Wheelchair and tendering on Canada cruise

jcfamily

I recently broke my knee and will likely not be able to walk much (if at all) when I go on my cruise in September from Boston to Montreal. I was planning on taking a portable wheelchair to supplement my walker. Has anyone had any experience on ports where the ship tenders with a wheelchair?

Thanks for any help.

You'll tender in Bar Harbor. If you can do the stairs down to and into the tender, and again up to the dock, while someone loads the wheelchair, then you may be able to handle that port. Otherwise, enjoy the ship that day.

Once ashore, there's a pretty steep (but not long) hill up to the street. That street is fairly flat along the shoreline. If you want to head deeper into town, there's more hills.

In Quebec City, you will be dealing with cobblestones in much of the tourist areas. If your portable wheelchair has small wheels, that can get tough to push; a full size wheelchair is easier with the large rear wheels.

Your other ports should be all right.

I recently broke my knee and will likely not be able to walk much (if at all) when I go on my cruise in September from Boston to Montreal. I was planning on taking a portable wheelchair to supplement my walker. Has anyone had any experience on ports where the ship tenders with a wheelchair?

Thanks for any help.

You can still have a wonderful time! Just want to recommend if you take a wheelchair it would be a good idea practicing before the cruise to find out how far you or your traveling companion can push the chair over carpet. Also outside over various ground. Realistic expectations will make planning much easier.

I wouldn't do a tender with a recently broken knee under even the most a favorable sea conditions unless the captain gave the order to abandon ship. A fall could significantly worsen your knee injury. I broke a foot boarding a tender in the Med when it shifted even though someone on each side was holding on to me. It happened even though I'm always aware of sea conditions and that my ankles and knees can make me a fall risk.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

I broke my right ankle in mid-June last year. We had planned a driving vacation but because I was unable to drive, an alternative needed to be found. A NE Canada cruise was booked instead for the end of September. By that time I was out of my cast and off crutches.

When the time came, I still didn't have much stamina due to pain for walking much onshore. About all I could manage without needing to sit down was about two city blocks. But I still managed to do the HOHO bus in Quebec, a shore excursion on PEI, a walk into town in Sydney, and tendering in Bar Harbor for a shore excursion. It actually was not the best weather for tendering that day but I managed. The worst day for painful walking was Halifax, as it rained all day, so I'm sure the weather was a factor.

You may surprise yourself with what you can do!

We took this cruise last September on the Maasdam and tendered in Charlottetown as well as Bar Harbor. This was a last minute change to our itinerary, and probably doesn't happen frequently, but just a heads up that you could be looking at two tender ports.

Thanks for all of the info. My husband and I were really looking forward to the trip because I had a hip replacement earlier this year due to an accident. When my knee blew out, we are trying to decide whether just go anyway. This has been a horrible year for us and we were looking to have a good time.

Thanks for all of the info. My husband and I were really looking forward to the trip because I had a hip replacement earlier this year due to an accident. When my knee blew out, we are trying to decide whether just go anyway. This has been a horrible year for us and we were looking to have a good time.

It sounds to me like you need a break. I know it's disappointing to miss a port or two, but you'll still have the cruise with no housework, no cooking, etc. Relaxation is a great healer. Access to hot tubs and pools for gentle exercise could be good, too. (Talk to your doctor about that.)

Actually, Bar Harbor is a nice place to stay on board. I'm not knocking the town, I love Bar Harbor. But the ship is anchored close by and the scenery is lovely. You can watch the change in tides reveal the walkway to Bar Island and watch people walking across. It could be a relaxing day having the ship to yourself.

The advice to practice using/pushing the wheelchair is good. If you find more than a few blocks to be difficult, you might talk to the shore excursion people about tour options for minimal walking, if you can manage the steps onto and off a bus.

I hope you're able to enjoy the cruise despite the limitations your knee has caused.

As others have said, the in & out process for the Tenders can be a problem, but if you are using a walker, I'd bet you will be OK. There is a wheelchair accesible bus available for FREE at the Village green that goes to Acadia.

"Island Explorer Transfer Stop

Island Explorer shuttle buses are fare-free and take riders

to many destinations in Acadia National Park, as well as

to campgrounds, hotels, and surrounding villages. Use

the bus to access trailheads, carriage road entrances,

the Jordan Pond House, the Park Loop Road, and many

other locations. Buses carry up to four bicycles, are

wheelchair accessible, and will stop to pick up or drop

off passengers anywhere it’s safe to pull over. Schedules

are available at the Village Green transfer stop."

https://friendsofacadia.org/what-we-do/trails-and-carriage-roads/wheelchair-access/

I'd also contact the accessability Dept at HAL to answer specific questions about your cruise.

For additional information on the ship's facilities or ability to accommodate guests’ needs that may not be covered in this section, please feel free to contact the Access & Compliance Department at:

Phone: 800-547-8493 (or locally at 206-626-7044)

TTY: 800-254-8669

Email: HALW_Access@hollandamerica.com

Good afternoon,

Have you thought about getting a scooter (renting from Care Vacations or Special Needs at Sea) for this cruise? We do that for my husband and it allows home a lot more freedom and we don't have to worry about pushing or falling. We can walk/scooter all over, and have in Alaska! You would want to practice with it beforehand but it may be an option.

Karen

There are times the gangway is wway too stteep for stewardst o safelyl get a guest in a weelchair down the gangway. It depends upon the tides. hard toget them back up.

Edited by sail7seas

Does anyone know if there is easy access to the Island Explorer bus from the cruise port?

Bar zHarbor isa tender port. The gangway up from the tender dock ro the streeet is very steep.

Edited by sail7seas