HAL Summer in Caribbean

sail7seas

Before the recent unrest in Europe, I wouldn't have bet on it as HAL has been doing a great amount of business at a premium price there and in Alaska. Drop in demand in Europe may change things. The other reason HAL hasn't stayed in Caribbean year round is weather, namely hurricanes and Tropical storms. The jury's still out considering the pros and cons.

I have spoken to two (2) TA'S separately in the past week and both have stated the same. People that have booked Europe have cancelled and those who were thinking of booking have not. But both have stated people still want to cruise and bookings are up for the Caribbean and Alaska. Safety being their primary concern for cancelling or not booking. Comes down to supply and demand for airlines flying in an out of Florida for this upcoming season and what they are charging. I paid $325 more this year, a little less than $1000 for two tickets for my flights this January, than I did for the same time period last year. All this in a down oil market.

bob

Hi Scott and Karen. Here in Phoenix AZ, so far we have had 28 days this summer above 110F and several above 115F. To us, the Caribbean means beaches and breezes.:D

Cheers!

But,...but,...but... it's a DRY heat in Phoenix. and let's not forget about the Haboobs. In either case, Alaska or the Voyage of the Vikings seems a whole lot more inviting than the Caribbean in the summer.

Scott & Karen

But,...but,...but... it's a DRY heat in Phoenix. and let's not forget about the Haboobs. In either case, Alaska or the Voyage of the Vikings seems a whole lot more inviting than the Caribbean in the summer.

Scott & Karen

iT IS BAloney when ev erryone rants it is hurricanes. In all our summr sailing, the only time we missed ports and our cruise ended early because of a hurricane was Canada, sailing from Montreal to Boston.

Same ship, same cabin, brings far more $$ for CaNADA, eUROPe AND aLASKA SAILINGS THAN summer Caeibbb ean.

Edited by sail7seas

Scott & Karen

When someone comments about it being a DRY heat, my uncle always comes back with "It's dry in your oven too, and no-one climbs in one to cool off!"

I agree that summer in the Caribbean is about as unappealing as Phoenix in the summer. In fact, winter in the Caribbean isn't all that appealing to me. But then I'm a winter-weather lover.

And I'm gun-shy about hurricanes, having lived through more than I ever wanted to. Even if HAL gave me a cruise in the penthouse suite in the Caribbean in the summer I would not take it; I am just not putting myself in that position.

But,...but,...but... it's a DRY heat in Phoenix.

Scott & Karen

It was a dry heat in about 1960. With the ingress of about 1.5 million people along with all their lawn watering and swimming pools, the basin that Phoenix sits in has formed an inversion problem, holding in a pretty substantial amount of humidity. At 110-115 F, any humidity makes a very hot day all the more miserable.

iT IS BAloney when ev erryone rants it is hurricanes. In all our summr sailing, the only time we missed ports and our cruise ended early because of a hurricane was Canada, sailing from Montreal to Boston.

Same ship, same cabin, brings far more $$ for CaNADA, eUROPe AND aLASKA SAILINGS THAN summer Caeibbb ean.

Last weekend the entire eastern half of the Caribbean was pretty much red and orange on the satellite map, with the possibility of the huge Tropical depression becoming a hurricane. I would not want to have been sailing our itinerary from last January. We celebrated one of our early wedding anniversaries (Oct 2) with a week in Naples, FL and were on the last flight allowed out of Ft. Myers before a hurricane hit. The weather is definitely more volatile than in winter.

I do think it comes down to economics. If HAL isn't making money in Europe due to decreased demand, I look for them to consolidate booking potential to fewer ships and look to alternative markets for a couple of ships.

More than seeing HAL returning to summer Caribbean itineraries, I would prefer their returning to winter sailings from New York -- there is a real niche for a line like HAL in that market, which is currently dominated by NCL and a RC mega-ship.

I agree, I'd love to have a better choice for a winter cruise out of NYC. But the market doesn't seem to be there. Princess tried it for a year (about 10 years ago) and gave up. A friend did winter cruises on Explorer of the Seas for several years and said that cruise had a loyal following. At a captain's Q&A on Explorer, he said that this ship was a lot "older" in terms of wear and tear than sisters of equal age because of this itinerary all year long. Greater temp changes twice a week and the harder work of two sea days at each end of the cruise age a ship.

And that's the other issue--two sea days at each end of the cruise. I love sea days, cool or warm. But many people want lots of ports and instant summer. Back when Cunard was willing to burn the fuel, QE2 had one sea day between NYC and Miami (or FLL?). QM2 can still do that, but fuel costs have put an end to that fast run.

I think your first sea day temp estimates are a bit high, but I have done winter sailings out of NYC and I'd say the first day out was like early spring--cool, but not freezing. To me that's a fair trade for cruising from closer to home. One of my favorite memories of winter cruising is leaving NYC in a light snow on QE2 and being on the beach in Miami on day 2--calling everyone at home to say "Hi there, it's 80 degrees here!"

When someone comments about it being a DRY heat, my uncle always comes back with "It's dry in your oven too, and no-one climbs in one to cool off!"

I agree that summer in the Caribbean is about as unappealing as Phoenix in the summer. In fact, winter in the Caribbean isn't all that appealing to me. But then I'm a winter-weather lover.

And I'm gun-shy about hurricanes, having lived through more than I ever wanted to. Even if HAL gave me a cruise in the penthouse suite in the Caribbean in the summer I would not take it; I am just not putting myself in that position.

:D That's a good one!! :D

I'm leery of hurricanes, too, but I have rolled the dice a few times and only encountered one once. Something others haven't mentioned about summer travel is kids. In a hot climate, everyone wants the pool, and kids tend to take over. Not just on HAL, I avoid summer cruises unless it's a one-off itinerary that I really really want.

I was going to mention this as well - you beat me to it. And it's one of Celebrity's newer, larger ships (Equinox) starting in Summer of 2017 from Miami.

Our first HAL cruise was on Zuiderdam from FLL in the Summer (12 years ago when HAL still did Summer Caribbean itins) - lots of families and we had a really great time.

We ssail Zuicerdam b-to-b middle of summer her IN augural year.; Great cruise.s :) lOTWS OF FUN. i STIL REME3MBER much of gthe crew's names. :)

I was going to mention this as well - you beat me to it. And it's one of Celebrity's newer, larger ships (Equinox) starting in Summer of 2017 from Miami.

Our first HAL cruise was on Zuiderdam from FLL in the Summer (12 years ago when HAL still did Summer Caribbean itins) - lots of families and we had a really great time.

We sailed Zuiderdam b-to-b middle of summer her IN augural year.; Great cruise.s :) lOTS OF FUN. i STllL REM3MBER much of gthe crew's names. :) Edited by sail7seas

Captain wasC

APTAINJ ack

Nj VAN COERVADAN, HINK, nICK BURGER WAS hOTEl Manager as they were titled at The time. I think Marion KoopMan was GRM and Mike Mahn Exec Chef.

fOR Those who SAY 'too hot., Fine ,don't go but keeep in mind some of us enjoy the pleassur eo f our memories and the hope to aqqin hqve the choice of summer HAL Caribb ean crUISES.

Edited by sail7seas

Sail raised a good question and one must think that this is something Seattle is at least thinking about. Next year HAL is bringing the King back to FLL "Early" (been much discussion on these boards) so they now have added "Dead season" (Oct - early Dec) sailings to fill, on their largest ship! We may consider 'helping them out' with one of those sailings...:)

The option to homeport a ship year-round at FLL and offer varying itineraries is certainly worth considering. During the shoulder seasons they could offer several Caribbean choices and mix it up during the summer. A Bermuda run from FLL? How about offering one ways to Quebec or a round trip ‘collector?’ Rather than follow the coast both ways, mix in Bermuda. It would have to be a Vista ship or larger so there are family activities available for the months schools are off.

I will say that I seriously considered booking for next May on Celebrity in the Caribbean. Their enticements were hard to overlook. In the end we decided against it simply because there are still other places we would like to see and we didn't want to 'lock in' a closer to home trip at this time. Still on our list is Alaska in May when there may still be snow on the mountains around the glaciers. If HAL were to offer some interesting options the rest of the year from FLL we would surely consider them.

Edited by StartrainDD

The weather is definitely more volatile than in winter.

Agreed.

Calling it "baloney" simply because that individual hasn't run into one in their personal cruises doesn't mean they don't happen and aren't possible. They also aren't fiction. :rolleyes:

Sail raised a good question and one must think that this is something Seattle is at least thinking about. Next year HAL is bringing the King back to FLL "Early" (been much discussion on these boards) so they now have added "Dead season" (Oct - early Dec) sailings to fill, on their largest ship! We may consider 'helping them out' with one of those sailings...:)

What a kind gesture! ;)

The option to homeport a ship year-round at FLL and offer varying itineraries is certainly worth considering. During the shoulder seasons they could offer several Caribbean choices and mix it up during the summer. A Bermuda run from FLL? How about offering one ways to Quebec or a round trip ‘collector?’ Rather than follow the coast both ways, mix in Bermuda. It would have to be a Vista ship or larger so there are family activities available for the months schools are off.

I will say that I seriously considered booking for next May on Celebrity in the Caribbean. Their enticements were hard to overlook. In the end we decided against it simply because there are still other places we would like to see and we didn't want to 'lock in' a closer to home trip at this time. Still on our list is Alaska in May when there may still be snow on the mountains around the glaciers. If HAL were to offer some interesting options the rest of the year from FLL we would surely consider them.

Your comments are interesting. What about FLL to/from Boston as a coastal cruise? Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk, NY--just throw in a stop in Bermuda for a "distant foreign port."

We did an odd itinerary out of NYC many years ago on Cunard. We went to Bermuda, Bahamas, another island or two, and Norfolk on the way home. There are interesting combinations HAL could put together using Bermuda to satisfy the law.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the 60-70 degree figure in winter. I worked for a firm with it's home office in lower Manhattan and didn't experience anywhere near those temps. NYC was milder than Indianapolis, but still only had average highs 38-42 in Jan and Feb. The average high in Savannah, GA is only 60 in January and 64 in February. I know the Gulf Stream helps mitigate temps, but it's got to be at least 35 hours sailing to get as far south as Savannah (800 miles).

During the infamous Polar Vortex in January of 2014, it only got up to 70 at Half Moon Cay by the time we left there that afternoon. Very few sunburns that day!

24 hours out of New York has you a couple of hundred miles east of the Virginia Capes (the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay) - and in the Gulf Stream. Actually, by the time you are as far south as Savannah you are likely in cooler water because you may have passed through the Gulf Stream which is closer to the US coast that far south . Noon the second sea day may well be cooler than the first because of that - but still pretty decent.

I've enjoyed January and February sailings from New York a number of times - and that first 24 hour change is one of the great aspects.

I guess it all depends on where you have your oven temperature set. ;)

I've lived in Phoenix the vast majority of my 60-something years and can say that yes, 110 degrees (and above) is pretty scorching but with dew point temps around 20 degrees and relative humidity in single digits, it is not totally unbearable. One year in the late 90's in July, we did a short cruise out of Port Canaveral to the Bahamas then afterward stayed on in Orlando for a few days at Disney World. That week was the most unbearable I could (and can now since) remember - temps in the mid-upper 90's and humidity making it feel like "air you could wear." We... were.... miserable. BUT I still would not mind if HAL put a ship year around in FLL. :)

Bermuda is not a "distant foreign port".:(

Well, that ruins my idea. I can see how nearby foreign ports like Saint John NB might not be "distant" enough, but it takes more than a day to sail to Bermuda from NYC/Boston/DC. How much farther does a port have to be to count as "distant?"

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

How much farther does a port have to be to count as "distant?"

Think "another continent", or an island not far off the shore of another continent.

Without looking up the official list, that's the closest way to figure.

In the western hemisphere, only Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao or a South American port qualify.
Scratch that. Ruth's definition of "another continent" is better because western Europe certainly qualifies. But nothing in Canada, Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, or western Atlantic.

Edited by jtl513

Scratch that. Ruth's definition of "another continent" is better because western Europe certainly qualifies. But nothing in Canada, Caribbean, Central America, Mexico, or western Atlantic.

HAL sails round trip, B oston to Montreal to boston. Canadi;an ports have to qualify in order to make that itinerary legal.

Boston toBar Harbor ( U.S. port), Halifax,S aint John, Charlot town, PRINCE Edward Island. tSdney, Quebec City, Montreal to, Boston. We have done that itinerary, over and ov er and over.

aLSO;Seattle to Alaska, stop in CanadaVANCOUVER/ Victoria/to Seattle.Round trip Seattle to Seattle. Canada has to quql or thqt itinerqry would not be permited.

Edited by sail7seas