Aitutaki - Teking Tours vs. PG Lagoon Cruise

Purple22

Has anyone tried the PG Lagoon Cruise in Aitutaki? I've read great reviews about the Teking Tours Lagoon Cruise and I'm just wondering if it is superior to the excursion offered through the ship. My husband will be diving at this stop. I'm also wondering if there is a way for him to meet me at One Foot Island after his dive and catch a ride back with the group. I'm thinking this may be easier to arrange if I'm on the PG tour. Thoughts?

We have done the Teking tour and viewed the PG offered tour. Teking stops at more snorkel sites as the boats are smaller. The PG excursion has 30-50 people which means getting them on and off the boat takes a lot of time.

I think you will be challenged to meet up with your husband if he is diving.

With Teking you reserve with them and they put the group together. With any excursion in the Cook Islands check to see what currency they will accept. When we went with Teking last time they did not take credit cards and wanted NZ dollars. They quickly took us to a currency exchange place to change some US to NZ.

For our next visit we are considering Wet and Wild Aitutaki. Good reviews but fewer reviews. My change is that we will be 4 people and a private excursion with them is reasonable, longer than Teking, but more appealing is that they offer wakeboarding, water skiing, and tubing. While not really for me years ago my daughter tried wakeboarding (only once) and loved it. Haven't made the final decision but it is an interesting option.

With Teking you reserve with them and they put the group together. With any excursion in the Cook Islands check to see what currency they will accept. When we went with Teking last time they did not take credit cards and wanted NZ dollars. They quickly took us to a currency exchange place to change some US to NZ.

For our next visit we are considering Wet and Wild Aitutaki. Good reviews but fewer reviews. My change is that we will be 4 people and a private excursion with them is reasonable, longer than Teking, but more appealing is that they offer wakeboarding, water skiing, and tubing. While not really for me years ago my daughter tried wakeboarding (only once) and loved it. Haven't made the final decision but it is an interesting option.

Hmm, the NZ dollars would be a pain. Wet and Wild sounds great, but not for us. Snorkeling is my main goal and I'm past even water skiing, let alone wakeboarding.

• 1 month later...

We toured with Teking recently (August). It was a fantastic day. The snorkeling was amazing and the picnic lunch was wonderful.

The PG lagoon tour is shorter, about 5 hours. We were with Teking for closer to 8 hours. The PG tour was more expensive, at $159, compared to Teking costing about $90. So you get way more for your money with Teking.

Our group was small. We had 2 small boats, about 10 people on each. I really love the smaller group tours, compared to 30-50 people on PG as someone said.

We booked online. Wendy, they put the group together. We did not have to find roll call friends to do this with us in order to book it. We paid online in advance, so there was no problem to exchange money in order to pay. The only trouble was paying for beer. He accepted US dollars but could not make change.

OP, I have a lengthy discussion of our day with Teking if you are interested, look at the link in my signature below. I do recommend you take plenty of water with you.

Have fun! I wish I could do it all over again!

Edited by luckybecky

When I arrange a tour I always ask passengers to bring water and beer. Then if the operator runs out there is enough. Most of us drink a lot of liquids in the heat and they are not prepared for that.

In 2014 people just added their water and beers to the operators stock after the first round so there were cold drinks for later.

I've taken TeKing several times. When the group is small it was very nice. In 2014 my group of 12 turned into a group of 50 because no one could keep there lips sealed and the word got out while we were on the ship. It turned out to be a real mess. They strapped several boats together so everyone could use the 2.ladders so it took w long time for everyone to get in the water and back out. Then we ran out of meat on the lunch. About 6 boats total, only 2 had shade, the others were a bit tired as well. TeKing keep everyone together, was a real mess.c

So if you go in a small group it seems to be fine. In 2017 for the reunion cruise there is a large group, hopefully TeKing will not be so un-prepared and will have nice shade covered boats for all. If he is wise he will split the group and send maybe a few boats to the same spot at the same time, then rotate, then have everyone gather together for lunch and free time ....... IMO

I've taken TeKing several times. When the group is small it was very nice. In 2014 my group of 12 turned into a group of 50 because no one could keep there lips sealed and the word got out while we were on the ship. It turned out to be a real mess. They strapped several boats together so everyone could use the 2.ladders so it took w long time for everyone to get in the water and back out. Then we ran out of meat on the lunch. About 6 boats total, only 2 had shade, the others were a bit tired as well. TeKing keep everyone together, was a real mess.c

So if you go in a small group it seems to be fine. In 2017 for the reunion cruise there is a large group, hopefully TeKing will not be so un-prepared and will have nice shade covered boats for all. If he is wise he will split the group and send maybe a few boats to the same spot at the same time, then rotate, then have everyone gather together for lunch and free time ....... IMO

I spoke to Teking and he has promised that all boats have a canopy. I will suggest that people carry beer and water to make sure we don't run out of those things. Sometimes it's hard for them to calculate how much is needed.