrs in a tin-can I wondered why I was chipping rust, swabbing with hydrochloric acid, and then painting.

PMSL.:eek:

Good job then, I think learning something new every day makes it a successful one.:D

On Golden's Sydney - Hong Kong repo cruise in April they completely renovated the Youth Centre and Teen Centre on deck 15. It took around two of the three weeks. There were very few kids and teens on that cruise so I guess it was a perfect opportunity to do the work.

On Golden's Sydney - Hong Kong repo cruise in April they completely renovated the Youth Centre and Teen Centre on deck 15. It took around two of the three weeks. There were very few kids and teens on that cruise so I guess it was a perfect opportunity to do the work.

I have been on ships where they have closed of a whole area to replace the carpets and such as well.:D

Well come October,there could be quite a bit of work going on,as there is an absolute swag of balconies and suites left,with 78 days to go.

Maintenance is an on-going thing on cruise ships. I guess the dry docks are primarily to maintain the hull and any other parts that are normally underwater and, of course, since there are no passengers onboard they can also do major refits of the public areas.

Well come October,there could be quite a bit of work going on,as there is an absolute swag of balconies and suites left,with 78 days to go.

That's interesting. Going up to Hong Kong she was close to full - 2501 passengers. Starting the repo from Beijing may put a few people off as I assume you'd need to get a Chinese visa for that embarkation port. Hong Kong you don't need a visa.

It should be a great cruise though.

That's interesting. Going up to Hong Kong she was close to full - 2501 passengers. Starting the repo from Beijing may put a few people off as I assume you'd need to get a Chinese visa for that embarkation port. Hong Kong you don't need a visa.

It should be a great cruise though.

10 oceanviews left

110 balconies left

70 mini suites left

At least half of the other suites.

Have no-idea what this means with 78 days to-go;

By the way mrs 1 just came out and said hey we haven't booked excursions yet,i looked blankly and said No **** Sherlock,ive been asking you to discuss that for weeks.

Plus I said you need to get VISASSSSSSSSS.

I got the settle pettle we are going for the double entry,give it a few weeks.

Just about chewing through the picnic table here,need to do dry pack etc etc etc.

OH YEAH IM AS CALM AS A CUMCUMBER ALRIGHT.

At least we only need china visa,rest can be done onboard,

Edited by mrs and mrs
no valid reason

10 oceanviews left

110 balconies left

70 mini suites left

At least half of the other suites.

Have no-idea what this means with 78 days to-go;

By the way mrs 1 just came out and said hey we haven't booked excursions yet,i looked blankly and said No **** Sherlock,ive been asking you to discuss that for weeks.

Plus I said you need to get VISASSSSSSSSS.

I got the settle pettle we are going for the double entry,give it a few weeks.

Just about chewing through the picnic table here,need to do dry pack etc etc etc.

OH YEAH IM AS CALM AS A CUMCUMBER ALRIGHT.

At least we only need china visa,rest can be done onboard,

Have flights,hotels, booked, will be in Beijing for 9 days before cruise.Going to the wall,forbidden tomb,terrocota warriors,some palace,hell I don't know I just do as I'm told,

Big breaths.

Maintenance is an on-going thing on cruise ships. I guess the dry docks are primarily to maintain the hull and any other parts that are normally underwater and, of course, since there are no passengers onboard they can also do major refits of the public areas.

Pretty much the situation with dry docks, cleaning of the hull and anything major on board.:D