Pokemon on ships?

topspin1267

I will be very excited the first time someone misses the ship because they were chasing whatever this game involves. It would make my trip.

This is a weird thing to derive joy from, but I guess that's human beings for you. By your screen name it looks like you enjoy "games" as well.

Edited by AdoraBelle

This is a weird thing to derive joy from, but I guess that's human beings for you.

Yeah, but then they would scream how it is the cruise lines fault and whine for hours on here about the worst customer service they ever received.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by JLee1973

Yeah but then they would scream how it is the cruise lines fault and whine for hours on here about the wrist customer service they ever received.

We can definitely make up fictional scenarios all day if you want.

Yeah, but then they would scream how it is the cruise lines fault and whine for hours on here about the worst customer service they ever received.

Will it be Carnival's fault when someone goes flying down a staircase, into a pool, walks into a table in eating areas, even over a rail while leaning and reaching? I see potential problems if Pokémon shows up on board.

Okay so...it's been pointed out time and again. The technology to permit a Pokémon gym at sea on a specific ship is NOT THERE. May never be, or come about long after the next big thing has come and gone. It would take special reprogramming to set it up within the bounds of a ship.

Pokémon, may seem like it's everywhere. But it's not. As I understand ( and techies correct me if I'm in error) there's licensing or rent or pay for access for certain periods of time by local businesses or community/municipal groups. These cover X area and no more. Our city for example had a community wide Pokémon Hunt in a major civic venue a couple of weeks ago for a specific date and time period. Prior to and after that date and time there were no Pokemons to be captured or seen.

There are Pokémon gyms near some of the US ports, Port Canaveral area for example, but none in the port facilities itself. There may or may not be gyms or sites set up near foreign ports. I would doubt any port facilities would ever set them up for themselves.

So put your worry-worting aside and go have a nice cruise.:)

As I understand ( and techies correct me if I'm in error) there's licensing or rent or pay for access for certain periods of time by local businesses or community/municipal groups. These cover X area and no more. Our city for example had a community wide Pokémon Hunt in a major civic venue a couple of weeks ago for a specific date and time period. Prior to and after that date and time there were no Pokemons to be captured or seen.

Without totally derailing the thread, that is not at all how it works. A quick look at a website that lists all the pokestops show there are many hundreds in your city. But Pokemon can appear anywhere but are more frequent near a pokestop. And since pokestops are usually attached to a known feature in your community (like a statue or location or structure), most of them are concentrated in urban areas instead of rural areas. For instance our statehouse grounds have about 20 pokestops since there are so many statues and plaques, but my entire neighborhood has zero. Sitting in my house I can catch 3 at most per day, whereas standing on 1 pokestop I can catch about 70 in a day...lots more if I actually walk around. And gyms are similar except far fewer and don't spawn Pokemon...and gyms are totally unnecessary for the entire catching them. They are just for fighting with ones you have already caught.

Businesses or other entities that have a pokestop near can attach lures (they last for 30 minutes) to them to attract more Pokemon, and that is generally what a community event is...they purchase lures (anyone can purchase them but usually the a business will do it) and keep a set of nearby pokestops active with lures (they sparkle with flower petals).

So, no pokestops attached to ships means the possibillity of catching any on a ship is near zero, unless using a personal "Incense" item which spawns them for 30 minutes anywhere (even ships) but only for the user of the Incense, whereas a lure will lure them only to a pokestop for anyone around.

And that is more talk about Pokemon than any cruise forum should have. :D

While it may not be on the ships yet, or ever, in early August there was supposed to have been a big roll out for Central and South America. Several islands and Central American countries were part of that.

You can find countries worldwide with and without Pokemon go here.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/15/12196050/is-pokemon-go-out

• 1 month later...

I am probably way out of the normal demographic for Pokemon Go! players. I just decided to give it a shot to see if I could use it to track where I go on a cruise. The game did not store location information when you catch a Pokemon, but the latest update supposedly has that feature.

And I thought it might be fun to get a picture of a Pokemon next to some landmarks.

I'm sure there will not be any Pokestops on a ship, so stock up on supplies before boarding or in ports.

Our departure port is Barcelona, Spain and there are many Pokestops there. There are a lot on Las Ramblas where we will be staying. So I will walk back and forth a few times and stock up on Pokeballs and Eggs. I don't know if I can get incense at Pokestops. There are also Pokestops in Palma de Mallorca, Malaga, and Granada. We gave T-Mobile as a cell provider, so we get free data in Spain.

Then 9 days at sea crossing the Atlantic. We will be on Harmony of the Seas. My understanding is that you can use incense to lure Pokemons anywhere, so sometime during the crossing, I will go up to Central Park and use incense. We will see what happens. If it works, I might try it again in other sections of the ship - Boardwalk, Solarium, Rock Walls. We have a wireless package on the ship too, so we should be able to connect. Whenever I see a Pokemon, I stop, so I shouldn't be walking into anyone.

I think that the movement of the ship may be too fast to hatch any eggs. We will see.

Gordon

I am probably way out of the normal demographic for Pokemon Go! players. I just decided to give it a shot to see if I could use it to track where I go on a cruise. The game did not store location information when you catch a Pokemon, but the latest update supposedly has that feature.

And I thought it might be fun to get a picture of a Pokemon next to some landmarks.

I'm sure there will not be any Pokestops on a ship, so stock up on supplies before boarding or in ports.

Our departure port is Barcelona, Spain and there are many Pokestops there. There are a lot on Las Ramblas where we will be staying. So I will walk back and forth a few times and stock up on Pokeballs and Eggs. I don't know if I can get incense at Pokestops. There are also Pokestops in Palma de Mallorca, Malaga, and Granada. We gave T-Mobile as a cell provider, so we get free data in Spain.

Then 9 days at sea crossing the Atlantic. We will be on Harmony of the Seas. My understanding is that you can use incense to lure Pokemons anywhere, so sometime during the crossing, I will go up to Central Park and use incense. We will see what happens. If it works, I might try it again in other sections of the ship - Boardwalk, Solarium, Rock Walls. We have a wireless package on the ship too, so we should be able to connect. Whenever I see a Pokemon, I stop, so I shouldn't be walking into anyone.

I think that the movement of the ship may be too fast to hatch any eggs. We will see.

Gordon

Aside from Pokémon Go, do we have any Pokémon Card Game players? That could be fun for some of the sea days, if we have enough players.