CDC issues Travel Warning for Florida

IrieBajan54

Anybody concern about traveling to Florida, especially Miami? CDC is now warning people about the outbreak. Some people did not even know they had Zika until getting checked. Ten more cases have been found in Miami.

Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious disease expert at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, said a larger outbreak of cases would force health officials to reassess not just new warnings for people traveling to the area but its advice for locals there.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-issues-travel-warning-florida-zika-virus-outbreak/story?id=41043460

Anybody concern about traveling to Florida, especially Miami? CDC is now warning people about the outbreak. Some people did not even know they had Zika until getting checked. Ten more cases have been found in Miami.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-issues-travel-warning-florida-zika-virus-outbreak/story?id=41043460

If it can go from the Caribbean to Florida, then it certainly will go from Florida to every other state in the country.

I'm not worried at all! From the airport to my downtown hotel, and from my hotel to the ship and even on the ship itself, I've never, ever seen a single mosquito.

Of course, just like with the Chikingunya (spelling?) virus already present in the Caribbean, one must play it wise and always carry mosquito repellent when going on excursion in the wild.

The travel warning is for a one small, few block stretch north of Miami. If you're worried, just avoid that area!

And no, it most certainly won't spread across the entire country. It likely won't even spread much more north of Miami within Florida. Florida has Aedes aegyptii mosquitos and most other states do not. Most states have a cousin to the mosquito but those have not had any documented cases of transmission, EVER. Parts of southern Texas and Louisiana may see some transmission but it would hardly go much more north than that at all.

The travel warning is for a one small, few block stretch north of Miami. If you're worried, just avoid that area!

And no, it most certainly won't spread across the entire country. It likely won't even spread much more north of Miami within Florida. Florida has Aedes aegyptii mosquitos and most other states do not. Most states have a cousin to the mosquito but those have not had any documented cases of transmission, EVER. Parts of southern Texas and Louisiana may see some transmission but it would hardly go much more north than that at all.

Oh good grief :rolleyes: That is beyond naïve.

Oh good grief :rolleyes: That is beyond naïve.

Aside from the fact that you're disrespectful, you are uninformed about the topic, which can only stir up fear in the community. Take a look at the Chikungunya outbreak in 2012, spread by the same mosquitoes. How far nroth did that virus spread? Talk about being naive.

Edited by Alegeeter

There hasn't been any cases transmitted by albopictus, largely due to the weather. Under very controlled lab environments it has been transmitted, albeit poorly so widespread transmission is not thought to be an issue in those eastern states (especially with the relatively short viremia in the blood). Cities are preparing for the worst but the concern is not great.

Including myself....do the research at the CDC site and the Florida Department of Health.

If you are pregnant or hope to get pregnant in the next 6 months to a year, it is up to you to protect yourself, but do look into it.

I have preached on here and on Facebook previously, when people wondered if they should be cruising to the Caribbean. Got beat up badly by the people that know it all.

To those that say they never saw a single mosquito, tell me how many of all of the mosquito bites you have ever gotten did you see the thing bite you. ?

The virus is passed in two ways, through the bite of a couple of species of mosquitos and from Sex with an infected partner. The symptoms and danger to anyone other than a pregnant or soon to be pregnant person is virtually nothing, even though one elderly person has died with Zika Virus.

Ok, it is not 100% sure if you are pregnant and get the virus that you will have a complicated birth, possibly with microencephaly, but the odds are definitely not in your favor. Ask yourself if it is worth the chance. And I mean ask yourself, do not ask those on the boards who will have a wide range of responses. They are not going to care for your child if you do end up that way. Do not listen tot he well meaning people who say just slap on some mosquito repellent and go about your way. Read which repellents actually work, and choose one of them.

Florida announced the first 4 cases of non travel related zika virus last friday. Today they announced 10 additional cases. That means it was contracted by either sexual activity or by a mosquito. Prior to last Friday Florida had well over 300 cases of travel related zika cases.

It is true that the location is restricted to about a sq mile north of Miami, but prior to last week they were not in the continental US. And yes, the two species of mosquitos have habitat well up into the northern states and across much of the country.

People with the virus travel to the us everyday from the islands and from central and south America. they bring the virus, and if they get bit, they give it to the mosquito who then just passes it along. Just wait until you see the reported number skyrocket. But if you are not pregnant, chances are you will never even know you had the virus. CDC guidelines say do not have unprotected sex with someone who has been to an infected location within the last 6 months. Guys just scoff at that advice, but they will not be getting pregnant, will they?

Please look into the specifics at either site, CDC or Florida Department of Health. If you are in the high risk group, do whatever you can not to take the chance of getting the virus and possibly having a birth defect child.

I am not taking questions, nor am I listening to the nay sayers....Do your own research and decide for yourself.

Aside from the fact that you're disrespectful, you are uninformed about the topic, which can only stir up fear in the community. Take a look at the Chikungunya outbreak in 2012, spread by the same mosquitoes. How far nroth did that virus spread? Talk about being naive.

We've had cases in Dallas, which is beyond South Texas. Zika can also be spread by sexual contact (as in at least one Dallas case), so it's not just mosquitos.

We've had cases in Dallas, which is beyond South Texas. Zika can also be spread by sexual contact (as in at least one Dallas case), so it's not just mosquitos.

Yes, you are correct. In New York, we have a handful of sexually transmitted cases and hundreds of travel-associated cases. Perhaps I should have been more clear in my last post but I was only referring to mosquito-transmitted cases as far as widespread outbreak is concerned. This is mostly because sexually-transmitted Zika is easily preventable if people use condoms consistently and correctly.

No, it's not. They still do not know with certainly how it isn't spread. There is no way this is not going to be widespread throughout the country. Cases will begin popping up in other states, I've no doubt about that.

over 1650 cases throughout the United States, includes all states but 3.

Zika is the issue, and not how it is transmitted. Sexually transmitted cases are not reported for areas with local mosquito-borne transmission of Zika virus because it is not possible to determine whether infection occurred due to mosquito-borne or sexual transmission.

Of course I do not know how many of those "reported" 1650 cases are with pregnant women, but there have been some that I am aware of, some of which resulted in a microencephaly child, and others terminatred their pregnancies.

There is no vaccine, but once you get the infection and it works it way clear of your system, you are likely to be immune from future infections.

New York has more reported cases than Florida, but none are non-travel related....too bad it simply does not matter if you get infected by a human or by a mosquito.

You will see the numbers sky rocket as some blood banks are now testing for Zika. And whoever said it only last a short while in the body, you need to define short while.

The C.D.C. recommends that men who have traveled to Zika-infected areas, but had no symptoms, wait eight weeks before having unprotected sex.

Men who have had a positive Zika test or any symptoms of infection, on the other hand, should wait six months.

So...how long have you worked for the CDC?

over 1650 cases throughout the United States, includes all states but 3.

Zika is the issue, and not how it is transmitted. Sexually transmitted cases are not reported for areas with local mosquito-borne transmission of Zika virus because it is not possible to determine whether infection occurred due to mosquito-borne or sexual transmission.

Of course I do not know how many of those "reported" 1650 cases are with pregnant women, but there have been some that I am aware of, some of which resulted in a microencephaly child, and others terminatred their pregnancies.

There is no vaccine, but once you get the infection and it works it way clear of your system, you are likely to be immune from future infections.

New York has more reported cases than Florida, but none are non-travel related....too bad it simply does not matter if you get infected by a human or by a mosquito.

You will see the numbers sky rocket as some blood banks are now testing for Zika. And whoever said it only last a short while in the body, you need to define short while.

The C.D.C. recommends that men who have traveled to Zika-infected areas, but had no symptoms, wait eight weeks before having unprotected sex.

Men who have had a positive Zika test or any symptoms of infection, on the other hand, should wait six months.

I am very interested in studies showing how this affects those becoming pregnant post-infection ... say two years after? I know we have to wait some time for that, but it certainly is a scary situation. Is it like an Epstein-Barr virus that stays dormant (after the initial sickness) and can activate at any time, etc., etc?

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

once you get the infection, and it is out of your system, you are immune to getting the virus again. But it does not matter much if you are infected and get pregnant, or if you get pregnant and get infected before giving birth.

This information is on the CDC site

If it can go from the Caribbean to Florida, then it certainly will go from Florida to every other state in the country.

The types of mosquitos that can carry it aren't in every state in the country (living in upstate NY comes in handy), but they are in the majority, and nearly all the population centers.

The types of mosquitos that can carry it aren't in every state in the country (living in upstate NY comes in handy), but they are in the majority, and nearly all the population centers.

The reason it will be widespread is because it is not only mosquitos that are spreading the virus.