Looking for reviews of 2 West Carib tours (Belize and Coz)

Hello to my fellow cruising enthusiasts!

My sister and I are contemplating a couple tours on our upcoming West Caribbean cruise in Royal’s Liberty of the Seas.

In Belize, we’re looking at Cave Tubing and Aerial Trek (BE51). We have never been to Belize. Have never done cave tubing, I have ziplined once, in Alaska.

In Cozumel, we’re thinking of Amazing Secret River and Playa Del Carmen (CZ1K). We have been to Coz several times, were thinking of staying on the ship, but with three sea days already...

Any feedback or reviews on these? Is there something you took, but didn’t need? Conversely, is there something you didn’t take with you, and wished you had? Want to ‘pack’ wisely for these days.

Any other comments are most welcome.

Many thanks, in advance.

Can't help you with the cave tubing. We thought about it but have a phobia about bats. The caves have bats...shocking, I know (lol) so we did Jolly Rogers Catamaran and snorkeling. This is by far, the best catamaran and snorkeling tour we've ever done on any Caribbean island. The crew was FABULOUS, their snorkeling guides for both experienced and novice snorkelers was great as was the food (and drinks).

In Cozumel, we had been there numerous times and found out about The Cozumel Amazing Race. This was the craziest and best thing we've done in years. If you aren't familiar with The Amazing Race TV series, it's a scavenger hunt around Cozumel's neighborhoods. We started at a church and it ended at a bar with a lot of sweaty, exhausted and happy folks. It wasn't offered by the ship. We booked it directly and it was fabulous. Just something to check out if you are looking for something totally different. As we followed one clue to the next, the locals were cheering us on from their shops and pointing at the direction we needed to go. It was a blast. You will get to see parts of Cozumel you don't get to see on a regular tour and you will be laughing the entire way. Ends by 2:30 and they put you in a taxi back to the ships in PLENTY of time. Great fun.

Can't help you with the cave tubing. We thought about it but have a phobia about bats. The caves have bats...shocking, I know (lol) so we did Jolly Rogers Catamaran and snorkeling. This is by far, the best catamaran and snorkeling tour we've ever done on any Caribbean island. The crew was FABULOUS, their snorkeling guides for both experienced and novice snorkelers was great as was the food (and drinks).

In Cozumel, we had been there numerous times and found out about The Cozumel Amazing Race. This was the craziest and best thing we've done in years. If you aren't familiar with The Amazing Race TV series, it's a scavenger hunt around Cozumel's neighborhoods. We started at a church and it ended at a bar with a lot of sweaty, exhausted and happy folks. It wasn't offered by the ship. We booked it directly and it was fabulous. Just something to check out if you are looking for something totally different. As we followed one clue to the next, the locals were cheering us on from their shops and pointing at the direction we needed to go. It was a blast. You will get to see parts of Cozumel you don't get to see on a regular tour and you will be laughing the entire way. Ends by 2:30 and they put you in a taxi back to the ships in PLENTY of time. Great fun.

I am not saying that caves don't have bats, but I didn't see any in Belize.

We did the cave tubing with Major Toms tours. It starts out with a short walk through a rain forest. The cave tubing was fun and relaxing. no problem. Just wear some shoes that are good for water and walking on forest path. They fed us a small meal at the end. It was good. We would do it again.

One of my favorite shows, and certainly the smartest of what you might call 'reality TV'.

I will definitely check that out. I would want to join a team that is more interested in having fun, than actually winning. Guess I'm not too competitive when on vacation!

Thanks for that tip.

T

Hi,

I can't speak for the RCI excursions you are referring to, but I can give some feedback.

We went to Belize this year and did the cave tubing with http://cavetubing.bz/. I can't say enough good things about them. As far as bats go, they say there are some in the caves, but I didn't' see ANY and believe me I looked (they don't call me 'Batgirl' for nothing. LOL.

For Cozumel, I will say one thing to be aware of is anything that you plan to do that puts you on the mainland will have you take the ferry. When they state a warning about caution if you tend towards motion sickness, they can't emphasize that enough. To put it politely, they KNOW it and start the ride out handing out bags to everyone (and they have trash cans in each aisle). Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Erika

Thank you , Erika. That is a concern for my sis. Luckily, she is always willing to do her best to keep it together.

Still hoping for some reviews or feedback in these two tours, and what kind of stuff you took that you didn't need , or wish you had.

I do know we'll need water shoes and insect repellent. Some cash, small bills. I'm one of those people who likes to take just what I need and not much else.

Many thanks.

Sorry, haven't done either excursion as we generally don't go through the cruiseline. (But if in Cozumel and going to the mainland, I probably would stick with the cruiseline excursions due to the ferry etc)

We did do cave tubing through cavetubing.bz in Belize and had a good time. It's likely quite a bit cheaper than through the ship. Nothing especially that you need to take other than water shoes as you mentioned.

I've looked into the secret river excursion in the past, it looks neat.

Have fun!

We did the cave tubing through the ship. I'm a little claustrophobic so between the dark & the life jacket I didn't enjoy it a lot. In Cozumel we usually either just wander around or go to Mr Sanchos. In Routsn we also did the Jolly Roger catamaran & it was fabulous

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of my favorite shows, and certainly the smartest of what you might call 'reality TV'.

I will definitely check that out. I would want to join a team that is more interested in having fun, than actually winning. Guess I'm not too competitive when on vacation!

Thanks for that tip.

T

I did The Amazing Race Cozumel and loved it! My son and I were a team of 2 and we had a 'non-competitive' great time.

Sorry I have no input on the other excursions.

Where did you find out about the Cozumel Amazing Race? There's a group of 6 of us and that sounds like fun and something we may want to do.

We did the cave tubing and aerail trek back in 2013, and overall it was pretty good. I enjoyed the scenery most of anything. The "tubing" was actually just you sitting in a rubber inner tube with the tour guide pulling you along through the cave on foot. The water is about chest high for most of the tour. I was kind of hoping for a more thrilling experience, but the inside of the cave was cool to see. The zip lining was fun, but the cables werent very long. I don't remember how many different cables we got to do, but i was happy with the amount of time spent doing it.