How much do you tip?

mjmcgove

It's been a few years since we were on CCL. Have they changed the way they charge the gratuities?

Another poster posted that they are added at the end of the week, your post says daily.

I thought when we used to cruise CCL a lot the gratuities were added for the whole week by day 2.:confused:

Just need some clarification.:)

Thanks

Bill

Does it really matter if the gratuities are added each day or at the end of the cruise? It figures out to the same thing and you just pay the bill.

So, if some of you don't see your room steward frequently but the beds are made, the towels/washcloths are new each day and your towel animal is waiting for your return each evening, you feel as though he/she has not done a good job?

Speaking just for me, that is a good job. Our guy went over and above that but I would have been perfectly content with that much service.

On a completely unrelated note, Savannah is one of my favorite cities I've ever been to. We used to have a cousin that lived there. Loved visiting him and the city. I miss Sweet Potatoes Kitchen.

I hope this is the case, someone told me recently on their cruise three weeks ago that both was no longer an option.

It has been stated over and over that both is absolutely an option so whomever told you that was either messing with you, or was completely mistaken.

Edited by Rh2458

Does it really matter if the gratuities are added each day or at the end of the cruise? It figures out to the same thing and you just pay the bill.

It matters to me. If they are charged everyday then I know not to go have them removed until the last night. The lines are longer but don't mind the wait as I'm platinum, I can use that line.

If they are charged day 2 then I can go at my leisure on day 3 when lines aren't that long and have them removed.;)

Bill

I'm certainly no cruise veteran but on Conquest last week we were never asked which we wanted. We got at least twice a day (and I am pretty sure there was a day or two we got three times bc it seemed after a nap when we merely ruffled the bed covers a little and then went out we cam back to newly straightened sheets and covers. And then there was still the turn down in the evening and a fresh new animal on the bed every night).

Our steward on conquest was amazing!!! I swear he must have checked our room 3 times a day and was so nice and accommodating. You do not receive the same service on every ship. My last cruise I actually had to tell guest services I hadn't gotten any service one day, I had to flag her down to get a clean towel, I seen her twice in 5 days (once was when I flagged her down) and I got 1 towel animal. My husband always talks to the the steward before hand and let's them know he will tip them very well at the end of the cruise if they do a good job. I think she was honestly overworked and and stressed to the max. I go in 17 days (but who's counting lol) on the dream and I really hope we get a good steward!!

Anyway, in my experience, Conquest has had by far the best! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cruise_lovin

I'm certainly no cruise veteran but on Conquest last week we were never asked which we wanted. We got at least twice a day (and I am pretty sure there was a day or two we got three times bc it seemed after a nap when we merely ruffled the bed covers a little and then went out we cam back to newly straightened sheets and covers. And then there was still the turn down in the evening and a fresh new animal on the bed every night).

Our steward on conquest was amazing!!! I swear he must have checked our room 3 times a day and was so nice and accommodating. You do not receive the same service on every ship. My last cruise I actually had to tell guest services I hadn't gotten any service one day, I had to flag her down to get a clean towel, I seen her twice in 5 days (once was when I flagged her down) and I got 1 towel animal. My husband always talks to the the steward before hand and let's them know he will tip them very well at the end of the cruise if they do a good job. I think she was honestly overworked and and stressed to the max. I go in 17 days (but who's counting lol) on the dream and I really hope we get a good steward!!

Anyway, in my experience, Conquest has had by far the best! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

lol looks like we started with the bar high! Future stewards better measure up to Junior and his crew! I think I got a pic of your Dream anchored near us in Grand Cayman last week. I'll hunt it down and add it.

It's been a few years since we were on CCL. Have they changed the way they charge the gratuities?

Another poster posted that they are added at the end of the week, your post says daily.

I thought when we used to cruise CCL a lot the gratuities were added for the whole week by day 2.:confused:

Just need some clarification.:)

Thanks

Bill

I'll bite....exactly WHY do you remove them?

We do prepaid tips and tip additionally to those that have been responsible for our awesome experience. The room steward tends to get $$ at the beginning when we ask him for ice in our Carnival cooler and then at the end of the cruise. This amount varies. It's whatever you're comfortable giving.

This is what we do!:) I give $20 tip when we meet on the first day and an additional tip at the end based on the service they provide.

What made him the Cabin steward from Hell?

He never brought towels.

He never collected the garbage

We left the cabin every morning at 7:00,we put the Make Up Room sign on the door.We came back to the cabin at 4PM and the cabin was not cleaned .We would look for him ,leave messages for him and he would apparently "clean" the cabin about 8PM.

Every other cruise we have been on the Cabin steward would greet us on the first day ,tell us her or his name and was always very cordial.

It matters to me. If they are charged everyday then I know not to go have them removed until the last night. The lines are longer but don't mind the wait as I'm platinum, I can use that line.

If they are charged day 2 then I can go at my leisure on day 3 when lines aren't that long and have them removed.;)

Bill

So you always remove the auto gratuities???

Edited by tandemcruzr

He never brought towels.

He never collected the garbage

We left the cabin every morning at 7:00,we put the Make Up Room sign on the door.We came back to the cabin at 4PM and the cabin was not cleaned .We would look for him ,leave messages for him and he would apparently "clean" the cabin about 8PM.

Every other cruise we have been on the Cabin steward would greet us on the first day ,tell us her or his name and was always very cordial.

I'm confused, all I've ever seen is a snoozin or cruisin sign. I've never seen a sign specifically for making the room up.

Was wondering what would be a ballpark number to tip the room steward, everyone has different opinions on tips, I know, but I'd just like to get a number to base off of

I refuse to participate in the "I tip more than you do" Olympics. Such a personal decision. - a decision between me and my creator.

I refuse to participate in the "I tip more than you do" Olympics. Such a personal decision. - a decision between me and my creator.

essentially isn't that what you're actually doing by commenting at all? I would think someone that doesn't want to participate in the "I tip more than you do" Olympics would just skip through tipping threads to begin with.

essentially isn't that what you're actually doing by commenting at all? I would think someone that doesn't want to participate in the "I tip more than you do" Olympics would just skip through tipping threads to begin with.

Interesting idea - but I refuse to reply. I simply can not engage.

We do prepaid tips and tip additionally to those that have been responsible for our awesome experience. The room steward tends to get $$ at the beginning when we ask him for ice in our Carnival cooler and then at the end of the cruise. This amount varies. It's whatever you're comfortable giving.

What formula do you use for restaurants?

I leave auto tips on....as soon as I get to my room, I will typically look for my steward, show him/her a picture of my luggage and ask if they can get it for me asap....$20 into their hands and I usually have my luggage within 30 mins....find a few good bartenders at the Atrium and Pool bars, $10 on the initial visit and when they see me coming, no matter how big the line, my drink is waiting. Small investments like that make for a more enjoyable trip

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

I leave auto tips on....as soon as I get to my room, I will typically look for my steward, show him/her a picture of my luggage and ask if they can get it for me asap....$20 into their hands and I usually have my luggage within 30 mins....find a few good bartenders at the Atrium and Pool bars, $10 on the initial visit and when they see me coming, no matter how big the line, my drink is waiting. Small investments like that make for a more enjoyable trip

Does $10 really get you to your room before "all ready" time. Was it you that suggested that? I can't remember. If it wasn't, never mind the question.

I'm confused, all I've ever seen is a snoozin or cruisin sign. I've never seen a sign specifically for making the room up.

The Cruisin' sign has "service please" in the fine print. I didn't notice it until my 2nd cruise. I thought the cruisin' sign was just so they would know when you were out of the room. I wondered why he felt the need to clean the room so often.

be4d19e653cfcb7ba548cd7b6800c6b0.jpg

Does $10 really get you to your room before "all ready" time. Was it you that suggested that? I can't remember. If it wasn't, never mind the question.

Maxwell, I know you are probably looking for an argument, but hey, I will bite....on one of my cruises, I did not have FTTF and we got on board early, probably around 11:30 am. The hallway to get down to our room was closed off, but there was a crew member standing there. I asked him if I could see if my room was ready as I handed him either $10 or $20. He looked around and said "sure". It happened to be ready , I found my cabin steward and $20 later, had my luggage in about 1/2 hr....can I guarantee the early entry tip works every time, of course not. It did for me that time.

Edited by First and Ten

Maxwell, I know you are probably looking for an argument, but hey, I will bite....on one of my cruises, I did not have FTTF and we got on board early, probably around 11:30 am. The hallway to get down to our room was closed off, but there was a crew member standing there. I asked him if I could see if my room was ready as I handed him either $10 or $20. He looked around and said "sure". It happened to be ready , I found my cabin steward and $20 later, had my luggage in about 1/2 hr....can I guarantee the early entry tip works every time, of course not. It did for me that time.

No argument, wanted to know if it worked! That's working smarter.

The Cruisin' sign has "service please" in the fine print. I didn't notice it until my 2nd cruise. I thought the cruisin' sign was just so they would know when you were out of the room. I wondered why he felt the need to clean the room so often.

be4d19e653cfcb7ba548cd7b6800c6b0.jpg

Thank you! I never noticed that, but then I really haven't used the sign either way before either. But, that may explain when some people are saying they feel the room steward even came more than twice. They were asking for it. That's funny.

Unless you expect the room to be serviced I wouldn't put out the cruising sign. In hotels and on the ship we put the do not disturb sign out. You aren't expecting a visit from a thief but if you got one you wouldn't be the first.

I've never been concerned about a thief. We use the Cruisin' sign when we've been in and out of the room a lot and think the steward would appreciate the heads up that it's a good time to service the room.

The real question is would he have let you go to your room without the $10. Those who ignore the Do Not Enter signs on the doors to the cabins will tell you that they ask and never get told no. Without giving money.

Of course, it begs the question of whether the steward would tell anyone "NO" on the first day of the cruise? Why risk getting the customer PO'd on the first day? They might remove their tips.